A completly change recruitment idea for the greek faction

bill2505

I use a second thread because this suggestion need completely change this system.This idea will need a bit balancing of and will be for the future course

As you know Greeks never used mass standing armies. In the game this is not portrayed properly yet so i suggest this

lets speak only for greek faction at the moment

1A : Greek army will be split bettwen standing(some police duty soldiers mostly) and non standing . Standing soldiers will be recruited from military baracks like buildings . Non standing will be recruited in this way

1B: You cant train units in the way that happens now

1C : You can only train simple civilian male citizens (except the standing army units)

1D: you will use citizen to do jobs(build gather....)

1E: When you will need your soldier you can press a button "call to arms" which will make all units(if you want you can do it to individual units via button there) be called to arms

What this means

2A : When the unit will be called to arm it will go to the nearer Armory and will get its self weapons and armor

2B : bazed on its income and class it will get the apropriate weapons and Armor

what i meant income and class?

3:A every job your citizen make has a vallue how much he is paid(not exactly) more or less

for example:

gatherers =5 gold ( ancient greek currency)

builder= 15 gold

3B : Based on the vallue when you press "call to arms button" he will go to the armory to buy his weapons (and story it afterwards)

for example:

poor citizent <5 gold= crude sling man,archer ... a bit random

poor citizent>5 = good archer ,sling,peltast(non elite)

average income citizent= income>10(but lower than 15)= militia hoplite

15 until 20 income= standard hoplite and some small amount good equipment light infantry

and.....................

how are you going to assign income to Citizens?

4A : make all citizens have a steady job

4B how to do this?

4C ancient wars of sparta uses a system of recourse gathering unique.you build a farm/gold gatherer ,wood)

building near the resource and you send your citizens to work inside them and your citizens work by giving steady resource .

4D every citizend then is going to take a individual promotion(or something like this) based on his job and income

4E when you press call to arms 3 will happen

Elite units :how to train them)

i mean elite not by experience but by equipment

5A make some civing/cultural/luxury buildings like temple ,universities...... needs citizens .those citizens will have hight income

6 A bit idea for gaining more elites

Arictocrat building. this building will be a recourse gathering building(or something like this) that needs to be manned .if you put near farms (and maybe other recourses,i dont know) will increase their output.

6B this men will have highter pay and when reqruited will get cavalry mostly and a bit elite hoplites

please comment and suggest.

thanks in advance

Edited by bill2505

So essentially it's the same principles as we have in the game now, but the player would have to spend an immense effort micromanaging the units :P It might be fun in some games, but in a game like 0 A.D. you don't want to have to micromanage units while your enemy is attacking you. To make this relevant we'd either have to simplify the war aspect of the game or make it a lot slower.

• Like 1

So essentially it's the same principles as we have in the game now, but the player would have to spend an immense effort micromanaging the units :P It might be fun in some games, but in a game like 0 A.D. you don't want to have to micromanage units while your enemy is attacking you. To make this relevant we'd either have to simplify the war aspect of the game or make it a lot slower.

what you mean micro manage.no micromanage at all and not simplifying

what i am suggesting in few sentences.

1 make all resource gathering using the ancient wars of sparta unique way .you build a gold/wood gathering building ,you send 3-5 citizens to work and you are finished(you wont have to micromanage your recourses or anything)

2 make all civilian/luxury/culture buildings(nearly all buildings)need to be manned (send citizent inside it) to work. for example university(you cant reasearch without proffesors)

2b sort the buildings into a few categories based on incomes. for example wood gathers and gold will be in the same

3 you are attacked you press "call to arms "

4 all your citizens units are ejected(add options for key buildings not) , from their jobs buildings

5 run to armory

6 based on their income ( every fisherman will have the same income,not turn this into sim like building)

7 your are army is transformed into a various citizent-soldier units .rich will have rich equipment and poor poor

8 you can defend with them or attack

9 someone will say that you wont have time to do if the enemy attacks then build walls

easy and quick(i dont see micromanaging anything)

this i thing is more close to reality

i am only suggesting guys=) . no need to start the learn to mod it your self stuff(everybody knows it already=)

see easy

Edited by bill2505

LOL at this XD

When i get attacked on one spot, i dont want ALL of my citizens to leave their post.

this is not only making micromanagement more difficult, its destroying the idea itself of micro managment,

automizing things and taking me my gameplayfreedom, transforming the player into an AI, sligthly affected by my actions.

Features are ment to be tools, not the player a tool to correct features.

i want to give orders to 10 units without having it affect anyothers.

Edit: i don't know how its planed for civ center bell, but i hope it only affects a certain range arround it...

Edited by alkazar-ipse

LOL at this XD

When i get attacked on one spot, i dont want ALL of my citizens to leave their post.

this is not only making micromanagement more difficult, its destroying the idea itself of micro managment,

automizing things and taking me my gameplayfreedom, transforming the player into an AI, sligthly affected by my actions.

Features are ment to be tools, not the player a tool to correct features.

i want to give orders to 10 units without having it affect anyothers.

Edit: i don't know how its planed for civ center bell, but i hope it only affects a certain range arround it...

Don't be so dramatic, there ARE games with features like these. And yes, they've made success, you just didn't play them.