===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Defense Tower, City Walls, Wall Gate

Mythos_Ruler

I made a few palisade variations too, just in case we wanted to replace the mauryan palisade model instead of using the standard one

post-14999-0-25802500-1356228717_thumb.j

Maybe the Mauryan city walls should just be wooden? Or maybe these wooden walls can be editor-only objects (another set of walls to choose from when we have proper wall support in Atlas).

Isn't that building a bit high-poly? It looks really nice, but it appears extremely detailed.

Yeah, and build in Sketch-up, with is nice for fast architectional drafting, but not really suitable for creating game meshes...

Do you have Sketchup-pro that can export to .obj? Anyways, propably one needs to rebuild all of these as game-compatible meshes in Blender, as Skech-up meshes are made up from a lot of non-connected primitives AFAIK. Same goes for the texturing, which is not on a single UV-layout but rather lots of single textures.

What could work is to use these nice meshes as a baking source to make normal-maps from. Here is a nice tutorial for that in Blender:

http://joeyspijkers....malmapping.html

Textures could be also baked on a properly UV-mapped game ready mesh in a similar fashion (and with some post-processing in GIMP), but are these textures from a CC-by-SA compatible source?

Anyways... keep up the great work on these (for the very least they are great concept "drawings"), but for the others... just don't expect these to be in game anytime soon, unless someone with blender skills basically remakes them. Edit: Ahh, just saw in another thread that is is being done for some meshes already... well cool that this seems to work as a collaborative effort!

Edited by poVoq

I just feel like you guys are using a lot of stone on a lot of the structures now.

I dont know how you guys feel about this though,

I kind of agree. I was looking forward to a more "wood and plaster" look. Indeed, I think the Mauryans could be a little unique by having wooden city walls (between palisades and stone walls in strength).

We're keeping that unique for the Romans, so for the Mauryans we'll attempt to use wood with stone foundations/structural areas.

What is unique to the romans is that they can build their siege walls anywhere. Mauryans could have two sets of walls (the second one requiring an upgrade), but they can build both only in their own territory. That way the Romans keep their uniqueness, and we give a new unique trait to the Mauryan civ.

To my personal taste the lowest one could be the wooden wall and the upper one the stone version. The others look really great too, but these two capture the Mauryan architectural style most in my opinion.

I like the wooden models a lot (more than the stone ones), especially the towers witout and with the crenellations, would be nice if this could change upon research. But maybe the place left on the balcony with crenellations is a bit small for people standing there?

Edited by kosmo

I like the wooden models a lot (more than the stone ones), especially the towers witout and with the crenellations, would be nice if this could change upon research. But maybe the place left on the balcony with crenellations is a bit small for people standing there?

You're right, I need to make the balconies larger or make the center hub thinner