Couple of ideas

theory816

Hey guys I was thinking of a couple of ideas for the game. Idea1: the way the building faces you is isometric in rts games but what if you can adjust the angles on how the buidlings are facing you? I kno that when i play age of empires my 1st focus is to make my town look good as possible and not just place buildings whenever.

idea2: this idea is about soldiers having 2 healthbars. one for life and one for hunger level. if hunger level goes down to zero then the soldier starts to lose life. So you have to make a building that feeds the soldier.

Well those are some ideas I have.

Edited by theory816

Well make them have a third healthbar to show in how good shape their shoes are, and when their shoes are dead they start losing life if walking with defect shoes, and make buildings that produce shoes soldiers can pick up.

Zhz, ideas people have, thats crazy... it's a game bro, if you really want to make it more realistic with units eating food, then just make food amount trikle down proportionatly to the amount of army you trained.

Welcom to Cossaks series, where your whole army turns to rebels once u r broke :D

edit: ...hä for those few who wouldnt get it: im joking please DO NOT DO THIS

If I understand well you want to be able to turn the buildings: that's already featured.

Edited by alkazar-ipse

Hey guys I was thinking of a couple of ideas for the game. Idea1: the way the building faces you is isometric in rts games but what if you can adjust the angles on how the buidlings are facing you? I kno that when i play age of empires my 1st focus is to make my town look good as possible and not just place buildings whenever.

Just left-click-and-drag or press the [ and ] keys while placing the building to rotate it :)

Actually there is an RTS ancient game called Celtic Kings from Heamimont Games which had two expansions that were only sold I think in Spain and Italy, becasue the distributor 'FX Interactive' focuses nearly only on those countries'. Here Celtic Kings and its sequels are called Imperivm 1 2 and 3. The games and that distributor are very famous here and present in all the stores.

The point is that this RTS game had a developed hungry system. There is a hunger cap 20/20 that slowly decreases if units are not in cities forts or towns or don't have a mule besides them and their life goes down to 5-10%.

http://www.trucoteca...ium-2-6186.html

Actually this game has another wonderful idea:

It doesn't have a small minimap on the bottom of the screen. Instead, you just press SPACEBAR and the map appears in all the screen. It was VERY useful and could and should be implemented here.

EDIT: Actually it has other original concepts: buildings are not made, just captured. There is a hero who can gather up to 50 units. I don't remember population cap. You move the hero, all the units move. Very nice pathifing.

ALSO: Artwork from there is a thing that you be inspired from.

Edited by eduh

I strongly dislike units that have the ability to convert an opponent's troops. Its a little too sketchy when attempting to compare the ability to real life. You can't really convert an actual person unless they are willing to be converted, or been engaged in a conflict where they could lose something or somebody important.

wololo.jpg

Edited by Sighvatr
  • Like 1

I strongly dislike units that have the ability to convert an opponent's troops. Its a little too sketchy when attempting to compare the ability to real life. You can't really convert an actual person unless they are willing to be converted, or been engaged in a conflict where they could lose something or somebody important.

There will not be conversion in 0 A.D. Previously we had something similar (you would have to pay a small price to be able to "convert" a unit) for some of the Roman heroes, but that has been cut, so no conversion at all in 0 A.D.

That's the point isn't it - RTS's are all about engaging in conflicts. The millions of dollars being poured into campaign advertising as we speak are testament to the fact that people can be converted and that there is value in doing so.

you have to remember that its a game: when a priest converts someone in a given game type, no matter what sound effects they have, you have to imagine it as being like the priest is shouting something like: "Hold, noble savage! You do not need to fight us! Join our religion and our forces, and you will not only be rewarded with life and luxury, but with eternal salvation after you die! Your peoples' god doesn't offer you paradise in the afterlife! Join us!"

There will not be conversion in 0 A.D. Previously we had something similar (you would have to pay a small price to be able to "convert" a unit) for some of the Roman heroes, but that has been cut, so no conversion at all in 0 A.D.

personally, i think some future civs should get a priest-like unit if their civilization was historically known for proselytization (like a generic Christian civilization, for instance). but since none of the current civilizations really fit into that, there's no reason to make it so for Part 1. in current versions, there could be some special units that bribe enemies (the same thing as converting), but they DEFINITELY shouldnt be part of regular gameplay

and if it ever gets to that, there should be a limit to the number of priests and so on that you can get

When was this cut?

Ok, maybe not. I was looking at the heroes in the civ profile and didn't see it there :P Seems like it is described as a special technology. Sorry for my confusion :P

(I'd still say there will be no "conversion" in 0 A.D. as this is a bit different, but yeah, apparently I spoke without knowing what I was talking about :P )

That's the point isn't it - RTS's are all about engaging in conflicts. The millions of dollars being poured into campaign advertising as we speak are testament to the fact that people can be converted and that there is value in doing so.

I missed the fact that people can be manipulated by advertisement, I agree. I don't have another say against it, except that it tends to be a very big irritation in the game. But thats a personal issue.

Conversions are a big irritation, I totally agree! in aoe priest spawners were horrible, not necessarily very effective but horribly irritating. I believe conversions should be implemented, but we have to be careful not to overpower them. A short range, a long 'reload' timer and a rather slow rate. More something you would use to gain special units you can't make yourself than something you would be using constantly. (Heroes of course should be inconversable, but I guess every one knew that)

The conversion could work "christianity" style: First need a temple to make ceremonies, the a wonder building to symbolize, then a god.

After building these 3 things, preists can be made. They can convert, but it won't be a deterministic proccess, it will have a matter of chance. The chance and conversion time will rise the more preists there are and the more converted fanatic units there are around.

Or avoid it alltogether...

The conversion could work "christianity" style: First need a temple to make ceremonies, the a wonder building to symbolize, then a god.

After building these 3 things, preists can be made. They can convert, but it won't be a deterministic proccess, it will have a matter of chance. The chance and conversion time will rise the more preists there are and the more converted fanatic units there are around.

Or avoid it alltogether...

i'd say make it so that Priests can heal and convert, but can only convert within a certain distance of a temple (Church, Cathedral, w/e) and leave it at that. the inclusion of a god of some kind would work better with a selection screen like in AOM or AOE3 (which i personally envision as being part of the mythology mod i'm working on)

in the context of 0AD, there could just be a civilization for Christians (or perhaps for Roman-era Israelites) as one of the AD civs in Part 2, specifically representing pre-Constantine Christians. while the Christians of the era were largely pacifists, iirc, they could probably work as a civilization. these ones would be the only civ capable of converting, unless other civilizations included are also known for proselytizing others

and like i said, an alternative to conversion for other civs could still be bribery

Edited by oshron

i think priest dont be only a healer , they must bless the troops. or motive to fight, increase the attack.give bonus.

That's a Celtic bonus already, I think its good the way it is: make civs really different, for Celts druids are indispensable as ox-building, how ever you call it, is necessary for a good Spanish gameplay.

I'm completely opposed to conversions, and I guess there's is a bunch of serious players against it, it destroys the whole game-play atmosphere.

If you make it a mod, an OPTION, I encourage it a lot, some people like it; but make it a constraint is really disappointing, regarding how good this open-source game turned out 'till now.

again, without wanting to hurt anyone, there's the guy having fun running around the map with a few horsemen and a priest, converting units,

and there is the other sort that likes to play the perfect game he could possibly play. (economic growth and military battlefield control)