Problem with COLLADA files in 3Ds Max

Nexusgot

Hi guys I'm new here, I discovered 0 AD some days ago and I wanted to modify or add something just for a try.

Well as you can see from the topic title I have a problem.

When I import .dae files into my 3Ds Max it shows me this error:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.

-Warning: The transform of node "Bip01-node" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

-Warning: The transform of node "Bip01_Pelvis-node" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

-Warning: The transform of node "Bip01_Spine-node" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

...and so on.

And when I try to export them after that import i see this:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.

-Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node Bip01 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

-Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node VisualSceneNode will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Maybe someone else asked for the same problem but I didn't find it. As I read here I used the extension .dae instead of default .DAE

I installed (or at least I think so) the COLLADA plugin but (if it is installed correctly) it seems it won't work on Max 2012.

My final questions are: am I doing something wrong? or is my 3Ds Max version wrong? and if this is the problem what version do you use?

Thanks and go on you are doing a great job and I think you are amazing.

ps: I don't know if this is the right section, so if it's not I'm sorry.

Well I tried to modify a human body model just to see how it's made, but i get that error, and the same with all the .dae files. I saw that the last release of COLLADA plugin for Max is a bit old so I thought the problem may be that I'm using a version too new. Don't worry about the original max files, but please tell me which version of Max do you use :)

Edit: It seems I solved my problem but I still don't know how, maybe Max was fearing my anger...Anyway thanks for answering me :)

Edited by Nexusgot

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I have another import/export problem, it seems to be my speciality...How can I import .psa files in 3d Studio Max 2012? I tried the pmdexp but it doesnt seem to work. I also tried it on Max 9 and 10. What program do you use, for example, for animations?

I didnt open a new topic cause it's a similiar problem as the one i already asked. Thanks a lot.

I don't think there's a way to import .psa files, those are what our engine uses internally. Worse is that it's a lossy format (discards bone hierarchy, for instance), and in many cases there's no way to recover the original data. Hopefully we will replace them all with DAEs at some point. If there's a specific file you need, we might be able to provide the original .max file, depending on availability.

Well I wanted to modify the horse animations but horse anims are all in .psa, if it's possible. So .psa files are something like .dae file converted by the engine? Just to understand.

Edit: ok well, I didn't want to bother you but, if it's possible, could someone send me the model+skeleton of the horse in .max or .dae format please? :)

Edited by Nexusgot

Actually, we have a new horse model and plan to use it instead, it's a big improvement over the old model. Currently it's waiting for UV mapping, texturing and rigging, as far as I know: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/skeletal/horse_new.dae

I'm sure the art team would appreciate help on that, if you're interested.

All of the animal max files are available to artists here:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/art/trunk/art/meshes/skeletal/animals

Maybe somebody would be kind enough to zip some of those up for you. For movement, there is a run animation and a walk animation... unfortunately the game doesn't have running anymore so the run animation is rarely (if ever) seen.

It means it's not accessible to the public, for various reasons, but someone with access to it can zip it up and give you the files. However, as Ben said, there's been work on a new horse model, which might be more appropriate, especially if there are new animations made :) (And especially since horses doesn't need that many animations overall, so it should be relatively easy to have them done :) )

Hi Nexusgot,

The only thing your'e doing wrong is using FBX. It's useless!

I strongly suggest using openCollada for import and export of collada files on 3dsMax 2012

I found it difficult to locate the latest version (1.3.1 which supports 3dsMax 2012) on 'the Home of OpenCollada' - http://opencollada.org/ so suggest you get it from http://code.google.c.../downloads/list.

When importing Collada I've not found any way that you can select which importer to use, so I've simple dissabled FBX by renaming fbxmax.dlu in the Max stdplugins directory (to fbxmax.dlu.safe).

I spend a lot of time parsing and writing collada files, so feel free to ask me any other related questions you might have.

Good luck

Andy Fiv

Thanks Wijitmaker, I'm trying something with those files and they are very useful for my needs :) I hope someone will rig the new horse model cause it's really well made.

Hi fiv,

Well I already use opencollada for importing and exporting, and my problem was with other types of file like .psa. At first I had problems to make the importer work. I know that the topic title is about that and I found what you said after a lot of tries and then I got it :) But anyway thanks for answering!