===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Defense Tower, City Walls, Wall Gate

Mythos_Ruler

So, it's going to mostly wood then? This is going to look pretty strange. Structures within the walls are more stronger than the walls themselves.

Man, I'm doing both. Wood and stone.

There seems to be no consensus. Documents depicting wooden walls, references of brick walls. Comments saying there're already too much bricks, and now that seems to be incoherent.

So I'm going to make some variations and I'll let the community decide.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but early Mauryans did carve incredible stone caves, didn't they? So I guess they had some ability with stone.

Those were by the Mauryans successors. Most of the reliefs, cave art, etc, etc etc are coming from their successors ---->>> Sunga, Satavahana, Kharavela. More stuff survives from these guys. Thei cultures are very similar, so there's no harm in using references from those guys. Mauryans only made one rock cut cave we know of. And you can tell they were just starting to cut through rocks, because it's pretty modest. Stupas used stone or brick.

CVt3T.jpg

4Hon4cM.jpg

doAdW.jpg

etc

etc

etc

If you see most of the structures behind the walls were made out of either wood or unbaked/baked brick with plaster over it.

Thanks LordGood! :)

I don't know, every building except military ones and CC has some plaster in it. Initially I thought that plaster on military buildings would look "weak", or not so "menacing" from an artist viewpoint, or they doesn't have the need to be plastered because of its function. I can understand the complaint about the lack of plaster in the outside of the CC, but I was following the general look of Eggbird's CC, maybe I could try to add some more in it before resuming the Stupa work.

If plaster is such an important building material, perhaps some extra plaster variations in the texture pack would be beneficial. Cracked or with bits of stone/wood peeking out of the worn segments for a texture would give us a lot more flexibility while staying within the boundaries of historical accuracy.

Those look great. I wonder how difficult it would be to add actor swapping to the game, specifically for technologies. I could imagine their walls starting out rather weak (maybe 50% weaker than other stone walls), but then improving greatly with some kind of "stone foundations" tech, and the wall actors get swapped with the "half stone".

Aesthetically, I like the "galleries" atop the walls. Makes them look much different from other city walls seen from other civs.