Bundling tutorial videos with the game

Several commenters on YouTube have

that we include the tutorial videos we are producing with the downloadable game, making them available for offline viewing, and have them accessible from the main game menu.

I think people are much more likely to watch the videos than read a manual.

Is this feasible?

Yeah, it's obviously the best option, but videos are a good compromise between that and a simple text-based manual.

It is a good compromise if someone is able to implement it. Otherwise, the interactive path may be the only option (we already have 2 volunteers :)).

• Like 1

Thank you!

Have you had a chance to look at the slightly modified second video on Vimeo? I uploaded it in place of the first version. If you like it, I can put that one up on YouTube as well.

--Brynn

I like your work, too. And I don't think it's exclusively manual OR video OR interactive tutorial. But I'd love to have triggers (and with trigger based random map generation access to all the entity attributes for that ^^).

Brynn, thanks for reminding me, please see the task thread for discussion. :)

And I don't think it's exclusively manual OR video OR interactive tutorial.

Me neither, a written manual must exist no matter what, either online or bundled with the game.

But I'd love to have triggers (and with trigger based random map generation access to all the entity attributes for that ^^).

To be sure, so would I and many other contributors, but we should be realistic and focus on goals that can be accomplished quickly and easily.

To be sure, so would I and many other contributors, but we should be realistic and focus on goals that can be accomplished quickly and easily.

I agree on that, too. Just wanted to say clearly I miss triggers and that their absence makes many things painful and ugly to implement (especially but not exclusively RMGEN and AI), that I'm willing to work hard to contribute to triggers IF the team decides now is the time to do it and that I dream of the day they'll be up and running. Nothing more, nothing less ^^.

Edited by FeXoR

another (and hdd-space friendly) alternative to video files would be using the game engine itself to do the same as the video.

you would need some graphics, and (heaviest point) a scriptable UI, then those 'videos' could be replayed by the engine.

idk what would be more efford,

rendering and bundling tutorial videos and playing those files ingame

or

scripting the UI, including showing overlays and mouse cursor movement and then replay some sort of replay-file that contains all those actions

using the scripts has the advantage that it can adapt game changes easily

Edited by luziferius

I like tutorial videos as an option, but the game data is already growing quite large, so I wouldn't bundle them. We could simply link from within the game to YouTube/Vimeo/whatever. Even if we had downloadable tutorials as a modular option, we wouldn't really be able to compete with the options and quality of established streaming services like YouTube. Plus, nobody wants to wait for a full HD video to download before watching their tutorial, and compromising on quality or resolution seems like a bad idea :unsure: So we could offer the original videos for people who want that, otherwise direct people to YouTube/Vimeo/wherever - the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Okay, sounds good.

I'll start a playlist on YouTube of the tutorial videos. We should link to that rather than to the whole channel.

In the game, I would also like a picture with a "play" button instead of just plain text, I'll make a mockup later today.

• Like 1

This. Videos are the best option and brynn's are high quality.

For my part, not disputing that they are. But implementing a video player isn't "quick and easy" if no one wants to do it.

Linking to the videos seems like a clean solution, though, and allows updating them or adding new ones after the game is released too.

For my part, not disputing that they are. But implementing a video player isn't "quick and easy" if no one wants to do it.

Linking to the videos seems like a clean solution, though, and allows updating them or adding new ones after the game is released too.

The problem is: the people is asking for an offline solution besides written manual. Not saying this must be implemented, but a solution should be at least thought of and maybe a ticket added as "would be nice to have".