Video Editor - Brynn

Has a Windows build of the sky version been uploaded? That would be great to try!

Not yet, but this close to a release new builds are going in fairly frequently. You can check what is going into SVN here. At the moment, new builds usually have a log message saying "Manual build".

This is what I get. Maybe this could be enabled in future cutscenes mode.

You need to "reveal map" from the dev console. Like I said above, this hack disables all the LOS, so obviously while it gets the job done for now, it's unacceptable for the long term.

The right way to do this will be to modify the simulation, not the renderer. The process to initialise a cutscene should both tell the renderer to enable sky rendering and also tell the LOS updating component (which is in the simulation part of the engine) to clear the LOS completely (i.e. LOS is still rendered, but it's invisible).

Hi! I noticed a new build had gone up so I've got that working! The sky looks very nice, and will be great for screenshots and video as long as you avoid seeing the black horizon gap. Is there any video you woud like me to work on now? Otherwise, I will just try out some shots and see what sort of things I can put together.

Thank you!

--Brynn

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any video you woud like me to work on now?

I don't remember whether this was already proposed to you, but some time ago we discussed a tutorial video. Later quantumstate and Pureon did some development on the tutorial scenario, but it a bit stuck due to lack of volunteers. So I think a video tutorial still can be useful. What do you think?

I could help with video tutorials if you want. Would this be for things like selecting and moving units, gathering resources, attacking, etc.?

--Brynn

That would be a good start :) And since those features aren't very likely to change over time it's probably a good thing to do them in a video/videos of their own and then do individual videos on other more complicated features.

Would this be for things like selecting and moving units, gathering resources, attacking, etc.?

Yes, you can do things by Pureon's scenario here.

And since those features aren't very likely to change over time it's probably a good thing to do them in a video/videos of their own and then do individual videos on other more complicated features.

I also thought about how we are going to keep video(s) up-to-date. Maybe it can be split into small pieces, I imagine something like the black screen with a caption, e.g. 'Resource gathering' then a video fragment, then the next black screen with a caption and in the next fragment either the previous video can proceed or there can be a totally different map with a different civ etc. showing another feature. This way we can easily compose pieces into videos of any length, add new features to existing videos or replace parts if there was some significant changes.

I also thought about how we are going to keep video(s) up-to-date. Maybe it can be split into small pieces, I imagine something like the black screen with a caption, e.g. 'Resource gathering' then a video fragment, then the next black screen with a caption and in the next fragment either the previous video can proceed or there can be a totally different map with a different civ etc.

I disagree changing civilization on the tutorial, this may get the viewer a little confused. I don't think the basics will change much from how they work now. I also think that these video tutorials should be narrated instead of text-based.

I was bored at work and I've written a draft following Pureon's scenario (narrator italics and actions taken in bold)

Please note that I'm not an english native speaker, excuse any grammar errors and such. Modifications and suggestions are welcome.

--(Start of BASICS video tutorial)--

Narrator: Welcome to 0AD! In this video tutorial we will teach you the basics of this RTS game based on ancient warfare. We will start selecting units, moving them and assigning them a task.

-Select a female citizen, select multiple females with click and drag, then Right-click on different places to move them-

In 0AD you select units by left clicking on them to select one unit, or left click and drag to select multiple units. Once selected you can order them to move by right clicking on a clear area on the map.

-Select a female citizen, then Right-click on a berry bush nearby to collect food-

Female citizens are builder and gatherer units only, they cannot attack enemy targets, but they gather food faster than other units. Right click on a resource to start collecting.

-Select a citizen-soldier, Right click on a tree near the Civ Centre to collect wood-

Citizen-soldiers can be used as builders, resource gatherers and military units. Citizen-soldiers gather wood faster than female citizens. Right click on a resource to start collecting.

-Select the Civ Centre, shift-click Hoplite icon (2nd in the row) once to train 5 units-

Female citizens and Citizen-soldiers can be trained in your Civic Centre by a different amount of resources. We are going to train 5 Hoplites at once using shift-click. You can also train units one by one clicking with the left click on their portraits. You can see the progress of the units trained in the progress icon in the building (explain different resources while waiting the Hoplites to be trained)

-Select two idle female citizens, build a house nearby rotating the building before placing it-

(after explaining the population "resource") We need to build houses to allow us to train more units. Click the house building icon and place it where you want it. Almost every building must be placed inside your territory borders (show borders). You can rotate the building by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse. You can task multiple units to construct a building faster.

-Select the newly trained Hoplites and assign them to build a mill beside some nearby trees. They will begin to gather wood when it's constructed-

In order to gather resources faster, you can create "dropsites" buildings where the resources will be stored. Food can be stored on farmsteads. Metal, stone and wood on mills. Select some units, click on the mill building icon and chose a place near the resources. The builders will start collecting the nearest resource once the dropsite is completed.

-Select the Civ Centre, shift-click skirmisher icon (3rd in the row) once to train 5 units. Hover above the different units to show stats tooltip-

We are going to train 5 skirmisher units. Skirmishers are ranged units who can attack from a distance. You can see each unit attack, defense, weaknesses and strenghts stats in the tooltip.

-Select any idle builders and build a farmstead in an open space beside the Civ Centre-

Food can be gathered from different sources: hunting, bushes or trees, and farms. Food is collected in farmsteads. We will now build a farmstead and a farm to collect more food. Select some builders, click on the farmstead icon, and place the building. (While the farmstead is being constructed) Like the mills, when the farmstead is completed the builders will look for nearby food to collect. (wait until farmstead is done) Now we will create a farm with the same builders, click on the farm icon and place it next to the farmstead. The builders will start collecting food from the farm when it's completed.

-Using the newly created skirmishers, place two house foundations-

We will need more houses to create an army, you can order to your units to build more than one house. Just click on the house icon and place the house holding shift and you'll be able to place another one. Your units will start building the next one when the first is completed.

-Select Civ Centre and train 5 Spearmen an showing rally points-

Now we will train 5 spearmen and assign them tasks before they are trained. You can assign tasks to your units before they are trained using rally points, or to automatically travel to a specific place on the map. Selecting the Civ Centre and clicking five times on the Spearmen portrait will queue five units. With the building selected, you can right-click on an area, building foundation or resource and the trained units will travel, build or collect depending on where you set the rally point (change rally point for each unit trained to show the effect)

-Select idle Spearmen to build an outpost at the edge of your territory-

Unlike female citizens, citizen soldiers are able to build military buildings. Using our recently trained spearmen we will build an outpost. First, we will select all spearmen units on the screen by double-leftclicking on a spearman unit. Then we will click on the outpost icon and place it. Outposts are good for territory surveillance and can be placed outside your territory borders, but they will lose healthpoint continuously until it's destroyed.

-Select Civ Centre again and advance to Town Phase by clicking on the icon-

Our village is getting bigger and bigger. When you have at least 5 buildings and a required amount of resources you unlock the next village phase. You can advance to the next phase by clicking the "Town phase" icon on the Civ centre. There are three phases: the starter village phase, town phase and city phase.You will unlock new buildings and technologies on each one.

-Select idle Spearmen to build a Barracks nearby-

(wait until town phase is completed) Now that we have advanced to town phase, we will construct a barracks which is now unlocked. We will select our idle spearmen, click on the barracks icon and place it in the map.

-Prepare for enemy attack, build Defense Tower near Civ Centre, train soldiers on Barracks-

Like ancient times, we need to be prepared for incoming enemy attacks. A good way to defend your base against enemy attacks is building defense towers. These buildings shoot arrows to any enemy unit on sight. Select some units, click on the Defense Tower icon and place it near your Civ Centre. It is not a bad idea to train more units using our recent constructed barracks. (create some units)

-Select Barracks and research Infantry training tech-

You should always be prepared. There are some buildings that allows you to research technologies that may give you an advantage against your enemy. For example, in the barracks you can research Infantry Training technology to improve infantry hack attack (click). There are other technologies that can give you advantage on resource gathering and other benefits. You can keep track of the progress of the technologies being researched on the top-right corner of the screen.

-Stopping enemy attack-

We are being attacked! To command to your units to attack, you can drag with left mouse button while holding ALT to avoid selecting female citizens, once your soldiers are selected, right click on the unit or building you want to attack.

--(End of BASICS video tutorial)--

Advance video tutorial: attacking and defeating an enemy base with troops and siege.

Advance tutorial will cover:

-Market system

-Priests and healing

-Garrisoning

-Grouping with CTRL + number

-Wall building and gates

-Heroes

-Unit promoting system?

-stances?

Do you think the style is good? Of course, other clips would follow this one with more camera controls.

As a nitpick, maybe a bit of top and bottom padding in the 'grey box' where text and images are shown would look good? Currently, the hotkey images/animations clip very closely to the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know if you like it!

Nice video.

Display part of the forum's post reputation counter is broken, but if you would click on that "0" in the grey rectangle at the bottom right corner of your post you will see some likes :)

Video thumbnail looks broken, it should be possible to select another one:

Top Right of your video's page click on the icon of a gear (settings)' date=' click on Thumbnail, choose one or upload one of your own.

[/quote']