[RESOLVED] Question? Is the Alpha 12 have more lag than 11

nejhay361

Start the game.. click on menu, then settings.. then you will see a whole lot of options that you can check and uncheck. uncheck everything but music and things should speed up quite a bit

Also choose maps that do not have a lot of water, or a lot of trees. for example a good fast loading map would be oasis, or any desert map

Edited by oddchild

First off, the game looks awesome now ! I love the bump mapping on the hill sides that give a sense of depth. Congrats on a great release and all the hardwork.

I am on i7, nvidia 630m, 14 gb ram, and I just don't get the responsiveness of AoK when I scroll. I kept only the 2 shadow options on and turned off everything else.

Where could the bottleneck be in the code exactly ? There was some profiling done by Ykkrosh sometimes back and I think pathfinding was an issue. Cant it be simplified more ? maybe do it in a separate thread.

I am playing the default Acropolis scenario that gets loaded when someone clicks through the 1st time without changing any options in the game setup screens.

By they way for the initial map load, is it possible to show a progress bar. It takes really long and a progress bar would help.

------ Edit --------------

ok sorry sorry, it was my mistake. it seems my laptop has the silly nvidia optimus thing so I needed to make sure that pyrogenesis.exe was started with the nvidia card. It was starting with the intel hd graphics 3000 and thats why it was so slow. Now I have smooth scrolling and movement with all features turned on and I can play again !!

Edited by madmax

ok sorry sorry, it was my mistake. it seems my laptop has the silly nvidia optimus thing so I needed to make sure that pyrogenesis.exe was started with the nvidia card. It was starting with the intel hd graphics 3000 and thats why it was so slow. Now I have smooth scrolling and movement with all features turned on and I can play again !!

Does every game have this problem or is this something specific to 0 A.D.? If the latter, we need to look into using the best available graphics card.

Well I think some games are able to see both the cards while some cant. I am not sure how but I think there is driver support for detecting an nvidia card even if its not on due to power saving and optimus.

Can you name one (or more) games that detect the presence of the NVIDIA card? That should make easier to track down how they do it.

Well I only found this so far...sounds hackey though : http://stackoverflow...optimus-laptops

It may not be possible to create an nvidia context directly, you may just get an intel one, but one of the answers says its possible to create an application profile in the Nvidia Control panel for 0ad. One of the initial answers indicates that bf3.exe is run with nvidia automatically - battlefield 3 ?

So towards the end he mentions that if the laptop is switched to High Performance from the windows power management panel then the nvidia card stays on and applications should be started with it. I haven't tested that though.

This is a tool i use to check if the nvidia gpu is on : nvidia optimus gpu state viewer

http://forums.laptop...in-users-hands/

Edited by madmax

I found this for Windows: http://developer.dow...ingPolicies.pdf

Starting with the Release 302 drivers, application developers can direct the Optimus

driver at runtime to use the High Performance Graphics to render any application–even

those applications for which there is no existing application profile. They can do this by

exporting a global variable named NvOptimusEnablement. The Optimus driver looks for

the existence and value of the export. Only the LSB of the DWORD matters at this time. A

value of 0x00000001 indicates that rendering should be performed using High

Performance Graphics. A value of 0x00000000 indicates that this method should be

ignored.

Also, for our Linux users, I found some expert advice on the matter :)

• 3 weeks later...