SVN Atlas Scenario Editor causes GFX card crash?

Eggbird

Hello,

Not sure if this has already been reported by someone else. I did a quick search but did find anything. Although I doubt Im the only one who has this problem.

When starting the Atlast Scenario Editor (the SVN version) my graphics card seems to crash (and recovers itself afterwards). After that Atlas seems to be running but the 3d part of the editor doesn't show up. Also, as soon as I try to use any of the other menu's it stops responding. Im not quite sure since when this problem occurs. I do know that several months ago everything was working fine.

Here's a more accurate description of events:

1. I double click on the shortcut '0 A.D. Editor SVN' which points to 'D:\0ad\binaries\system\Atlas.bat'
  2. At first, nothing really happens, than my mouse pointer freezes for a few seconds.
  3. My screen turns black for a second or so
  4. After the screen is back again I see the following notification:
    post-14235-0-96624100-1344517807_thumb.j
  5. Next, Atlas looks like this:
    post-14235-0-11118100-1344517819_thumb.j
  6. After trying to use Atlas, it freezes which looks like this:
    post-14235-0-76695500-1344517822_thumb.j
  7. Other programs which were running at the same time and use the GFX card also are unusable after this and have to be killed (3d modeling applications and photoshop for example).

I already tried rebooting and such but the problem always occurs again in the exact same way.

Some specs about my PC:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3200Mhz

RAM: 16GB

GFX: 2x AMD Radeon 6850 CrossFire

Im not sure if any logs are made during the above process and where I can find them. If you need any other info, let me know!

The reason I want to use the Atlas scenario editor so badly is because I want to import and test the new Mauryan civic centre which im working on and is about to be finalized.

Sounds strange/bad. I assume you have tried updating your GFX driver? That seems to be what crashed.

Yep, Im on the latest Catalyst version (12.6). I did do a (simple) reinstall of the drivers and a reboot. But the issue persists.

I don't seem to have any issues in other games or applications.

I've been making some pretty heavy modifications to the rendering code lately, so maybe it's my fault. Pretty surprising that there's a driver crash, though.

If you urgently need the editor, you can roll back the SVN a few revisions until you find one that works for you (try revision 12299). Do you know how to do that?

Btw, if this fixes it then we'll need to do some debugging, when you have time. Thanks. (AFAIK you're the first Crossfire user to try this code)

Is this with the new experimental GLSL features enabled (AO, normal mapping, etc.) in the game's config file?

Have you changed any Catalyst graphics settings (e.g. antialiasing or performance/quality) from their defaults? I suspect a driver reinstall would not reset those settings to defaults. I've had driver crashes in the past after altering those settings.

I'm seeing a lot of reports on the net that Crossfire/SLI tend to have some very serious issues with non-AAA games that aren't explicitly tested and supported by AMD/Nvidia (those reports also mention the driver crashing in exactly the way you described it). I suspect Crossfire support for OpenGL isn't too great, either.

However, you say that a much older version of Atlas didn't have this problem. I'd like to find out exactly what OpenGL functionality causes the crash. When/if you get a chance, roll back the SVN history until you find a version of Atlas that works. Revision 12299 may be a good place to start. If you are able to get any debug output it could be useful, though I'm not too hopeful a driver crash like this would show on a debugger.

All that having been said, the workaround seems pretty solid and very few people use Crossfire. I'd say this is a low-priority problem, so we shouldn't worry too much about it - at least at this point.