Planned Features

quantumstate

3 minutes ago, Paruru Slowlegs said:

Could devs add automatic pause (at singleplay), right after map already created, but before game starting?

You mean single-player games start paused? That would be a nice addition, it's something I've wished for numerous times.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, myou5e said:

For UnitAI couldn't you simply give ranged units a minimum range and tell them to switch when close? My understanding of javelinists is that they would often only carry a few javelins and would switch to a melee quickly after they closed the gap.

Could but then you'd have some issues when tasking units to attack others :) Although it's not exclusive. @bb_ can tell you more

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, myou5e said:

For UnitAI couldn't you simply give ranged units a minimum range and tell them to switch when close?

minrange is easy, however "tell them to switch" is more complicated. See #252.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, Stan` said:

My understanding of javelinists is that they would often only carry a few javelins and would switch to a melee quickly after they closed the gap.

We don't have a ammunition system (yet) so this might be more work.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, myou5e said:

My understanding of javelinists is that they would often only carry a few javelins and would switch to a melee quickly after they closed the gap.

2 hours ago, bb_ said:

We don't have a ammunition system (yet) so this might be more work.

Ammunition would be a bear to micromanage IMHO. Same with too much weapon switching (unless battalions are implemented).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Ammunition would be a bear to micromanage IMHO. Same with too much weapon switching (unless battalions are implemented).

Depending on how its seen, if it has auto refresh after a time it may be considered Cooldown.

If we have an ammunation carriage like Risk of nation with an aura refilling infantry ammunation could reduce micromanage to only a single unit positioning and opening the field to "supply" attack strategy.

if weapon switching is implemented with automatic switching when ammo is 0 or too much close to use ranged weapons wouldn't be micro.

and finally with batallions i don't see any problem since archers will have to fully retreat with a single click to replenish instead of selecting a whole group of single infantry. Just like you mentioned.

For one side the micro management of ammo would make players twink twice on attacking whitout supplies and relying more on melee infantry/cavalry. and less to massification of proyectil before melee hits.

It has his pros and cons. Wouldn't really know until the feature is fully implemented with every option mentioned above is up to the plan.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It would only result in Micro if the unit AI didn't know how to handle the behavior as Alexander pointed out. If we implemented ammo for javelins now, without automatic weapon switching or some kind of resupply mechanic, then the AI wouldn't know what to do. I've thought this through a lot, and there are three ways to solve the problem of running out of ammo, which should be handled by the AI somehow to reduce micro:

• Resupply, such as repurposing trade cart models to carry ammo
  • Auto refilling, javelins automatically refill, perhaps a retreat mechanic would be needed by the AI in the mean time
  • Weapon switching

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, there's also the fact that I'm not really fond of the ammo idea. Lol. Now you don't just need ammo, you need supply trucks or a cool down or to retreat ur units back to the blacksmith or whatever. ;)

It introduces a game mechanic that some people will not like. True! However, with appropriate Unit AI, this would not be dependent on the players ability to micro, but rather the players ability to protect their supply lines.

If this ammo concept for Javelins and Archers was introduced, and you are the kind of person that doesn't want to protect his supply lines, you could quite easily get by with weapon switching, and also things like "scavenging" the battlefield.

I would be in favor of not implementing such things officially until the micro was sufficiently reduced that this mechanic introduces new strategy without increasing the required Actions per minute to be an effective player.

• Like 1

Javelins with 3 ammo + cooldown would be amazing imo. Increase considerably the amount of damage per javelin and it would really set this game apart, battles would become much more interesting and closer to reality (with small amounts of javs at the wings or front + retreat).

It would also be interesting giving a choice to either use the last jav as a melee weapon or throw and wait for cooldown.

Supply lines would be nice, but I don't think this can be feasible as gameplay mechanic unless herculean effort refining it. Better to start with cooldown.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Javelins with 3 ammo + cooldown would be amazing imo.

Total War does this, once your archers run out of arrows they turn in to the game's weakest melee units. It completely changes the strategy of the game. Having supply lines for your war effort is a great idea, but...

And this is where both Age of Empires and Total War let me down when they came out with newer versions. The more you add to the graphics the longer it takes to generate a map, the commercial games answered this problem by making the maps smaller and smaller. They made the maps far too small to really consider any real strategy in the game, they became simple slogging matches for people with short attention spans. I still play the original editions of those games, the newer versions are of absolutely no interest to me.

I have an idea for a feature that should be within the scope of the current development though.

When building houses a "snap to nearest neighbour" type feature would be handy, it would make it a lot quicker and easier to set someone building and keep it neat and tidy.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Phalanx said:

So, weapon "switching" could be done like in AOE III.  Where ranged units always fire in ranged mode with infinite ammo, but if a unit closes to melee, they automatically attack in a melee range.

Yeah, and you could even have a 2 or 3 second delay as the archer swaps out his bow for his dagger (with a short swapping animation). 

I think there could be 2 types of auto weapons swapping. "Initial" or "aggressive" switching would be like Roman Hastatus who throws a pilum or javelin before closing with his melee weapon. This initial attack would need a minimum range, else they would forgo the volley and just close to melee. The archer weapon switching with be very much the opposite. Maybe call it "defensive" switching. Could genericize it and define primary and secondary attacks and then tweak the min and max ranges to suit.

• Like 1

• Stan` unpinned this topic
  • Stan` pinned this topic