===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan War Elephant (and hero elephant)

Mythos_Ruler

Again, i know that, im not talking about model, im talking of quality of Metal looking.

Even then. looks kinda off..:/

Still I think it's better to see people's reconstructions only from that period or around it. Not look at armor examples from 2000+ years later.

Edited by lilstewie

that model is why i was talk each plate must be different. i do texture, but im not happy with them. please don't offence or think i want offence someone.

i like that texture in Mogul, the Model are Perfect, only some aesthethic changes for more acurracy suggested by Lilstewie.

Still I think it's better to see people's reconstructions only from that period or around it. Not look at armor examples from 2000+ years later.

obviusly, that why, its important see the evolution the Mauryan to Mogul.

I found this article:

CATAPHRACT AND OTHER ANIMAL ARMOR:

http://www.o-matic.com/blog/?p=2883

imagem-1312230250.jpg

Seems pretty far from our time period. (The cat & mouse armour sure looks nifty though. They'd make fun easter eggs!)

I'm not in favour of grunge being too visible- from an eye candy perspective, a bunch of elephants all with the same grunge patterns on their armour would look a tad odd. (Wonder if there's any way to procedurally generate/paste a layer of grunge on them...)

no no the Armor, the Metal[Texture] of this armor, the imperfectness of each plate.

Some Plates more Yellow, other, some green, other dark, other more bright.

Those plates appear to have different colors because of the specular light reflected (except the golden ones).

Making each plate looking different will destroy the effect of looking like metal at normal camera distance. And the texture with the grunge you added with greens just don't look natural.

I think you're worrying too much for some detail that's not going to be visible unless you play with maxed zoom.

Back to the howdah topic...

I took another run through the whole mauryan civ thread and found this interesting image posted by lilstewie :)

loadingscreen9kvyi3q6du.jpg

I think it looks more "heroish" than a normal umbrella :P

Here's a preview of the non-textured howdah model I'm working on:

post-13528-0-84763800-1360238102_thumb.j

• Like 2

@Enrique: Is this a hero elephant ? It looks like a howdah intended for ceremony, or to make travel an important character (like a lord or a king). It's way too big/heavy and comfortable for a war howdah.

A war elephant should have a howdah half this size, in my opinion, with no chair, and four standing men should barely fit in it.

@Enrique: Is this a hero elephant ? It looks like a howdah intended for ceremony, or to make travel an important character (like a lord or a king). It's way too big/heavy and comfortable for a war howdah.

A war elephant should have a howdah half this size, in my opinion, with no chair, and four standing men should barely fit in it.

This is what I thought at first. But after researching an endless amount of references, I realized that howdahs are not so small at all.

I finally came out with this design so it has room for sitting comfortable and to get up and fight.

If you have interesting references or sources please share :)

This is what I thought at first. But after researching an endless amount of references, I realized that howdahs are not so small at all.

I finally came out with this design so it has room for sitting comfortable and to get up and fight.

If you have interesting references or sources please share :)

I've seen a lot of howdahs that are this big, but they were travel howdahs or ceremony howdahs. I've seen drawings of very big war elephant turrets, but I can't be sure they're not exaggerated. The only things that I guess are not exaggerated are the pictures of the movie in lilstewie's references. In this case we know the elephant can carry the howdah, and can deal with it while shaking, kicking, rushing and swinging in the combat environment. And the howdahs in lilstewie's references don't look that heavy and sophisticated to me.

Anyway, your howdah structure may be appropriated for fighting, I don't know. I'm not an expert in elephants (neither in combat, btw :P ). But if I was a mauryan soldier, I'm pretty sure I would make the burden of the elephant as light as possible (while trying to keep it impressive). I would use an umbrella rather than a roof (or just a small roof, comparable to an umbrella speaking of weight and visibility), and I wouldn't put a chair in it, especially a big armchair like this one. It would be only a disadvantage in combat, it reduces the room for the soldiers, one could fall on it and hurt himself (I suppose they are almost constantly shaken during the fight), not speaking about the weight it adds. Moreover, if a soldier is hurt during a fight, he would better squat on the floor, rather than being exposed to enemies by sitting on a chair, I suppose.

Edit: lilstewie, what are the round white things on both sides of the howdah in the movie ? Shields ? Drums ?

Edited by serveurix

I think I agree with serveurix here, but I suggested you keep it as a special unit :) Why don't you have a look at the Hannibal model in game? Also, soldiers wouldn't have umbrellas, that's a sign of royalty and wealth etc. :)

This elephant is not a normal unit, is the hero elephant carrying Chandragupta. It's the emperor's elephant, so I guessed it would be quite decorated.