population limit

sonthu

Most normal maps have an absolute cap of 300 units. Even if you build more houses and civ centers, you can't go above this unless you modify the map. On random maps, you can set what the global pop cap is - anywhere from 50 to 300 to unlimited. On the page where you pick a map and a faction, click the "More options" button.

Could you please give us more information? What map does this happen on? If it was a random map, did you set the max population limit in the pre-game setup?

Doesn't it increase at all (i.e. in the beginning of the game)? Or does it happen after you have played for a while? What was the starting population limit? What is the population limit listed when it doesn't increase?

Also, which version of the game are you using?

• 8 months later...

It depends on what civilization you're playing as as well, some civilizations get a larger population limit, some a smaller.

I remember seeing it somewhere, But I can't find where it's documented which civs get a bonus and which get less population. I think it should be made clear somewhere what the actual population cap will be for that civ in that game.

Some units take more than one pop slot. I think the elephants cost 3 and cavalry 2.

Yes, but those also add the correct number to the population count, and it doesn't have anything to do with the maximum population.

I've encountered the same problem of population limit, even if i build a house, a new civic center, or another building giving some population, the population limit can't get higher... I don't remember the name of the map.

If I have time, I'll try some maps and give you the saved game.

Anyway, if it's a normal case due to civilisation limits, why on the scenario the limit is set to 300 and not 270 ?

I've encountered the same problem of population limit, even if i build a house, a new civic center, or another building giving some population, the population limit can't get higher... I don't remember the name of the map.

If I have time, I'll try some maps and give you the saved game.

Anyway, if it's a normal case due to civilisation limits, why on the scenario the limit is set to 300 and not 270 ?

The limit you set on the scenario is the main limit, the civilization limits are then applied to that. If it would show you e.g. 270, then it would not be accurate for a civilization that didn't have any civilization specific limit (which in this case would mean that the limit would be 300), nor for one which is set higher than the main limit (which might be 330 or something, I don't know the exact numbers).

The limit you set on the scenario is the main limit, the civilization limits are then applied to that. If it would show you e.g. 270, then it would not be accurate for a civilization that didn't have any civilization specific limit (which in this case would mean that the limit would be 300), nor for one which is set higher than the main limit (which might be 330 or something, I don't know the exact numbers).

Why not refresh the limit based on the selected civilization?

Also if you are using a pop cap this is a poor way to do it. Instead the value of units should be assigned to cause the correct numbers of units on each side rather than directly modifying the population cap.

Why not refresh the limit based on the selected civilization?

Where on the UI exactly? For random maps, you can only choose one population cap for the entire game. I just think it should be mentioned in the history or something a certain civilisation gets a +10% pop cap bonus, or a -10% pop cap penalty. But filling the UI with extra (mostly useless) numbers is not good IMO.

Also if you are using a pop cap this is a poor way to do it. Instead the value of units should be assigned to cause the correct numbers of units on each side rather than directly modifying the population cap.

There is no way to achieve subtle differences like a +10% difference. Sure, you can make all swordsmen take 2 population slots instead of one, but nobody would use swordsmen in such a case.

No, I meant population slots. It usually gets stuck somewhere like 268/300 or 270/300. Today I played Battle for the Tiber and it was 300/300 though.

Hmm, that's a different issue than we thought. Do you train in really big batches? If you train a batch of 30 units, and you only have 25 open slots, the batch won't be trained until you have enough space. Note that some units take up more (like a battering ram typically takes op 5 population slots), so in those cases, smaller batches even cause the problem (for a batch of 5 battering rams, you need 25 open population slots). You can see how much population a unit costs in the tooltip.

• Like 1

Where on the UI exactly? For random maps, you can only choose one population cap for the entire game. I just think it should be mentioned in the history or something a certain civilisation gets a +10% pop cap bonus, or a -10% pop cap penalty. But filling the UI with extra (mostly useless) numbers is not good IMO.

There is no way to achieve subtle differences like a +10% difference. Sure, you can make all swordsmen take 2 population slots instead of one, but nobody would use swordsmen in such a case.

There is no reason you couldn't add a per player pop cap. Unless you already clog the UI with a lot of stuff. Tooltips could help things also. Its all trade offs of course. Most games can't know this stuff unless they get a lot of player feedback and @#$%.

As far as balancing goes, you don't have to do it to swordsman necessarily. You can change the stats and pop cap of a higher cap unit.

I've tested tonight with the SVN version the map concerned is Isthmus in single palyer match (playing as Spartans by default).

So in main game menu I choose single player then match

I choose the Isthmus map

Click on the "More options" button the population cap is set to 300

and the play

in the game impossible to reach the population cap

see screenshots below in the spoiler, before and after building a house the population limit don't change.

This can be very strange for a beginner...

post-15582-0-50044900-1377732823_thumb.p post-15582-0-04198900-1377732849_thumb.p

So after some researches I found the information !! :closedeyes: Just click on the little Information button (yes it's a button, between civilisation column and team column) and choose the spartans, in the Laws of Lycurgus part :

"In city phase, all citizen soldiers promote directly to Elite rank after 1 kill, but -10% cap debonus" :yes3:

post-15582-0-47038300-1377733021_thumb.p

Finally it's a normal case for me, but IMO it is very difficult to found the information (an other method to give the information can be to have the population cap on the population count tooltip)

Simple question, if before the city phase i have reached the 300 population cap, what happen when I go to city phase ?

In plus, I've seen some bugs during the match, see :

- http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=17538

- http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=17539

Simple question, if before the city phase i have reached the 300 population cap, what happen when I go to city phase ?

Just the same as someone destroys your houses when you're on the max population cap. You units won't die, but you wont be able to create new units until you're below the new population cap again.

But you're right that it's not documented in the right places (and not even consistently).