modern warfare reaches 0 A.D.

Ilves

>Imperial America for the win! If it does exist in this game?

we will soon (if you can call this word 1-2 weeks) release an update, outlining what is going to be with US in our game. After all, we made all basic American unit list and even most of the buildings (though, unskinned) - these efforts are too good to be dumped.

Anyway, US faction will be available in the multiplayer as any other

Presumably something like this should work:

Create a prop point (or several) in your 3D application at the spot where you want to add the flames. (Iirc it's more or less just to create an empty/helper/whatever-it's-called-in-your-3D-program at the correct spot, name it something beginning with prop- and then make sure to use the same name below when you want to attach something, one of the artists will be able to give you more detailed/accurate information though :) )

Add a prop in the actor XML something like: <prop actor="particle/smoke_light.xml" attachpoint="smoke"/> (see e.g. binaries\data\mods\public\art\actors\units\athenians\siege_rock.xml to get an example of how it looks in an actual file)

I would guess the existing flame particles are good starting points, for more information on how the particles work see: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ParticleFormat

1) Unfortunately the particles just go upwards through the plane, no matter how do I rotate and orient the helper:

screenshot0024d.jpg

Any ideas how to solve that? :X

2) Secondly I want to make take off animation. This is the position of the plane on the ground. How do I make him to hide the chassis, close the hatch you can see at the picture and rotate the engine (this plane is a VTOL)?

3) Oh yes, I've just mentioned it's a VTOL - so it stands for Vertical take-off and Landing. Guess what I want to get to know in this question :P

4) Is it feasible to make the rockets of the plane to disappear one by one when they are shot? And anyway I want to get to know how can I make those rocket being shot and flying to the target. I guess it's someway likewise how the spearman throws his missiles, but I need a clue.

For the fire in the jets you could also make a hack... there's support for moving (looping) textures, along the Y axis of the texture (you can check the waterfalls on the hanging gardens building) and the second UV coordinates dictates the fading into transparency in the X axis: -X is no transparency, +X full transparency. It will probably look better if you can achieve the particle effects to behave the way you want, but it's another option :P

Awesome progress guys!

For this, I believe you need to hack the UnitMotionFlying component: https://github.com/0...MotionFlying.js

cool, but I am not a js programmer

For the fire in the jets you could also make a hack... there's support for moving (looping) textures, along the Y axis of the texture (you can check the waterfalls on the hanging gardens building) and the second UV coordinates dictates the fading into transparency in the X axis: -X is no transparency, +X full transparency. It will probably look better if you can achieve the particle effects to behave the way you want, but it's another option :P

Awesome progress guys!

Thanks!

I think that's a way to make 2 dimensional simple fire texture. While we need smth different :/

It ought to be simple to make the particles go upwards, though. Someone probably knows which file to tweak.

We need it to go BACKWARDS relative to the plane :\ It's upwards already.

It should be possible to adjust the particles to go sideways. I don't know the parameters well enough to say exactly how, but from a quick look I would assume velocity should be enough, or maybe you need to edit force as well :unsure: It seems from the parameters that it should be possible to do though, so with some experimentation you should be able to get it working.

It should be possible to adjust the particles to go sideways. I don't know the parameters well enough to say exactly how, but from a quick look I would assume velocity should be enough, or maybe you need to edit force as well :unsure: It seems from the parameters that it should be possible to do though, so with some experimentation you should be able to get it working.

Here is the wiki page for particles. It goes into detail what each parameter does.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ParticleFormat

ok, I made the flames going horizontally.

It doesn't get easier: the orientation of the particles is GLOBAL and not relative to the prop

94222220.jpg

The particles always go in the specific direction, instead of adjusting their direction with the model.

C'mon guys, I really need help at getting all this functional :/

Edited by Ilves

Possible answer for the particle problem:

First a tip:

Static Atlas is not a reference to see the way particles behave. I don't know if you have played the game, but the flaming rock looks great ingame, it follows the projectile. So if it follows the projectile it could also follow your unit. Sure, there is a lot of room to improvement in the particle area,afterall, it's an Alpha game,, but try it in motion. Particles always looks better in motion.

Then the solution I came up with. It's really simple.

All you have to do is to attribute almost 0 as the velocity, but let it have a good lifetime. This way the particle will follow the emitter and it will not "missbehave" globally.

Here's a pic of my quick experiment with making the female heads flamable (it was really fun :P, like OH MY!!!!! MAH HEAD IS ON FIREZ) :

M1K1bND.jpg

And here's the code - just modified the flame.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<particles>
<texture>art/textures/particles/flame.png</texture>
<blend mode="add"/>
<start_full/>
<constant name="emissionrate" value="20.0"/>
<uniform name="lifetime" min="1.0" max="1.5"/>
<uniform name="angle" min="-0.5" max="0.5"/>
<uniform name="velocity.x" min="-0.1" max="0.1"/>
<uniform name="velocity.y" min="-0.1" max="0.1"/>
<uniform name="velocity.z" min="-0.1" max="0.1"/>
<uniform name="velocity.angle" min="-0.5" max="0.5"/>
<uniform name="size" min="1.0" max="2.0"/>
<uniform name="color.r" min="0.8" max="1.0"/>
<copy name="color.g" from="color.r"/>
<copy name="color.b" from="color.r"/>
</particles>

I could have used the "constant" attribute to define the parameter - explained on the wiki link Michael gave to you -, but with a small & random speed it makes things more interesting and realistic.

And there you go. :)

Hope you like it.

Any more questions, feel free to post and we'll try our best to answer you.

PS: Of course this is just a hack, but hopefully particles will be worked out and improved soon.

Brofist!

2013-03-15_002.jpg

2013-03-15.jpg

Though as you correctly mentioned it's just a hack and doesn't work pefectly, now my point of questioning changes to how to make animations (landing gears hiding inside the plane after it takes off and the engine rotates).

Glad I could have helped out!

If been taking a look at the current "UnityMotionFlying" thing and it's currently really primitive. I mean, just playing the flight demo maps and you'll get what I mean. The planes don't take off correctly, they don't turn correctly, they don't fire correctly, ect. Given that, I think you should probably scrap the idea of working planes for now, at least untill you get a programmer on your team.

About animations: Well, I'm not an animator, but I think I could give you a few tips. First, the model needs to be rigged with a skeleton that should be codded whitin the skeleton.xml file.

Also, you would need to define a whole new lots of parameters, since the ones the engine has are pretty limited for what you want to do. If you take a look at the actor.xml file for an unit, let's say, the cavalary javelinist, you'll see this:

<animations>
<animation file="quadraped/horse_idle_a.psa" name="Idle" speed="50"/>
<animation file="quadraped/horse_walk.psa" name="Walk" speed="120"/>
<animation file="quadraped/horse_gallop.psa" name="Run" speed="40"/>
<animation file="quadraped/horse_walk.psa" name="carry_meat" speed="120"/>
<animation event=".5" file="quadraped/horse_attack_a.psa" name="attack_ranged" speed="20"/>
<animation event=".5" file="quadraped/horse_attack_b.psa" name="attack_ranged" speed="20"/>
<animation event="" file="quadraped/horse_attack_a.psa" name="attack_slaughter" speed="20"/>
<animation file="quadraped/horse_death.psa" name="death" speed="240"/>
</animations>

If you take a closer look, you'll see that each animation is defined by an event. You would need to add new events whitin the engine. I'm not sure how to add them, but I believe they might be hardcoded. And you must make sure that the event is working the way it was supposed to work and that if your animation is playing correctly. A programmer should be abble to assist you more.

Peharps you could see a way to mimic the way aircrafts worked on C&C Generals or C&C3 and implement it to the engine.