===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Market

Mythos_Ruler

• 1 month later...

Pretty good start Josh ! I agree with the "grand" approach, so, I suggest having it even more effective. Here is a super-quick mockup of your model to have two parallel naves :

MdHjNl.jpg

This is a very rough idea, but basically I imagine having an important part of the market sheltered (from sun, or monsoon rains). Maybe having a third nave would work too.

If you keep such roof structure, I suggest you make some use of all this empty space up inside, like hanging market shelves or timber beams, hanging products (carpets ? food ?).

Josh, Ludo, In my opinion, the market should be a modest structure filled with stalls bazaar-style. I don't see the point of barrel roofs above the market.

In addition, none of the props that you place under that roofs will be seen from the camera point of view.

Here are some stalls concepts:

post-13528-0-54795000-1355231518_thumb.j

• Like 1

My original plan was to have the large arched building in the center with 2 cloth stalls on either side of it.

Also, the arched building took a lot of work so I'd like to use it for something.

Edit:

In addition the 0AD art design document dictates "Exaggeration." Now if the market were just a collection of cloth stalls the player, when they see the market in-game, would only think, "generic market, nothing special," but if it is big "Exaggerated" building with stalls around it the player thinks, "Wow, looks like the Mauryans were big on markets and trade." So what is the message we want to send? We don't know if the Mauryans had buildings like this for their markets, we don't really know anything about their markets. So merely on the subject of historical realism here, I ask you to consider a larger more imposing building for the Mauryan market.

Edited by Josh

Josh, I like the way you planned your market. It's "closed" but also open, what looks really nice. Maybe you could do as Ludo suggested or even better try to put more tents outside, crating two different areas for the same market.

Or you could put the tents inside the "cover" structure.

It is reminding me somehow of Assassins Creed 1, or even the Grand Bazaar Map on BF3. :)

I, personally, like it.

Since the engine is flexible, we can always have two variations for the same market, like we have with houses and stuff.

Well, IMHO historical accuracy should be a priority above the message we want to send to the player. I'm pretty sure that in those times the market was a non-covered place full of stalls. Just search "india market" in google images and you can see that even today a lot of them look like that.

It can has a "solid" non-fancy structure in the layout for sure (see celt and persian markets), but I think the bazaar-style stalls should be the core part of the design/layout.

Something similar happened when revamping the Greek market, a lot of the early designs I made had structures/roofs in them, but they were removed for historical reasons. (descriptions of emporion iirc)

I would like to see the markets as a huge space taken up by stalls and tents. Age of Empires does a great job of making the marketplace look like a modern day grocery store.

I agree. You certainly make it grand/cool that way.

btw

This is also a bazaar.

Hampi-Hampi%20Bazaar-3.jpg

Hampi-Hampi%20Bazaar-1.jpg

The Street facing the Virupaksha temple is Hampi bazaar, or Virupaksha Bazaar. It consists of rows of shops showcasing numerous products which one can pick up. Both sides of the street have a series of very old pavilions, some single storied and others two storied. These buildings were once the part of a booming market and house of the upper class.

This bazaar is well-known for jewels prepared by the Lambani nomads and also for embroidered textiles. Shopping here is interesting - one can purchase shawls, skirts and bags among other things. One could also get antique coins as mementos and other artifacts.

http://www.hoparoundindia.com/karnataka/hampi-attractions/hampi-bazaar.aspx

Much later in time. But it's a another bazaar style I guess.

Would have been nice to see a redone picture of it. How it used to look i guess.

Edited by lilstewie

Those stone courtyards look way too big for the market footprint

I gave it a shot, maybe you should put tents around your structure josh, they do help with the overall theme

post-14999-0-01099700-1355630779_thumb.j

i am missing a column underneath the lower roof, must have deleted it accidentally :P

Edited by LordGood
  • Like 1

Those stone courtyards look way too big for the market footprint

I gave it a shot, maybe you should put tents around your structure josh, they do help with the overall theme

post-14999-0-01099700-1355630779_thumb.j

i am missing a column underneath the lower roof, must have deleted it accidentally :P

Good shot LordGood

!

I think the tall building is not necessary, or much lower at least, and with a simpler roof (without those spikes at the top, that look very military).

Also, the gate is a nice idea but may not be necessary as well, or in a simpler form maybe.

The rest is very good.

Good shot LordGood

!

I think the tall building is not necessary, or much lower at least, and with a simpler roof (without those spikes at the top, that look very military).

Also, the gate is a nice idea but may not be necessary as well, or in a simpler form maybe.

The rest is very good.

i igree with Ludo, must be more Humble, think in Greek Market Model.

How is this direction? Without the toran and fences the model seems a bit... incomplete. Something needs to break the monotony of the stalls, but I suppose we have props for that.

post-14999-0-87832200-1356230306_thumb.j

It looks considerably larger than any of the markets we have in-game (even the Roman market which is slightly over-sized IMO), can you place it next to some of the other 0 A.D. market models so that we can compare the size?

Otherwise the design looks fantastic as always.