Quick request from the Music dept.

OmriLahav

Hey team-

I'm looking for two things for upcoming 0 A.D. music!

1) People who can write some lyrics (a few nice phrases will do) in (or as-close-as-possible to) the ancient tongues used in 0 A.D., this will be used in upcoming tracks as choir text!

2) A french horn performer who either lives in proximity to my studio (Israel), or has the means to record high-quality audio.

Spread the word :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

To elaborate:

1) People who can write some lyrics (a few nice phrases will do) in (or as-close-as-possible to) the ancient tongues used in 0 A.D., this will be used in upcoming tracks as choir text!

For well-studied ancient languages like Greek and Latin we will try to make lyrics in the actual ancient language.

For languages that have mostly been lost, such as Celtic and Punic, we will have to do with modern surviving languages that are related to the ancient ones.

So if you speak Irish or Scottish Gaelic, for example, that could be very helpful for the Celtic lyrics.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm looking for two things for upcoming 0 A.D. music!

:

To elaborate:

For well-studied ancient languages like Greek and Latin we will try to make lyrics in the actual ancient language.

For languages that have mostly been lost, such as Celtic and Punic, we will have to do with modern surviving languages that are related to the ancient ones.

Indian guy here talking in reference to this: http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=11974

Mauryas used to speak Prakrit (common language) and Sanskrit (official language). Prakrit is dead (or evolved into other languages) and Sanskrit is barely spoken by a handful (eg. my dad). Plenty can speak Hindi (modern official language of India) and Marathi (derivative of Prakrit) fluently (eg. me!).

What do you expect, when it comes to lyrics about Indian parts of the game? Indian tracks would be awesome! ;-)

• Like 1

Hey I can help. I can do Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Phoenecian (Punic) and Assyrian/Babylonian in a pinch.

Great! Anything you feel like writing - feel free to PM me or send it to my email, Omri (@) OmriLahav (.) com.

Look here for notes and lyrics in ancient greek

http://www.hellinon.net/Seikilos.htm

Looks like a great resource, but I'm afraid the whole website is in Greek!

Anyone care to translate / extract relevant texts?

(Are they free to use?)

Eluveitie did a lot of songs in ancient Gaulish. I think you can just re-use their lyrics

Good suggestion, any idea how to contact her?

Sanskrit is barely spoken by a handful (eg. my dad).

What do you expect, when it comes to lyrics about Indian parts of the game? Indian tracks would be awesome! ;-)

If your dad feels like jotting down some Sanskrit lyrics, it'd be awesome!

As for the Mauryan Indian soundtrack, I haven't written it yet so I don't even know what to expect, lol :)

Thanks for all the input, team!

Looks like a great resource, but I'm afraid the whole website is in Greek!

Anyone care to translate / extract relevant texts?

(Are they free to use?)

Have a look here.

http://en.wikipedia....eikilos_epitaph

The Seikilos epitaph is the oldest surviving example of a complete musical composition,

including musical notation, from anywhere in the world.

It was written by Seikilos around 200 BC and 100 AC. So, I think you can use it freely.

You also have the notes. Of course you can't use the video I posted on youtube.

These are the lyrics, first in ancient greek, then a transliteration and english translation,

which somehow I found interesting for a strategy game...

Ὅσον ζῇς, φαίνου,

Hoson zês, phainou,

While you live, shine,

μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ·

mêden holôs su lupou;

have no grief at all;

πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν,

pros oligon esti to zên,

life exists only for a short while,

τὸ τέλος ὁ xρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.

to telos ho chronos apaitei.

and time demands its toll.

Here is another version, with correct greek accent (listen up to 1:00)

P.S.

1) Well, it is also included in civilization V, as I just found without lyrics:(

2) Since I am greek, I could probably also help with some greek voices,

for which I find the accent a bit weird...!

Edited by PanagiotisPapadakos

The Wikipedia article says,

Texts of plays, regardless of type, were often copied without music, so the lyrics with music like that of the Seikilos epitaph are extremely rare.

So I was wondering if there were any good lyrics without music, so that Omri can write the music himself.

Not using ancient language but who knows if you can use it

3 -6 4

Spears and swords

3 -6 2

Shields and knives

3 -6 4

Beat your drums

3 -6 2

Banners high

6 5 4 3

March the distance

2 3 1#

Through the sands

1# 2 3 -6

Tale of warriors

-6 5# -6

Tale of man

Spears and swords

Shields and knives

Beat your drums

Banners high

Glory glory

Victory

Put your marks

on history

Edited by majapahit

So I was wondering if there were any good lyrics without music, so that Omri can write the music himself.

Was wondering that too, I'm not really looking for existing music - my time for working on 0 A.D. is rather scarce and I'd rather not spend it on adaptations while there's still need of originals.

Not using ancient language but who knows if you can use it

Spears and swords

Shields and knives

Beat your drums

Banners high

March the distance

Through the sands

Tale of warriors

Tale of man

Spears and swords

Shields and knives

Beat your drums

Banners high

Glory glory

Victory

Put your marks

on history

I decided to compose this even though it isn't in any ancient language, maybe it'll come in handy as a neutral track, or even for the credits screen...

I'm uploading a quick guitar-vocal version for you (and the team) to review, if it is approved I will arrange and record it properly.

Here's the file:

http://wildfiregames.com/users/omri/Tale_of_Warriors.mp3

Oh, by the way - I changed "put your mark on history" to "leave your mark on history", just seemed like better grammar, as a "mark on history" isn't a physical thing you can just "put" somewhere... hope I explained that correctly, lol

What civilization would this music be for? That could have a lot of bearing on what language should be used.

The idea is to write for each civ. in it's appropriate tongue :)

• Like 2

You are amazing Omri (y) Really cool! I think this might work nice for e.g. a trailer or something as well. While playing it's probably best not to disturb the player with lyrics (at least not that the player can understand =) and at least not too much), but for the credits screen, trailers and so on this would work perfect. Personally I like it as simple and bare as it is now :) But maybe others will prefer it with a lot of orchestration etc. I hope you will do what you find the best though as I'm sure that will be the most impressive :)

You are amazing Omri (y) Really cool! I think this might work nice for e.g. a trailer or something as well. While playing it's probably best not to disturb the player with lyrics (at least not that the player can understand =) and at least not too much), but for the credits screen, trailers and so on this would work perfect. Personally I like it as simple and bare as it is now :) But maybe others will prefer it with a lot of orchestration etc. I hope you will do what you find the best though as I'm sure that will be the most impressive :)

First of all thanks for the kind words :)

I'll try to make an instrumental version of this melody for use as a generic peace,

and maybe the lyric version can be used on an epic trailer video!

While playing it's probably best not to disturb the player with lyrics (at least not that the player can understand =) and at least not too much), but for the credits screen, trailers and so on this would work perfect.

+1

There's a lot of internal dialog that players have going on in their heads when playing a strategy game. So that's why lyrics can be distracting if you understand them.

Any human vocals in-game should be very subtle and atmospheric, and in a foreign tongue.

I have translated the song into Ancient Greek-- My Greek is not the best so I would like somebody to check it if possible. I have also transliterated the lyrics. I know I did not transliterate it to sound the way it would if it were spoken in Modern Demotic Greek ;) Also, the English version of the song could make a good background song for the main menu!

Spears and swords

Αριγωνες ξιφοι τε

Arigōnes xifoi te

Shields and knives

Οπλα καινιδες τε

Hopla kainides te

Beat your drums

Πατασσετε τα ηχεια

Patassete ta ēkheia

Banners high

Εσσαμα αιπα

Essama aipa

March the distance

Ζυγετε τα σταδια

Zugete ta stadia

Through the sands

Δια των ψαμμων

Dia tōn psammōn

Tale of warriors

Ο πολεμιστων αινος

Ho polemistōn ainos

Tale of man

Ο ανθρωπων αινος

Ho anthrōpōn ainos

Spears and swords

Αριγωνες ξιφοι τε

Arigōnes xifoi te

Shields and knives

Οπλα καινιδες τε

Hopla kainides te

Beat your drums

Πατασσετε τα ηχεια

Patassete ta ēkheia

Banners high

Εσσαμα αιπα

Essama aipa

Glory glory

Τιμη, αρετη

Timē, Aretē

Victory

Νικη

Nikē

Put your marks

Τιθει τασ γνωμασ

Tithei tas gnomas

on history

εν ιστοριᾳ

en historia

Edited by Atenmeses52

Good job, but I have a few questions. Why did you translate "march" as Zugei? March should probably be second person plural making it Zugete. Also, in translating glory, you used Αρετη, which means virtue. A practical alternative is Τιμη, which means "honor", or δóξα, which means "glory". Possibly the lyrics on that line could be changed to "Honor, Glory".

Good job, but I have a few questions. Why did you translate "march" as Zugei? March should probably be second person plural making it Zugete. Also, in translating glory, you used Αρετη, which means virtue. A practical alternative is Τιμη, which means "honor", or δóξα, which means "glory". Possibly the lyrics on that line could be changed to "Honor, Glory".

You're right about Zugete-- I'll change it, but αρετη encompasses the Classical concept of glory, honor, and virtue-- see it's usage in Homer. I will, however, just for artistic sake change the line to τιμη, αρετη. Thanks for the edits! Because it's so long, I didn't repost it--i just edited my old post. I will try to do a Classical Arabic translation as well, maybe it could be of use for the Carthaginians. I'll try to transliterate it in the Lebanese dialect, which is close to Ancient Phoenician/Punic pronunciation ;) .

Edited by Atenmeses52