Tournaments after each alpha?

Spahbod

from irc:

[12:05] <fcxSanya_> Spahbod, tournaments idea sounds interesting, I supposed to answer something in the topic, but end up with hitting "upvote post" for now :)

[12:07] <fcxSanya_> most likely first winners will be Mythos_Ruler, Pureon, feneur and/or some other often playing team members :)

[12:08] <Spahbod> I think we should not let Mythos, Pureon and feneur play in the tournaments

[12:08] <Spahbod> It should be more community based

[12:10] <fcxSanya_> I don't see any issues with team members participation

[12:20] <Spahbod> but those three will undoubtadly be winers

Well, I have seen people find the idea interesting. But this is the only comment about it. Anyway, if we are going to do it, we should define the layout of the competitions. Also we should inform people about such a tournament. So ladies and gentlemen, if you like to compete, declare it here :)

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe wait until Beta before we make them so serious that we have awards for them (even if they're only forum badges) though, there's no way we can be sure no one is cheating etc, so better just do them for fun for now :)

I think it's a good idea to set down some basic rules about the tournament already though. I assume you mean that players will play 1vs1 against each other, but will it be the kind of tournament where only the winner of each match moves forward in the tournament, or should it be some other kind? I would suggest some other kind of tournament, but it's hard to make rules which are both fair and will not take forever to complete (i.e. have everyone play 1vs1 against everyone and then the one with the most won matches wins etc, might be feasible now though unless we get a ton of players).

Also, since the game is still prone to crashes every now and then, what should happen then? Should the game be replayed? Should the one who had the best score win? Etc. (Someone could potentially try and crash the game if they are about to lose. There aren't many ways to deliberately crash the game that I'm aware of, so maybe that can't be much of an issue, but still. I do think one can pretty reliably get the game to crash if you alt-tab back and forth a couple of times in a multiplayer game.

How should it be determined who won the game? Should they be recorded (hard to get everyone to do that)? Should a third player be present to observe (hard to have people be available often enough to check that)? Should a savegame be sent in (assuming that a savegame can be saved after a game is won/reasonably close to winning)? Or should we for now just hope that people are honest and will report their victories/losses appropriately?

I think it's a good idea to set down some basic rules about the tournament already though. I assume you mean that players will play 1vs1 against each other, but will it be the kind of tournament where only the winner of each match moves forward in the tournament, or should it be some other kind? I would suggest some other kind of tournament, but it's hard to make rules which are both fair and will not take forever to complete (i.e. have everyone play 1vs1 against everyone and then the one with the most won matches wins etc, might be feasible now though unless we get a ton of players).

IMO, if the number of players was high, we should make the first "round(s)" played as "4-free for all" and rest as "1v1".

Also, since the game is still prone to crashes every now and then, what should happen then? Should the game be replayed? Should the one who had the best score win? Etc. (Someone could potentially try and crash the game if they are about to lose. There aren't many ways to deliberately crash the game that I'm aware of, so maybe that can't be much of an issue, but still. I do think one can pretty reliably get the game to crash if you alt-tab back and forth a couple of times in a multiplayer game.

That's a good question. If the game crashed at the beginning, we'd have another match. But if it was late in the game, we should use the score from sim_log (which records the whole game).

How should it be determined who won the game? Should they be recorded (hard to get everyone to do that)? Should a third player be present to observe (hard to have people be available often enough to check that)? Should a savegame be sent in (assuming that a savegame can be saved after a game is won/reasonably close to winning)? Or should we for now just hope that people are honest and will report their victories/losses appropriately?

If there is no award yet and it is all for fun, I doubt people would lie about their games. Still if that happened, we can ask them to give us their "sim_log". I'm sure we can find the difference between "real" and "fake" sim_logs.

IMO, if the number of players was high, we should make the first "round(s)" played as "4-free for all" and rest as "1v1".

That's a good question. If the game crashed at the beginning, we'd have another match. But if it was late in the game, we should use the score from sim_log (which records the whole game).

If there is no award yet and it is all for fun, I doubt people would lie about their games. Still if that happened, we can ask them to give us their "sim_log". I'm sure we can find the difference between "real" and "fake" sim_logs.

Sounds good to me. I didn't remember the sim_log, that should be more than enough for now :)

What about people who want to play but don't have much time?

It is better for such people to play independent games instead of tournament because they'll be declared loser if they don't play their game. Still, I think we should declare a "period" for each round when the pairs agree on a time to play. Also I think we should separate the tournament into two timezones, america and europe (east asia can be added if enough volunteers are found)

One way to do a tournament would be to have players just pick opponents from a pool. Then each result would be recorded and could be used to compute a ranking. The computation would work similarly to the Google pagerank algorithm. This means that if I beat a high ranked person I get many more 'points' then if I beat a rubbish person. So you are encouraged to play people your level and it gives a pretty fair ranking. This would mean it would be easier to find a game since you wouldn't be restricted with who you can play.

It does feel a bit less like a tournament though.

bro, what you just described is AoE III's ranking system online ;-)

I like the idea of having a server where you can log in as a user with rank, friendlist etc

At the moment one can only play with people one knows, via ip adress.

Maybe there should temporarly be a chatroom here, so that people can meet each other for multiplayer games.

(waiting for web-master geek377's "challenge accepted, but give it a week" XD(nah, just kidding))

Edited by alkazar-ipse

bro, what you just described is AoE III's ranking system online ;-)

I like the idea of having a server where you can log in as a user with rank, friendlist etc

At the moment one can only play with people one knows, via ip adress.

Maybe there should temporarly be a chatroom here, so that people can meet each other for multiplayer games.

(waiting for web-master geek377's "challenge accepted, but give it a week" XD(nah, just kidding))

There is a chat room: http://webchat.quake...g/?channels=0ad :)

For a more advanced system I'd say it's probably better to wait until later, and for now do something simpler :) It doesn't have to be perfect, it's not like we're going to determine who's absolutely the best 0 A.D. player ever :)

Edited by feneur
missed the middle of the second sentence when going from my head to the post =)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...