===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Houses

Mythos_Ruler

Almost every single one of the images posted so far are copyrighted by somebody. :)

Well, when I asked, someone said it was better not to make it public :P

Afaik it was a scan from a book, and thus content we would make available. And while it might not be a huge difference I'd still say there's a difference in linking to copyrighted material and hosting it ourselves. I have no idea about exactly what's allowed and not allowed in this case though, especially since it should be clear it's just for reference purposes. :unsure:

Afaik it was a scan from a book, and thus content we would make available. And while it might not be a huge difference I'd still say there's a difference in linking to copyrighted material and hosting it ourselves. I have no idea about exactly what's allowed and not allowed in this case though, especially since it should be clear it's just for reference purposes. :unsure:

According to everything I've read about copyright law, It is perfectly legal to link to copyrighted content if it is for educational use. (uploading or downloading the file would be illegal)

So yes, it would be legal to link to it here as long as you didn't upload it and nobody downloads it.

(Although you can never be sure, copyright law is such a patchwork of so many different laws and can be quite fuzzy in places)

Edited by Josh

So are we doing the upper scale houses or the huts? I feel like the upper scale houses would fit better with the rest of the building set, but the lower scale houses will suggest cultural heirarchy, therefore might be more realistic looking in that regard

I think having a variance of different houses would be good, maybe two upper scale houses (probably the houses already modeled would work for this) and one lower scale hut-type house.

Nice work as always Lord.

One thing, it my be a little off topic.

But I have notice this is kind of popular. Tree or plant surrounded by railings.

ps247325_l.jpg

019PHO000001003U01484000[sVC2].jpg

In front of this house.

Maybe someone can put this with one of the Mauryan buildings, idk.

Someone would have to pull that from the landscape because sketchup doesnt handle organic modelling well, I can set up the fenced off areas though

Someone would have to pull that from the landscape because sketchup doesnt handle organic modelling well, I can set up the fenced off areas though

I think lilstewie means that you could include the railings in the house space, and that we'll just have to put one of the existing 0 A.D. trees in it. So, no need to modelize a new one, I guess, unless we need to create new vegetal elements for the Indian biome (?), which will be indeed easier on Blender.

@LordGood : your houses design seems ok for me. I just find the fences too large and too thick. Please try them a bit more "elegant" and human-scaled.

About the texturing : on the reference art, we can see 4 differents roof covers :

-thatch

-timber planks

-tiles

-bricks (on the small cylindrical hut on the right of the ref picture)

Good if we can get that nice variety in you set of models.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...