===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan War Elephant (and hero elephant)

Mythos_Ruler

Don't change the howdah too early, Enrique, it is looking so good i'd feel pity to change it at all... But since it is needed, finish the rest before touching it.

lol I considered the other two elephant units as finished :sweatdrop: . Anyway, I just changed the scales color and lightened the howdah, it was looking too dark compared with the rest of the textures.

Can we consider it ready for production now?

post-13528-0-01149200-1361054668_thumb.j

• Like 2

Very good. The scales are perfect. The howdah is perfect. If anything, i'd only add some border to the cloth under the scales (it's still looking a bit artificial, compared to the other elephants), but yes, it is ready to be put in the game.

You guys are really giving special attention to the Mauryans, uh? All the buildings and units are looking amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at lilstewie's references, you'll see most of them, if not all, do. But weapons are details, will only be added when the model is complete.

I am thinking of this in terms of animating, but if the hero in the basket-thing is to attack, would he not be standing up? Maybe he could be sat for idles, but during attacks he would need to be stood?

I really like it, but something is buggying me. I don't know what it is... Maybe it's the specular as wraitii said... Maybe I think the collors of the texture are too bright for some reason.

I think the colours need to be bold. Especially if you are zoomed out while playing and they are in battle and hard to spot.

But the one thing that's bothering me is the legs. Them seem too straight: they don't seem to get thinner/thicker. And they seem to be too far apart too. Elephant legs tend to come close together to help support their huge bulk. Just type "elephant" into google image search for more reference, but here are a few:

elephant.jpg

3273556-large-male-african-elephant-drinking-at-a-waterhole.jpg220px-African_Bush_Elephant.jpg

Edited by Khopesh

I am thinking of this in terms of animating, but if the hero in the basket-thing is to attack, would he not be standing up? Maybe he could be sat for idles, but during attacks he would need to be stood?

That wouldn't work with the current animation system. I've suggested a new way to tell the game which animation to play which would (hopefully) allow that (http://www.wildfireg...54), though.

But the one thing that's bothering me is the legs. Them seem too straight: they don't seem to get thinner/thicker. And they seem to be too far apart too. Elephant legs tend to come close together to help support their huge bulk. Just type "elephant" into google image search for more reference, but here are a few:

When I animate them, they'll bend, so you don't need to worry about that. Also, the second two images you posted appear to be African elephants, not Asian ones.

• 7 months later...

Soo.... I decided to animate these elephants, I worked a lot on them and it's a little sad to see them sliding around. So I took the african elephant skeleton and modified it, applied bone wheight in vertex groups to make the deforms look good. Once rigged I started from the african elephant animations and modified them for these asian models. The death animation was done from scratch. Sorry for the crappy presentation ^_^

I hope to get these ingame soon. (some further tweaking needed)

• Like 5