===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Barracks

Spahbod

Will some of these be downloadable? I would like to download buildings as they are being produced. Like a card collection, you gotta have more.

If you use SVN (see http://trac.wildfire...rtoiseSVN_Guide ) you can get them as soon as they are added to the game :) (+Any other improvement that is done in-between releases. And of course + the risk for bugs and instability that comes with using software that's in development. It's generally not much worse than the alpha releases though :) )

Will some of these be downloadable? I would like to download buildings as they are being produced. Like a card collection, you gotta have more.

I've always liked the idea of multiple variations for most of the buildings.

@Omid: Great work so far. I liked the flat roof more but the current one works too.

Amish's barracks is indeed better. But it is too grand for a barracks. Those shields are placeholders until we have some indian ones. The size of the roof can be reduced again. I don't want to add more complexion (balcony, marvelous roof, etc.) to the building or it'll look too grand. In fact it is much easier for me to just reuse the CC because it won't need much 3d modelling or UV mapping. :)

But it is too grand for a barracks. :)

Exactly my point. We might need historians to check this, but did the Mauryans build grandiose barracks? Military buildings usually pick functionality over looks due to always being a target for attack. I'm not saying Amish's model was bad. From my perspective if it were less "fancy" it would fit in the category for barracks. But this brings me to my second point. Why can we not have multiple variations of buildings? Houses have them. I think it would be a killer feature in the game (imagine building a market and pressing a hot key to switch variations or just having it randomized like the houses).

Exactly my point. We might need historians to check this, but did the Mauryans build grandiose barracks? Military buildings usually pick functionality over looks due to always being a target for attack. I'm not saying Amish's model was bad. From my perspective if it were less "fancy" it would fit in the category for barracks. But this brings me to my second point. Why can we not have multiple variations of buildings? Houses have them. I think it would be a killer feature in the game (imagine building a market and pressing a hot key to switch variations or just having it randomized like the houses).

I think our buildings generally look to random as it is. I.e. it is not always immediately clear from the silhouette/general layout that a building belongs to a specific category. As long as it's reasonably clear from e.g. props and how it looks compared to that civs other buildings I think it's fine though as it makes the civs different from each other (though at least some common elements between civs are of course making it easier for players to know which building is which and thus imho a good thing), but I really don't think having variations is a good thing. It depends on what you mean by variations though. It's one thing if you e.g. have different props (though of the same category) and perhaps say a chimney in one place in one and in another in another variation. It's a completely different thing if the entire layout of the building is different though for example.

In either case, as long as we don't have one variation for each building for each civilization I don't think we should add more variations to one building (and again, props is one thing, and houses is also another thing since you don't need to interact with them very often + you have such a large number of them (+they're usually unique enough compared to other buildings that it's easy to tell them apart anyway)).

The "barracks" in the game is just a concept, not necessarily something that existed in real life in the capacity we are using it. In real life, a "barracks" for the housing of troops would just be a really big long bunk house, or a bunch of tents, or just the soldier's own home since he isn't a professional. The "barracks" could even be the military H.Q. of that particular faction, hence be more "grand" than a simple place where soldiers sleep. The important thing is #1 to get the idea across quickly and easily to the player and #2 have a coherent design aesthetic for the whole (Mauryan) building set.

I may actually even prefer the barracks to be wood and use the wood and white plaster style we currently use for the placeholder buildings, and leave the "stone blocks" to the civ centre and fortress.

• 1 month later...

when will the Mauryan be put as civ for random maps?

Since they are already in scenarios, I don't understand why I shouldnt play them in other maps.

I know they still have a lot of placeholders (ie avatars, buildings), but I'd really like to practise on them already.

I have a problem with unrelistic infinit javelos... (who cares?, I know^^)

Will there be a cavalry unit(else then persian wagon) that actually has a bow (and shoot while moving)?

For people wishing to use the Mauryans, edit public/civs/maur.json. Set "SelectableInGameSetup": true. This will allow them to be selected and will work for multiplayer, even if only the host sets this option (no sync problems, it just affects the game setup GUI).

Guess with the exception that AIs can't handle being Mauryan?

Can AIs handle playing against Mauryan human players?

Anyway a good note!

Barracks concept (It's just a concept, not final or chosen design)

Pretty good building ! I think it would feel logic to have the same roof cover on all roofs of the building. I would choose the dark tiles, feeling stronger than the wood cover, and barracks have to look strong.

I pulled absolutely no historical anymcdoohickies out of anywhere for this, Im just going off of the style of my last projects. Enrique your's is much more well modelled, but it looks a little too... 'happy' in my opinion. I have no idea how to make a Mauryan building look 'strong' so I just threw in some wall crenellations mauryan_barracks_by_lordgood-d5k8u7x.jpg

I pulled absolutely no historical anymcdoohickies out of anywhere for this, Im just going off of the style of my last projects. Enrique your's is much more well modelled, but it looks a little too... 'happy' in my opinion. I have no idea how to make a Mauryan building look 'strong' so I just threw in some wall crenellations

Whoa LordGood, nice design!

I also think the hut on the left side don't fit well, but I like the "two level" yard surrounded by walls.

Very nice work so far. :)