feature request: ability to set population cap

raymond

I personally don't think we should have an unlimited option yet, not until pathfinding performance is sorted out. Make the maximum pop 300 as it is currently.

300 is to much. I got massive lags (3 fps) with 200 population and some AI (probably also 200 population) with my Core i3@OS X 10.8.1. I think 200 should be the maximum currently.

So maybe remove unlimited in my recommendations.

Edited by raymond

300 is to much. I got massive lags (3 fps) with 200 population and some AI (probably also 200 population) with my Core i3@OS X 10.8.1. I think 200 should be the maximum currently.

I play with the full 300 pop very regularly, and I get very little lag, so I don't think we can limit the pop based on your hardware ;)

I play with the full 300 pop very regularly, and I get very little lag, so I don't think we can limit the pop based on your hardware ;)

Which hardware do you have? Which OS? How many AI? So I think you have to add recommended system requirements on http://www.wildfireg...d/page.php?c=46 like "System Recommendation: Intel Core i7" or so.

Edited by raymond

Windows 7 on an SSD

GeForce GTX 560Ti

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Against 1 Aegis AI, on a small non-water map.

1 AI and a small map is not a challenge for a core i processor with a midrange graphic card. I wrote "some AI". It was I think 7 on a 8 player map.

Edited by raymond

1 AI and a small map is not a challenge for a core i processor with a midrange graphic card. I wrote "some AI". It was I think 7 on a 8 player map.

For now more than one AI (or maybe two on good computers) and a midsized map cannot be recommended. Seven AIs on an eight player map is certainly too much to run well at this moment.

Not to mention, the Mauryans have a 10% civ bonus, but Spartans have 10% decrease.

Indeed. It would be good to have the ability to set a civ's default pop cap either in the civ json or via technologies (as quantumstate has suggested, which isn't a bad idea either, as then you could have techs to increase the caps). They would be a multiplier in order to be compatible with whatever max pop the host sets, so a 1.1 (+10% pop cap) for Mauryans and Persians and a 0.9 (-10% pop cap) for Spartans. Then, if the host sets max pop to 200, Mauryan and Persian pop caps would be 220 and Spartans would be at 180. If the host sets max pop to 300, Mauryan and Persian pop caps would be 330 and Spartans would be at 270*.

*Keep in mind that the Mauryans and Persians have lots of cannon fodder infantry and some high pop units such as elephants and chariots, so the difference in max pop is deceptive here. Spartan units are very powerful.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. It would be good to have the ability to set a civ's default pop cap either in the civ json or via technologies (as quantumstate has suggested, which isn't a bad idea either, as then you could have techs to increase the caps). They would be a multiplier in order to be compatible with whatever max pop the host sets, so a 1.1 (+10% pop cap) for Mauryans and Persians and a 0.9 (-10% pop cap) for Spartans. Then, if the host sets max pop to 200, Mauryan and Persian pop caps would be 220 and Spartans would be at 180. If the host sets max pop to 300, Mauryan and Persian pop caps would be 330 and Spartans would be at 270*.

*Keep in mind that the Mauryans and Persians have lots of cannon fodder infantry and some high pop units such as elephants and chariots, so the difference in max pop is deceptive here. Spartan units are very powerful.

But, but, how would I set it so that I could have the optimal number of spartans? Say, 300. :P