Triggers (split from A couple of suggestions)

Does your idea come with an implementation? ;)

No. Mine is only a rough idea, yours is an actual implementation, so yours is much better ^^.

But in the end I think it is of interest that triggers are easy/short/intuitive to use (not only in a GUI but also as code/text/whatever).

Edited by FeXoR

We just don't have the manpower to create actual narrative campaigns

You may not, but the crowd you'll attract will be glad to make all the unofficial campaigns you want!

That's the thing about triggers. Okay, they're a requirement to make a campaign, but most of all they're a requirement for a solid community and a lot of community content. There will be a lot of silly scenarios made by inexperienced players, but there will be some really talented people making scenarios as well ... and I believe that some of these may even want to help you work on the official campaign!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am really interested in implementing triggers and getting campaigns in the game. Its just there are a few other things that need to be done first. I would think it would be better to have at least an outline of the narrative available first though. This way we could make sure the trigger system was adequate for what the campaign requires.

I remember someone saying they had written out a tutorial campaign. I'll have to find that post.

I don't think triggers should be made to fit the campaigns needs. The map designer, random map generator API, triggers and player-AI-API should be as powerful as possible and general purpose tools (and not designed to work for specific needs and only work well when used as "meant to be used").

ATM only Atlas seams to head the right way (AFAIK). So we need to figure out a new "structure" for scripting or something IMO so that all parts can access any information they want (or at least as many as possible) without causing to much headache to debug (and not only those thought to be needed). In the end this will cause much less pain adding new features and less work to make all parts work well together. We have to keep in mind here that player-AIs are meant to be threaded.

I personally am horrified by the current situation where every part has it's own libs and cannot (easily) access those of another part. I explained why at various parts in the forum and in track (which was maybe a bit stupid because now I can't find most of it).

Zoot noticed that and opened a topic for that some time ago: http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=17052

THX again, Zoot!

A related ticket would be: http://trac.wildfire...com/ticket/1589

Another related topic: http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=16096

We had some discussions about triggers before and it was agreed on (to my disappointment) to wait until part 2. However, if we implement triggers they should be general purpose triggers. Otherwise I agree it's better to wait until part 2 but to implement some basic triggers - because they will be used and it will be more work (including convincing PPL that this is needed) to implement/change to more general/powerful/useful triggers.

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 1

I don't think triggers should be made to fit the campaigns needs.

I never meant to say that the triggers be designed just for a particular campaign. Just that it would be nice to have a sample campaign to work against as we did the coding. It seems like a lot of campaign type scenarios don't require triggers at all, but some other type of functions like timers and such.

Also that its my opinion that high quality content takes much longer to create than the programming behind it (once its begun).