Sound of animals

I noticed that there wasn't any thread for discussion of non-human creature sounds (at least, not that I could find) so I made one.

I don't know how to program but I can provide several, more realistic vivid chicken sounds than the single squeak that the current chicken provides when selected. They will probably be uploaded tomorrow.

That's a good sheet! thanks

this is the unedited uploads of chicken sounds, I'll try to polish it up a bit so the other silent/scratchy/wierd bits are removed, sorry bout the wind. The process to remove the video seemed unnecessary so there's some video which is useless, just me shaking the camera around and pointing it loosely at the chickens. Its MP4.

I'll try to do some more recording on a less windy day.

Chicken_Noises.zip

Edited by AllenY

The file should be recorded lossless and saved as a WAV. MP4 is normally quite heavily compressed, so we would rather receive WAVs.

Could someone start an alphabetical list of animals currently in 0 A.D. and then on it mark whether or not the animals have Select, Attack, and Death sounds. We have a number of applicants working on animal sounds so it's important we don't duplicate the work.

you’ve done that recordingwith a digicam? thats a valid method, but…

those normally don’t output raw material, so the best thing would be a good microphone and a laptop to record things.

eg. with audacity

(thats the best portable solution when not having special equip around)

i’ll look into that file, when i’ve time(maybe right now, no guarantee) and extract the audio

(you should learn at least a bit about container-formats vs codecs; mp4 doesn’t tell you anything about the content)

EDIT1: first look: those are 48KHz AAC LC @ 128kbit/s audio tracks inside(mediainfo says that)

The file should be recorded lossless and saved as a WAV.

FLAC would be a lossless compressed alternative

EDIT2:

OK, I’ve used mkvmerge + soundconverter to extract and convert the audio streams

In the attached zip(2 posts below) you find 3 folders:

original: the extracted audio in matroska container(had to use it, my applications can’t handle raw aac well)

lossless: converted to lossless flac@best compression level

ogg: ogg vorbis@128kbit/s (probably useless for raw, to be edited material)

Edited by luziferius

I tried to open the file luziferius but it said that "The zip file is missing or corrupted" Do you have any idea about that?

I'll get to making a graph or the animals but I'm not sure I can fill too much of it in.

which packing programm do you use?

I’ve created that with 7zip on linux

maybe your programm doesn’t like the deflate64 packing method…

however, I’ve done a repack and re-upload(and removed the possibly corrupted file 2 posts above):

chickens.zip

Could someone start an alphabetical list of animals currently in 0 A.D. and then on it mark whether or not the animals have Select, Attack, and Death sounds. We have a number of applicants working on animal sounds so it's important we don't duplicate the work.

For attack, do you mean when attacked or when attacking, and are the sounds separate? Also, are there any ambience sounds?

Its like human Voices. angry, Wondering, death, Normal Sound if its Selected.

Almost correct. Each animal should have these sounds:

Idle - animal is standing around doing nothing. Ambient.

Selection - animal is selected.

Attack - animal is attacking or defending itself.

Death - animal dies.

Ideally we could have 2-3 variations of each of the above states. The Idle and Selection states can however use the same sound files.