Portable 0.A.D with C#, .NET, Windows 8 Modern / RT

mahdi

Already asked :)

In practical terms, are you saying that (since you "read C++ source code" and then "re-create it yourself" in C#) you are the legal owner of your C# code and you can use it for commercial purpose? Ethically unfair, but it makes legally sense...

Well, now it's clear why you didn't release your code, I didn't understand that you were planning this and I don't like it, I was supporting your idea of using C# because I'd like to get involved and give an hand (write and release high quality C++ code is too time consuming for me at the moment). So is this thread just your "look for a sponsor"?

By the way,

Also there was some brief discussion in the team recently and we are definitely staying open source.

open source doesn't mean that you cannot sell a product. An example is Battle for Wesnoth:

http://www.wesnoth.org/

It is open source and multiplatform, but if you want to download the iPhone or Android version you have to pay:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androthsoft.battle&hl=it

open source doesn't mean that you cannot sell a product. An example is Battle for Wesnoth:

It is open source and multiplatform, but if you want to download the iPhone or Android version you have to pay:

http://creativecommo...nses/by-sa/3.0/

Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

(This is the license under which 0 A.D. is released)

With the understanding that:

• Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Edited by Pedro Falcão

In practical terms, are you saying that (since you "read C++ source code" and then "re-create it yourself" in C#) you are the legal owner of your C# code and you can use it for commercial purpose? Ethically unfair, but it makes legally sense...

That would still count as a derivative work so either he'd have to release his code as GPL 2+ or he would be infringing copyright, as he clearly didn't clean-room reverse engineer the engine.

open source doesn't mean that you cannot sell a product.

But he would still have to distribute the source code and anyone could just release the same for free.

Well, now it's clear why you didn't release your code, I didn't understand that you were planning this and I don't like it, I was supporting your idea of using C# because I'd like to get involved and give an hand (write and release high quality C++ code is too time consuming for me at the moment). So is this thread just your "look for a sponsor"?

By the way,

Maybe you are taking it wrong ? Or maybe i just understood the legal stuff wrong. My port will be open source when it finished. I am not going to do illegal. I wont sell it if that's not ETHICALLY true. its just that.

Look: It is a hobbyist port. And has potentials.

Edited by mahdi

But he would still have to distribute the source code and anyone could just release the same for free.

This is true, but if it got approved and sold in the Microsoft app store, that would be a huge advantage for distribution, so it would probably be worth the effort if the app store takes off. I wouldn't have a problem with this as long as the source code is freely available, and as you say there's really nothing we could do to stop it being sold, given the GPL licensing. Though I'm not sure about the artwork licensing and how that works. Personally I think working on Android or iOS ports would be easier and capture a larger section of the mobile market, but both have their drawbacks as well.

Or maybe i just understood the legal stuff wrong. My port will be open source when it finished. I am not going to do illegal. I wont sell it if that's not ETHICALLY true.

As long as you release the source under a GPL license, there's nothing legally or ethically wrong with selling it. If/when I get a Windows 8 device I'd probably even buy it, especially with some kind of touch screen support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

mahdi, please don't feel offended, but how come you're not even considering developing for the iPad? Forget the iPhone, or any other phone for that matter, they're too freakin' small!

I really don't know anyone with a Windows tablet.

I do know people with Android tablets (obviously) but most of them would never ever spend a single $/Euro on software.

I can't see the downside of developing for the iOs. Hardware and resolution are fixed, the user base, and I mean those who actually pay for the software, is gigantic.

All you need is a Mac (or a Hackintosh, for that matter) an iPad 2 and the annual $99 developer fee.

I think 0ad would top the sales of the AppStore in record time.

So, what are the downsides, please?

Regards,

mahdi, please don't feel offended, but how come you're not even considering developing for the iPad? Forget the iPhone, or any other phone for that matter, they're too freakin' small!

I really don't know anyone with a Windows tablet.

I do know people with Android tablets (obviously) but most of them would never ever spend a single $/Euro on software.

I can't see the downside of developing for the iOs. Hardware and resolution are fixed, the user base, and I mean those who actually pay for the software, is gigantic.

All you need is a Mac (or a Hackintosh, for that matter) an iPad 2 and the annual $99 developer fee.

I think 0ad would top the sales of the AppStore in record time.

So, what are the downsides, please?

Regards,

I know people with Surface and I have and iPad, the requirements of this game is not highly. I never meet a Somebody with aTablet using Andriod. I suggested iPad because , iOS don't have decent RTS.

I have a Mac too, but I prefer play in my windows.

Apple doesn't want GPL software (as is 0 A.D.) on their markets. See Wikipedia App Store (iOS) and Mac App Store.

Even if he could get 0.a.d on the IOS market, he would'nt be able to sell it because of the game license right ?

Thank you both for clarifying this for me. I was under the impression that the Windows AppStore would not accept GPL, either.

So, basically, to get a game like 0 A.D. in the iOS AppStore, one would need to start coding everything from scratch again and not use modules covered by the GPL license, right? Cause that would probablly mean a tremendous amount of work, no matter how financially rewarding that might be.

Well, I'll continue to enjoy 0 A.D. on my laptop, and if the game makes it on the Android Market, well, it would be a perfect excuse to buy a Nexus tablet!

I thought that scripting engines were allowed as long as it is not possible to run any code that is not in the original package. So as you didn't allow mods to be installed it should meet the requirements.

Also for those interested this source linked from the wikipedia article gives a clear explanation of the possible legal issues with the GPL and the app store http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

I thought that scripting engines were allowed as long as it is not possible to run any code that is not in the original package. So as you didn't allow mods to be installed it should meet the requirements.

Also for those interested this source linked from the wikipedia article gives a clear explanation of the possible legal issues with the GPL and the app store http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

Opps, after a little research it does look like scripting engines are allowed. Thanks for the correction.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...