===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan War Elephant (and hero elephant)

Mythos_Ruler

I decided to redo the walkcycle since it looked a little static and unnatural to me. Even with my basic animation knowledge I think it looks better now :)

(gif is a little bit slower than normal speed)

7qS4jT.gif

I've succesfully exported a test animation into the game. It plays good (still need to find the adequate speed) but it seems that animated units can't use normal maps :( :( :(

• Like 1

I decided to redo the walkcycle since it looked a little static and unnatural to me. Even with my basic animation knowledge I think it looks better now :)

(gif is a little bit slower than normal speed)

7qS4jT.gif

I've succesfully exported a test animation into the game. It plays good (still need to find the adequate speed) but it seems that animated units can't use normal maps :( :( :(

Animated units can indeed use normal maps. Look at the Carthaginian elephants.

As far as your animation goes, I think the bell could sway a little bit left and right. Also, remember that elephants aren't very animated when they walk.

Animated units can indeed use normal maps. Look at the Carthaginian elephants.

I'm quite sure that they aren't using the normal maps, only the specular maps.

Here's a comparision of the same model, the only difference is that one .DAE was exported with the skeleton (left) and the other was exported without skeleton (right). No changes on the actor.

post-13528-0-56521300-1384094609_thumb.j

Unless there's something that should be added in the actor to enable the normal maps in animated meshes, I'm afraid they're not supported. I also encountered this problem adding normal maps to the celtic wall gates: since they have a skeleton (just two bones for the doors) I couldn't make the normal maps to show. Now I understand why.

I worked on the walk cycle a little more. Now left and right feet are closer when in contact to the ground, back legs movements are more separated from the frontal ones and they do not bend when they push the wheight forward (as it should be), body wobble reduced. Added ear movements on the cycle. Added two auxiliar bones to help with the armor deformation when back legs are "pushing" the armor back.

XMeH4s.gif

• Like 3

They keep getting better and better:) The only thing I don't love about them is the metal texture on the armored one. Might have nothing to do with it's quality, just overall seems a tiny bit off with most of the game graphics (just as the Persian Ram - just had a flash about it). Maybe the way it flows unnaturally as the elephant moves adds to it as well. A chain/scale mail would look more natural, no clue on if it was used on Mauryan elephants though.

On another, not important at all, note, maybe the armored ones could be slightly bigger? It would make sense to me if they chose the bigger/stronger animals to carry the extra weight.