3D artist - Mirek

Mirek

About the biomes, rocks need an overall update through the entire game.

I see, I'll use MAPS AND BIOME GUIDE for specific examples.

Once you finished your models and they're ready to import them in-game, you'll see how we "tell" the engine which parts use transparency

I look forward to :)

UV unwrapping.

Yes, It's tricky.

Thanks for sharing the wealth. Some things were completely new for me (conformal unwrapping, using pivot point...). I was using quick'n'dirty Smart UV Projects, but your technique with pivot point is able to achieve better resolution. I'll play with that...

Desert rocks with some vegetation...

post-14971-0-16683600-1351275980_thumb.ppost-14971-0-99894400-1351275992_thumb.p

..I left it a little angular as before. Is it too much?

post-14971-0-22099900-1351275578_thumb.ppost-14971-0-30103800-1351275592_thumb.p

.."sand dune" test (225 faces). Good idea or not? (I suppose that sand is default ground in desert biome, so it should merge together and look more realistic with sand dunes.)

as far as I'm aware of, we really need to get some snowy rocks out

On it. My "polar" design test (I know - trees are terrible - experiment. But do you like those stones?):

post-14971-0-34808400-1351275629_thumb.p
  • Like 2

I see, I'll use MAPS AND BIOME GUIDE for specific examples.

I look forward to :)

Thanks for sharing the wealth. Some things were completely new for me (conformal unwrapping, using pivot point...). I was using quick'n'dirty Smart UV Projects, but your technique with pivot point is able to achieve better resolution. I'll play with that...

Desert rocks with some vegetation...

post-14971-0-16683600-1351275980_thumb.ppost-14971-0-99894400-1351275992_thumb.p

..I left it a little angular as before. Is it too much?

post-14971-0-22099900-1351275578_thumb.ppost-14971-0-30103800-1351275592_thumb.p

.."sand dune" test (225 faces). Good idea or not? (I suppose that sand is default ground in desert biome, so it should merge together and look more realistic with sand dunes.)

On it. My "polar" design test (I know - trees are terrible - experiment. But do you like those stones?):

post-14971-0-34808400-1351275629_thumb.p

:) Nice work man!

I think the angular formation looks nice. And nice touch with the vegetation ;)

The sand dune rocks formation is a very nice Idea, I like it and they look nice. However, I think that the erosion and sand on the top part of the rock looks nice but it's not very realistic. I think it would be better to focus on the "sand covered" and erosion part of the rocks to be on one side of them rather than in the top, like if the wind blow from that direction for very long time.

Polar rocks are looking nice also :)

I'll write some the steps you have to follow in order to test your creation in-game (or point you to the tutorial that if I remember correctly a team member did) so you can get visual feedback of the final result ;)

Nice work, keep it up Mirek! :thumbsup:

:) Nice work man!

I think the angular formation looks nice. And nice touch with the vegetation ;)

I don't like any vegetation in deserts, although I know that some plants tend to grow near some rocks. It's just a matter of which kind of biome are we going to create ;) If it's something like Saara, we shouldn't have any. Or if it's a Oasis we would have vegetation near it. However if we're going for some Sahel parts, or maybe even a place with dry season, then it looks nice :)

The sand dune rocks formation is a very nice Idea, I like it and they look nice. However, I think that the erosion and sand on the top part of the rock looks nice but it's not very realistic. I think it would be better to focus on the "sand covered" and erosion part of the rocks to be on one side of them rather than in the top, like if the wind blow from that direction for very long time.

I second this :P

The polar rocks are looking really nice, however I'd get this "sand" effect you added in the desert rocks and try to make it be like snow and scatter it all around the rocks. It will look neat!

rocks-n-snow.jpg

Also, feel free to mess with the main saturation of the rock texture or even get a new one. :) Since we should match the nature as much as we can ;)

I think the angular formation looks nice. And nice touch with the vegetation

About vegetation, isn't it too restrictive to bound vegetation into rock-objects? I am when you have single stone, you can place him in locations with different climate. But when there is a dry bush with it, it would not be very convincing for example in woods. I dont know how do you create new maps, maybe it is bether to add vegetation directly in map-editor, or not?

Youre right with the crack. There is another on the other side of this stone. But they are to small and only few, I think it is just wasting of faces. Playing with texturing may have bether results. As mentioned in the Gen.Kenobis next post.

Btw: I inspect some rocks in current dev-version of the game and they are really much 'low-polyer' than my rocks. I am trying to create more detailed objects, but can not I harm final performance with it?

About sand, it was rather only a test. But I am glad you like it :) so I'll play much more with it.

...If it's something like Saara, we shouldn't have any...

...From my point of view, it is not mistake to have both of them...

...however I'd get this "sand" effect you added in the desert rocks and try to make it be like snow and scatter it all around the rocks. It will look neat!...

I agree and that is my plan (including snow drifts :) in fact sand was only the first step to realistic snow). And vegetation - in some enviroments it helps to an object to look more realistic I think.

Fyi - next week I have an important exam, so I'll probably have a little less time now.

No new rocks now, but do not worry. As I promised previously - I'll be back :gunsmilie:

Have a nice week, Mirek

About vegetation, isn't it too restrictive to bound vegetation into rock-objects? I am when you have single stone, you can place him in locations with different climate. But when there is a dry bush with it, it would not be very convincing for example in woods. I dont know how do you create new maps, maybe it is bether to add vegetation directly in map-editor, or not?

Yes and no :P

A map designer would find useful to have different rocks formations to choose, and having some formations (not all) with one or two bushes don't seem to be a huge problem ;) I think having some formations with bushes/vegetation with their corresponding biome on the name may be useful.

Don't forget that even in woods you can find dry bushes :P

Youre right with the crack. There is another on the other side of this stone. But they are to small and only few, I think it is just wasting of faces. Playing with texturing may have bether results. As mentioned in the Gen.Kenobis next post.

Btw: I inspect some rocks in current dev-version of the game and they are really much 'low-polyer' than my rocks. I am trying to create more detailed objects, but can not I harm final performance with it?

Don't worry too much if you are making formations with higher polycount than the "old" rocks. Just don't go crazy with them. Take a look to the newest rock formations that Gen.Kenobi made. I'm sure they'll have closer triangle count to yours ;)

About sand, it was rather only a test. But I am glad you like it :) so I'll play much more with it.

I agree and that is my plan (including snow drifts :) in fact sand was only the first step to realistic snow). And vegetation - in some enviroments it helps to an object to look more realistic I think.

No new rocks now, but do not worry. As I promised previously - I'll be back :gunsmilie:

Have a nice week, Mirek

Nice. Sand rocks formations may turn into snowy formations with some texture changes, so I think they will be useful to play with them ;)

Looking forward for more of your creations

• 1 month later...