Mocapped unit animations

zoot

I was getting a bit annoyed with the standard male unit "penguin walk" and found these:

Mocapdata.com Free Motions - tons of free motion captured animations, though regrettably under CC-BY-SA 2.1 which should be avoided unless someone can get it relicensed.

CMU Graphics Lab Motion Capture Database (also here) - another bunch of free animations, but same story as above: probably not compatible with our licensing requirements unless special permission is given.

ACCAD Motion Capture Lab - a number of common animations, apparently under a compatible public domain license.

Ever considered using something like that? Licensing issues aside, I guess the only downside may be that these animations aren't "original" to the game - though it's probably debatable how original a, say, basic walk can be.

This one is from Mocapdata.com - possible 'carry' animation?

Edited by zoot

I support this initiative. Not sure if we can use these directly with our models, but it'd make it easier for less skilled animators to "trace over" the mo-cap. That having been said, if we are to have a campaign like in the AoE games, we'll probably need custom animations for cutscenes, which will be hard to derive from canned datasets.

ACCAD Motion Capture Lab - a number of common animations, apparently under a compatible public domain license.

Not public domain, but close enough:

Open Motion Data Project by The Ohio State University Advanced Computing Center for the Arts and Design is licensed under a Creative Commons

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

In the intro it says/insinuates: "...these motions are absolutely free to use with no type of restrictions." So I don't know if the CC-BY-NC-SA just applies to everything else, like the website itself.

Well, the CC marker only appears on the "data" page, so I'd venture to guess that it's for the data.

It'd still be best if we asked them for permission either way. We probably don't want to use NC-restricted material, tbh, so we might want to ask them to relicense if we want to use their animations.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the forums here (only discovered this game yesterday).

Reading some of the comments in this thread, can I assume that you are still in need of an animator?

I would be interested in helping, but I won't get any free time until December when my course finishes. After then, I should have plenty of free time to help.

However we are still in need - as far as I remember - of a proper working Blender rig that is read by the game engine.

When do you need that by? I'm not familiar with Blender, but I can look into it.

I have some experience making rigs in Maya - they're fairly simply to do. Skinning is usually what I struggle with, but I don't think that will be a problem for a game like this.

Edited by Khopesh

I could make a rig and animate it, I just need to figure out how Blender works (I'm used to Maya).

If we can get a working rig then the animation itself shouldn't take long at all (I would need a complete list of animation in order to give an estimated time-frame).

The biped will be the easiest. The animals however - with such a large list, each needing a different rig and set of animations - it will take a while to work through them. Also, I'm not sure about having so many rigs in the game (each rig will have to be very limited, otherwise it could use up a lot of memory). At least with the human units they will all use the same rig.

Edited by Khopesh