===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Docks and Ships

Mythos_Ruler

Alright I've got a quick update for today:

1. Pea**** head carving with re-done bow.
  2. Ropes with tie-downs.
  3. Taller mast and slightly higher sails.

From my view, I still need to add a steering oar for the hull/sail assembly, add a few props, and re-texture for the model to be complete.

Tell me what you think :)

(Second picture is a 3ds max rendering and the first is a Sketchup screenshot. **Textures are only Representative**)

post-14700-0-24985600-1352432410_thumb.j

post-14700-0-43591300-1352432738_thumb.p

Edited by Josh

@LordGood

Nice progress! :) looking good!

Changing the texture on the prominent perimeter under the roof would help to the eye understand where the roof ends.

Also, if the polycount permits and it's not very high now, you can try making the wood floor planks actual geometry. Texture for planks if you want to try here ;)

I think it looked better with the front arch covered, but that's personal preference :P

@Josh

Nice! ;) I wouldn't mind if the peacock head was a little bigger :P

Do you think the interior of the hull should have two horizontal planks to sit there or full deck?

A plank in front, with a visible opening would probably do the trick.

Small concern: your ship would never float that way, your renderings have the water line way too low, and it might have some effect on the mesh itself, you should try with a higher water line how it looks.

try to Export to Blender, that is sketch up ?

Unfortunately I don't have blender (I found it way to confusing). The picture is from in Sketchup.

On another note -- are the Mauryan textures finalized yet? Should I just use the latest textures from the SVN or are these still going to change?

Unfortunately I don't have blender (I found it way to confusing). The picture is from in Sketchup.

On another note -- are the Mauryan textures finalized yet? Should I just use the latest textures from the SVN or are these still going to change?

Yes, they're final (unless someone wants to improve the second texture "maur_struct_b")

You can use them, but I think for the boat we'll need it's own texture 512*256 or so, separated from the structures to look good (and for the sail texture also)

Yes, they're final (unless someone wants to improve the second texture "maur_struct_b")

You can use them, but I think for the boat we'll need it's own texture 512*256 or so, separated from the structures to look good (and for the sail texture also)

I agree, but I'm going to see what I can do with the existing textures first.

Do you have any comments on the model? I'd be happy to modify it if you have any suggestions.

---EDIT---

I just looked at the existing textures and is it possible if you could add a fish texture next to the other food textures on maur_struct_b that I could use for my crates?

Edited by Josh

I agree, but I'm going to see what I can do with the existing textures first.

Do you have any comments on the model? I'd be happy to modify it if you have any suggestions.

---EDIT---

I just looked at the existing textures and is it possible if you could add a fish texture next to the other food textures on maur_struct_b that I could use for my crates?

Yes I can. I'll post the modified texture here soon, I can't commit to SVN right now. But I suggest you to map it directly to it's own texture first, so you'll don't have to map it twice (since for me, the UV mapping is the most time-consuming task). I'll still add the fish texture, it'll come in handy when making the market props and the docks ;)

I'll try to post a new texture for your fishing boat, but not sure if I'll have enough time ^^

Yes I can. I'll post the modified texture here soon, I can't commit to SVN right now. But I suggest you to map it directly to it's own texture first, so you'll don't have to map it twice (since for me, the UV mapping is the most time-consuming task). I'll still add the fish texture, it'll come in handy when making the market props and the docks ;)

I'll try to post a new texture for your fishing boat, but not sure if I'll have enough time ^^

Mapping normally takes quite awhile for me too but this one is coming along pretty quick. I'm about 1/4 done mapping using the existing textures. What I was thinking was to map the boat and most of the props using the existing textures and map the sail separately, as a prop. But If you have the time I would love a separate texture! :) It makes things so much easier.

Here's a very basic texture I made at work. Upgrade it as you see fit ;)

That's maybe basic Enrique, but I still find that beautifully made. I admire that texture work.

By the way, do we have a kind of database of the game's textures ? (not just the UV packed textures, but also individual textures used in that kind of pack. Thanks by advance!

That's maybe basic Enrique, but I still find that beautifully made. I admire that texture work.

By the way, do we have a kind of database of the game's textures ? (not just the UV packed textures, but also individual textures used in that kind of pack. Thanks by advance!

There's the art SVN repo, but honestly, I don't know how to handle it. I have browse permission in track to the art folder that I think it's the same. Erik helped me with the access :)

Untitled17.jpg

Untitled26.jpg

wariBateshwar-belabo-narsingdi-dhaka-tigertours-2822+%252841%2529.JPG

Prof. Rahman believes that Wari-Bateshwar is the rich, well planned, ancientemporium (a commercial city) “Sounagora” mentioned by Greek geographer, astronomer, mathematician Ptolemy in his book Geographia [2]. The other emporia mentioned in Ptolemy’s work include Arikamedu of India, Mantai of Sri Lanka, Kion Thom of Thailand. All of these were the most ancient civilisations in their respective regions, each was a river port, and all of them produced monochrome glass beads. The artifacts found at Wari-Bateshwar bear similarity with those found in the other emporia sites.

http://www.tour-in-b...-bateshwar.html

khana-mihirer-dhipi.JPG

main+temple-khana-baraha-dhipi.JPG

The history of Chandraketugarh dates back to almost the 3rd Century B.C., during the pre-Mauryan era. Artifacts suggest that the site was continuously inhabited and flourished through the Sunga-Kushana period, then the Gupta period and finally the Pala-Sena period. From all indications Chandraketugarh was an important urban center, and most probably a port city. It had a high encircled wall with a rampart and a moat. The people were engaged in various crafts and mercantile activities. Although the religious inclinations of the people are unclear, hints of the beginning of some future cults can be traced in the artifacts. Some of the potteries carry inscriptions in Kharoshthi and Brahmi scripts.

http://subhaditya-in...cient-port.html

Edited by lilstewie