Different territory line style for each phase

Enrique

I wrote in other thread some time ago the idea to change the territory border style depending on the current city-phase the player is.

I think it's a good way to have visual feedback about which phase each player is.

Something like discontinuous line in first phase, normal line in town phase and double line in city phase.

I don't know how difficult might be to implement for programmers. What do you think about it? :)

Hmm... Do we want to telegraph such information to other players? My original GUI mockup had your city phase listed in the top ribbon.

I think double lines could work though for the no-rush game option.

The thread where I originally posted the idea was about adding more props or changing the buildings appearance when upgrading the phase, so that information would be received by the enemy if he has any of your buildings on sight, just like this idea, but I thought it might be easier to implement with border lines.

In AOK series you even received a message with a sound when other players reached next phase. I'm not saying we must to do the same, but I thought it could be interesting and I wanted to know other thoughts.

Wanna know what? I myself feel more lost about in what phase am I than the enemy, imo. I remember of having the live score rankings to know in which age the players were, in AoE series, and a message on the screen in Rise of Nations, but since neither systems are implemented (aren't they?) (yet?), it is reasonable. I'd like some visual differences for myself, though. What about putting banners that become more detailed when you evolve? Or adding some details on the buildings, whatever to make you feel you really evolved, instead of just researching what seems more like masonry than anything else.

I'd like some visual differences for myself, though. What about putting banners that become more detailed when you evolve? Or adding some details on the buildings, whatever to make you feel you really evolved, instead of just researching what seems more like masonry than anything else.

I was working on this, but it felt a bit like a hack. I might give it a fresh look when/if things are moved to Git.

Hmm... Do we want to telegraph such information to other players?

That's a general problem with territories IMO. I would like to see territory border changes hidden by FoW, so you'd need to scout or have LOS to update them. That and hiding building changes in FoW would make scouting and establishing LOS very important. It's one of those things like shared LOS that really change the feel of the game.

• Like 1

Hmm... Do we want to telegraph such information to other players? My original GUI mockup had your city phase listed in the top ribbon.

I think double lines could work though for the no-rush game option.

if a treaty system is ever employed, it could be useful to show players that you have non-aggression treaties with. allied players could have the dashed line idea, and all other agreements (or lack thereof) have regular lines

Wanna know what? I myself feel more lost about in what phase am I than the enemy, imo. I remember of having the live score rankings to know in which age the players were, in AoE series, and a message on the screen in Rise of Nations, but since neither systems are implemented (aren't they?) (yet?), it is reasonable. I'd like some visual differences for myself, though. What about putting banners that become more detailed when you evolve? Or adding some details on the buildings, whatever to make you feel you really evolved, instead of just researching what seems more like masonry than anything else.

while something like that would probably be good for the final game, i say a placeholder for now should just be a bar at the center of the top of the screen notifying you of which phase you are in, perhaps along with what civ you are playing as (for beginners)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...