Alpha XIII Name Suggestions

Atenmeses52

I know it's really early for this, but I had a few ideas...

Seeing as this will probably be the last Alpha Release, we should make a good name for it!

Here are some ideas:

-Megas, The ancient Greek adjective for Great (as in Alexandros ho Megas (Alexander the Great))

-Melqart/Milqart, the Carthaginian/Phoenician patron of god of Tyre (the parent city of Carthage) and a favorite deity of Hannibal

- Magna Graecia, the southern region of Italy that was colonized by the Greeks, and was a focal point for the cultural exchange of Classical Greece and early Rome

-Minos, for this I was thinking back to the older Alphas-- like the first few-- where the titles were mostly mythological... I thought it might be a nice way to tie everything together by having a Greek mythological name as the first and last of the alphas.....

Any thoughts?

How about Melqart then-- we haven't done that much Carthaginian stuff and Maurya is a little too well known ( the alpha names are supposed to be a little obscure) I like magadha though

I really like Melqart, but this is the release where the Mauryans will be fully playable, so my vote goes to Magadha.

• 3 weeks later...

The next alpha will include Mauryans right? I think it should be Magadha. It's the power base of the empire. They stretched their hands out from there and grabbed almost all of India.

Also Buddhism, Jainism, etc have roots from there.

I agree that it should have to do with Maurya India, but Megasthenes was the ambassador to India from a Hellenic kingdom in Syria, so, in reality, both Magadha and Megasthenes have to do with India, and Megasthenes has to do with relations between India and other civilizations that are in 0 A.D.

I agree that it should have to do with Maurya India, but Megasthenes was the ambassador to India from a Hellenic kingdom in Syria, so, in reality, both Magadha and Megasthenes have to do with India, and Megasthenes has to do with relations between India and other civilizations that are in 0 A.D.

I'm well aware of who he is, but a Greek ambassador to the emperor's court isn't as important as the power base of not only the empire but also much of Indic civilization. And a region where Buddhism has a lot of it's roots. It's not even on the same level at all. I'm aware he gives insight into the empire(which is rare), but the region is MUCH more important to the empire than a Greek ambassador will ever be. He was one of im sure a sea of diplomats in the emperor's court. But there is only one Magadha.

It's like comparing some Indian traveler that gives insight into the Roman empire to the capital Rome or Constantinople. Which is more important? Not even an argument.

Edited by lilstewie

Why not Mars ? That's the most obvious one :D

As someone said before: have we ever went for the most obvious one? ;) =) (On a more serious note, maybe once or twice, but it's certainly nice to have something more unique. Both since it gives us a chance to teach people about something that's lesser known, and because a more unique name makes it easier to e.g. search for the alpha release in Google etc =) )

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone said before: have we ever went for the most obvious one? ;) =) (On a more serious note, maybe once or twice, but it's certainly nice to have something more unique. Both since it gives us a chance to teach people about something that's lesser known, and because a more unique name makes it easier to e.g. search for the alpha release in Google etc =) )

Will we see the Imperial Romans in XIII?

Maybe we can start creating Legionaries... :rockon:

You have no idea how AOE deprived me of this....

Don't forget the Roman auxilia units... AND the onagers....

Will we see the Imperial Romans in XIII?

Maybe we can start creating Legionaries... :rockon:

You have no idea how AOE deprived me of this....

Don't forget the Roman auxilia units... AND the onagers....

i feeling same, about play with roman imperials, but is a long path, is better for now have republicans romans to test it the game, in final part, the context is diferent, and gameplay features will be interesting. specially barbrians and christians
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ya, thinking about their new technological line,new building models,and new unit models

In RTW,Imperial Unit were Implemented,but one must read about how the system build and changed from augustus's time to

the time of Trajan,even to Serverus.

I think that in imperial rome,like carthaginians can build different "Colonial buildings" and hire different auxillia unit like

Germanic Auxillia Skirmisher

Parthian Horse Archers

North african camel light cavalry or Nigerian-skirmishers

Parthian archers

i feeling same, about play with roman imperials, but is a long path, is better for now have republicans romans to test it the game, in final part, the context is diferent, and gameplay features will be interesting. specially barbrians and christians

I believe that difference can be implenmented as building a christian church or a roman pagan building

(I belive for roman pagan,Temple of jupiter or Temple of Mars will be enough)

and i believe the champion unit for imperial rome can be praetorians

Edited by dajayalol
  • Like 1