===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Shields

Enrique

Here are the six Mauryan shields' textures templates.

They are in PSD, but you can also open them with GIMP. The textures still in high-res, keep in mind they'll be scaled down.

Instructions:

-Open the file(s) and paint on the transparent "paint here" layer.

-Use transparency where you want to show playercolor.

-Be creative but try to reflect Mauryan style and symbols,

-If you use other images, they have to be lincesed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or public domain.

-(mask layer is not used, you can delete it if you don't need it)

post-13528-0-37745900-1350691648_thumb.j

I had to upload it to filefactory (Link coming soon)

Progress....

AnENH.jpg?1

I love this one ^

Muy buen trabajo Lion. Tienen muy buena pinta esos escudos :)

What's the source for wooden/other textures? It's important that we are allowed to use them and distribute them under CC-BY-SA.

After read this I double checked the wood texture of the back side, and although I had it on my old "public domain" folder I couldn't find the texture again. I have more wood textures for the back side, so I'll reupload the PSD templates. Sorry for the inconvenience of re-uploading but I want to be sure + looks better.= win win

@Lion: we can still using your creations. When you're done with them, post the files here and I'll change the back sides and/or make transparencies for playercolor (unless you made them that way)

its simple select color and put opacity transparency, i do that but, are enough Shields?

Not enough, we need at least 200 variations of each shape.

Jokes aside, I think we need at least 3 variations for each shield shape but we want more. I think Mythos will know better numbers :P

Edited by Enrique

Just a remark :

The sun would surely enjoy to be centered on the axis of the shield! For now it is a bit too much on the right.

A little bit of "transformation box" in Gimp will fix that, keeping the white bottom detail at its place while you move the sun.

AnENH.jpg?1

Should be relatively easy to just move the sun layer over? I actually don't mind it being off-center. The only thing I don't like is the "shine" on the left side. Better to do that with a spec map.

Should be relatively easy to just move the sun layer over? I actually don't mind it being off-center. The only thing I don't like is the "shine" on the left side. Better to do that with a spec map.

Actually, I quite like it. It, in my personal view, doesn't seems like a spec, but more like a rushed-paint in the shield, what looks very realistic. :P

Hey Lion, those look great also! ;)

However, if you are going to do more, we need some changes to use those shield's textures:

- Main color should be playercolor (transparency): the blue color in the sun shield design should be transparent, with some wood cracks and such on black color with a little transparency to show through the playercolor. The engine will take care of which color has to display depending on the player number. Otherwise, we would need to do variations on each design for every playercolor, which is unnecessary.

- I added a shadow layer with multiply blending on the PSD's templates to "integrate" the actual design with the border. It seems you painted directly on the shadow layer.

- Painting under the border (base layer) would avoid the "saw" artifacts on the inner part of the border that shows some of your designs.

- If you use the layer called "paint here" to paint your designs you can't go off limits and paint "above" the borders.

- I'm changing the back of the shield's texture because I couldn't find the source of the texture I used. Do not bother painting on them, they're going to be changed (I'm rendering them now)

Spanish:

- El color principal tiene que ser playercolor (transparencia): la parte azul del escudo con el sol debería ser transparente, con algunas marcas de madera en negro casi del todo transparentes, para que se pueda ver por encima del playercolor. El juego se encargará de elegir qué color mostrar dependiendo del numero de jugador. Si no, tendríamos que hacer variaciones de cada diseño de escudo para cada color de jugador.

- Añadí una capa de sombras con "multiply blending" en los PSD's para integrar el diseño del centro del escudo con el borde. Parece que has trabajado directamente en esta capa de sombras.

- Pintando debajo de la capa del borde (base layer) evitaría el efecto sierra que muestra la parte de dentro de algunos de tus diseños cerca del borde.

- Si usas la capa llamada "paint here" para pintar los diseños de los escudos, no te puedes salir y pintar los bordes por error.

- Estoy cambiando la textura de la parte de atrás de los escudos porque no he podido identificar de donde saqué la textura y no quiero arriesgarme con temas de licencia, asi que no gastes tiempo en pintarlas porque las voy a tener que cambiar.

I hope this do not discourage you to keep working on the designs, they really look awesome! but we need those changes to add the textures into the game. :)