modern warfare reaches 0 A.D.

Ilves

• 2 weeks later...

The links don't work for me either.

Something got to my mind: We'd be able to use a "turret" in 0 A.D. for horse archers/javalineers. Making them able to shoot as they walk.

That's the plan. Especially useful for carriot and elephant tower archers that are completely independant of the driver, and so can in theory turn 360 degrees.

Ok ,i have been trying to get a model ingame myself but the transparency dosent seem to work :(

https://dl.dropbox.c...3624/ingame.png

the skin has the alpha channel set up right i think .

https://dl.dropbox.c...58013624/sd.png

What might be the problem ?

Are you exporting a DDS or a PNG texture? With PNG you may need to use the SuperPNG plugin so that the alpha is correctly exported, if saving as DDS make sure you're using DXT5 and not DXT1.

In the actor that calls the texture file make sure the material is <material>basic_trans.xml</material> This uses the texture's alpha channel to show transparency, rather than player colour etc.

Great.

Any particular reason you don't go open source like 0 A.D. has? Surely, you would be able to get many programmers if you did...

I also agree about the lack of openness possibly putting off programmers. Also it is pretty hard to tell if you will use pyrogenesis (are you planning to?). Also in the summary you mention "C++\C# coder" when pyrogenesis uses a mix of C++ and javascript. I would personally be looking for quite a lot more technical information before contacting you.

Any responses to these questions guys?

Yeah we will go open source :) However dont know how that would help us to get any extra help :\

We set our plans for a basic built that will include 2 factions ,most units are already done ,only 2 of them remain to be skinned and a few buildings remain to be mapped and skinned.

Edited by CTLN7

Yeah we will go open source :) However dont know how that would help us to get any extra help :\

Most programmers would balk at the proposition of working for free on a proprietary project.

(Unscientific, yet truthful observation ;))

Edited by zoot

Right

Anyway i have managed to import all 4 buildings for the first faction :

https://dl.dropbox.c.../buildings2.png

Now i need to figure out why speculars and normal maps arent showing up :(

Probably the actor file again. Maybe take a look at some of the existing buildings, also you can see the available materials in binaries/mods/public/art/materials. I would guess that basic_trans_spec would be what you want.

Yeah copied one of the already existing building's code ,added "basic_trans_spec " but it still dosent work :(

This is how it looks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<actor version="1">

<castshadow/>

<group>

<variant frequency="100" name="Base">

<mesh>structural/rome_factory.dae</mesh>

<textures>

<texture file="structural/rome_factory.dds" name="baseTex"/>

<texture file="structural/rome_factory_norm.dds" name="normTex"/>

<texture file="structural/rome_factory_spec.dds" name="specTex"/>

</textures>

</variant>

</group>

<material>basic_trans_spec.xml</material>

</actor>

Edited by CTLN7

Right

Anyway i have managed to import all 4 buildings for the first faction :

https://dl.dropbox.c.../buildings2.png

Now i need to figure out why speculars and normal maps arent showing up :(

If you want normals/parallax, specularity and transparency, you should use this material: <material>basic_trans_parallax_spec.xml</material>

EDIT: If you want add parallax effect in top of the normal bump, you should use a black and white image as the alpha channel of the normal map.

Edited by Enrique

About the license, 0 A.D. is mostly GPL (engine) and CC-BY-SA 3.0 (arts), both licenses are copyleft, so you are required to keep the same licenses for your modification.

They are not strictly required to use CC-BY-SA for their original art, but again, it is easier to attract contributors if they do.

Edited by zoot
  • Like 1

If you want normals/parallax, specularity and transparency, you should use this material: <material>basic_trans_parallax_spec.xml</material>

EDIT: If you want add parallax effect in top of the normal bump, you should use a black and white image as the alpha channel of the normal map.

Dosen't seem to work for me :( I will try another time right now i want to know how can i create a new faction .

Edited by CTLN7

Dosen't seem to work for me :( I will try another time right now i want to know how can i create a new faction .

Making a new faction is simple. Either make a new mod folder or use the public folder (in data/mods/public). In the civs folder there you'll find JSON files for each civ in the game. Copy one and adjust the data inside. Now you've got a new faction added :) Set the starting units and building to your desired units and building, and it should work.