Planned Features

quantumstate

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

And we all know who has the skill to create such an Icon. Unfortunately, it is @wowgetoffyourcellphone and he is someone with his own opinions.

Totally disgraceful!

Ironically, I based them on the Age of Empires III age-up icons. He wants us to make them more like Age of Empires II's. What can a guy do? (nothing in this case)

But in all seriousness, we are always open to new or improved artwork. There are better ways of going about proposing it though. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Ironically, I based them on the Age of Empires III age-up icons. He wants us to make them more like Age of Empires II's. What can a guy do? (nothing in this case)

But in all seriousness, we are always open to new or improved artwork. There are better ways of going about proposing it though. 

The 0 A.D icons are based on Age of Empires III icons.

There is no way around that.

I have a feeling that the claim is coming from somewhere else. I mean it's already something unrelated to what you suggested.

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The 0 A.D icons are based on Age of Empires III icons.

At the time we started making tech and unit portraits in earnest, AOE3 was the latest Age game available and the stye of icons seemed nice, so we went with that. Prior to that, our portraits were really ad hoc and AOE2-like. Todays, they are more painterly with a nice gradient background with some noise added and everything looks like a good consistent direction to me. Consistency is the important part, honestly. The phase up icons stand out for a reason, because they are the most important techs in the game and they are unique from the rest.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

At the time we started making tech and unit portraits in earnest, AOE3 was the latest Age game available and the stye of icons seemed nice, so we went with that. Prior to that, our portraits were really ad hoc and AOE2-like. Todays, they are more painterly with a nice gradient background with some noise added and everything looks like a good consistent direction to me. Consistency is the important part, honestly. The phase up icons stand out for a reason, because they are the most important techs in the game and they are unique from the rest.

I'm not complaining, that's fine. That style suits 0 A.D.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello! I would really like to see in the game, in addition to demolishing buildings, also the ability to disassemble them and return some of the resources spent. What do you say to this? Something like a command button that sends construction workers to dismantle the building.

Or you can simply return part of the resources to the treasury when a player simply demolishes a building. If the building is damaged, then the percentage of resources should be calculated from the current hit points of the building. This option, which is simpler than the one described above, allows the computer player to use this feature too.

In addition, I noticed that, unlike Age of Empires II, repairing buildings and mechanical units for some reason does not consume resources. Is this how it should be?

Edited by Xiao Bao Mei
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Xiao Bao MeiFrom my xp in real world low tech, resource cost is negligible compared to the crucial resource spent: work time. At least for breakage caused by time and weather impacts and so on. Mostly minor damages. (but I also once had to repair a roof partly collapsed from snow weight: a few nails and negligible wood but heaps of time and danger)

Improvisation of a simplistic construction rather than scheduled maintenance of a modern modular machine, e.g. a robot where one exchanges wear parts like valves and so on that break after a certain time.

After a high degree of damage is incurred, resource cost makes sense though. But when you hit that point in real life then you could just construct this part completely new. e.g. a new mast for a ship. Sometimes easier / less costly than sewing that sail back together ;)

Other example: Replacing transmission and engine of a car can be more expensive than buying a new one.

Bolt shooter reusing parts of existing machine makes new construction quicker depending on what part is damaged. Hence repair still makes sense and could still cost resources. But it's not so easy to model fully realistic. Needs trade offs. Something that adds charm to the adventure.

Solution could be to depend material cost on inverse health. So if 99 % damage, then you pay essentially the full price or more due to the fact that it has to be towed somewhere. Material has to be transported a long way and so on.

After certain damage it's likely smarter to just label this not repairable. Depends on what it is. Small or big. Ship can't be repaired if on sea and damage is >50%. ;)

Conclusion: This relates to supply chains. Generally handling resources. If there are no logistics modeled, then there is no need to add a feature that costs resources if actually the transport of the wood would be the highest cost. It also requires more modularisation i.e. entity on entity ("turrets" in 0AD slang)

For  your proposal: @FueledByOCHD once used loot for that I think

Edited by Radagast.