Alpha 10 slowness and graphics issues

venator260

My new computer seems to slow down after I've been playing for a bit (I assume because there are quite a few characters moving about at this point). And this is with myself and one AI on a small (for 2 players) map. Using 2+ AI's or a larger slows the game a great deal very quickly; to the point where it's unplayable. This is with Alpha 10.

The specs are:

Dell Inspiron N5050

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core i3 2.3Ghz

6 Gig RAM

Intel HD Graphics

My other computer fails to generate the terrain properly, but it's 7 years old with a P4 2.8 Ghz with Intel integrated graphics running Ubuntu 12.04. This is with whatever release is in the backports release channel

My new computer seems to slow down after I've been playing for a bit (I assume because there are quite a few characters moving about at this point). And this is with myself and one AI on a small (for 2 players) map. Using 2+ AI's or a larger slows the game a great deal very quickly; to the point where it's unplayable. This is with Alpha 10.

That's a known problem, but this topic isn't for reporting bugs or performance issues :)

I've read that thread, yes. I didn't mean for this to be a bug report and have been under the assumption that gameplay would improve as development progressed. It seemed as though folks were adding their specs and user experience in the thread that this was split from, and I was doing the same. I was a little curious to know if any of my specs were the culprit (i.e. 0 A.D. doesn't play well with Intel HD graphics or something like that).

My thoughts were to do exactly what is detailed in the thread you referenced (use Shift+F11 and post the file) after alpha 11 came out to see if this data would be any use to any of you developers. But I didn't want to file a bug report on a version of the game that was soon to be an older version.

For now, performance testing shouldn't include AIs because they are a known cause of problems. That aspect won't be much changed in Alpha 11, maybe slightly improved. We haven't really focused on performance for this release, but rather getting major new features in (improved sound system, graphical enhancements, gates, etc.) So I'd expect Alpha 11 performance to be roughly similar to Alpha 10, hopefully no worse and perhaps better :)