Civ info changes

I want to change some of the information on the civ info screen.

Some of the terminology is wrong (e.g., the AoE series term "ages" is used instead of the 0 A.D. term "phases"), some tooltips are missing info (what do the words for the Celtic bonuses mean?).

Also, some tooltips have politically charged value judgments (e.g., Hellenic culture spread because the Hellenes "had superior culture and evocative language"... I think many peoples conquered by the Hellenes would disagree).

Where is the relevant file? I cannot find it.

If you are revamping the Civ Selection GUI, I would suggest adding the civ emblem on the top of the window. (not really in a special window like the old concept linked by Jeru) Also, displaying hero portraits and tech icons next to heroes/special techs would be a nice addition.

I like the current general art style, though, and I'd rather not see it changed too much. Right now, the GUI design feels pretty coherent, and I fear a new "complete revamp" might destroy that. Never change a running system. :)

---

Are there any plans to include a more extensive encyclopedia in the future instead of just the civilisation lists btw?

Are there any plans to include a more extensive encyclopedia in the future instead of just the civilisation lists btw?

Yes, we'll have to see exactly what the final result will be, but the idea is to include both more (non-game related) history info and a proper in-game manual :)

Yes, we'll have to see exactly what the final result will be, but the idea is to include both more (non-game related) history info and a proper in-game manual :)

Awesome :) I always liked the Civilopedia of all the Civ games. (In fact, I may have been spending more time reading those articles then actually playing the game.:P)

I like the current general art style, though, and I'd rather not see it changed too much. Right now, the GUI design feels pretty coherent, and I fear a new "complete revamp" might destroy that. Never change a running system. :)

Didn't I say we should use the game's current UI and the new website (which is based on the game's UI) as a starting point? And yes, it's a "running system" but the current "history" section in the game is not presented very well at all. A complete revamp is in order.

In athen.json:

"Name":"Long Walls",
"History":"The Long Walls of Athens extended 6 kilometers, from the city to the port of Piraeus. This secured the city's sea supply routes and prevented an enemy from starving out the city during a siege.",
"Description":"The Athenians can build their stone walls in neutral territory. Construction time for walls is reduced by 50%."

I tried building Athenian walls on neutral territory and failed. Is the documentation wrong or has the rule not been implemented yet?

In athen.json:

"Name":"Long Walls",
"History":"The Long Walls of Athens extended 6 kilometers, from the city to the port of Piraeus. This secured the city's sea supply routes and prevented an enemy from starving out the city during a siege.",
"Description":"The Athenians can build their stone walls in neutral territory. Construction time for walls is reduced by 50%."

I tried building Athenian walls on neutral territory and failed. Is the documentation wrong or has the rule not been implemented yet?

You'll find a lot of things not implemented yet.

I would appreciate help writing brief (~70 words), yet representative and flattering bios for the following civilizations:

• Britons
  • Gauls
  • Iberians
  • Macedonians
  • Spartans

Here are some examples I wrote:

"Name":"Athenians",

[...]

"History":"As the cradle of Western civilization and the birthplace of democracy, Athens was famed as a center for the arts, learning and philosophy. The Athenians were also powerful warriors, particularly at sea. At its peak, Athens dominated a large part of the Hellenic world for several decades.",

"Name": "Carthaginians",

[...]

"History": "Carthage, a city-state in modern-day Tunisia, was a formidable force in the western Mediterranean, eventually taking over much of North Africa and modern-day Spain in the third century B.C. The sailors of Carthage were among the fiercest contenders on the high seas, and masters of naval trade. They deployed towered War Elephants on the battlefield to fearsome effect, and had defensive walls so strong, they were never breached.",

"Name": "Romans",

[...]

"History": "The Romans controlled the largest empire of the ancient world, stretching at its peak from southern Scotland to the Sahara Desert, and containing over 60 million inhabitants, one quarter of the Earth's population at that time. Rome also remained one of the strongest nations on earth for almost 800 years. The Romans were the supreme builders of the ancient world, excelled at siege warfare and had an exquisite infantry and navy.",

"Name": "Persians",

[...]

"History": "The Persian Empire, when ruled by the Achaemenid dynasty, was one of the greatest empires of antiquity, stretching at its zenith from the Indus Valley in the east to Greece in the west. The Persians were the pioneers of empire-building of the ancient world, successfully imposing a centralized rule over various peoples with different customs, laws, religions and languages, and building a cosmopolitan army made up of contingents from each of these nations.",