Video Editor - Brynn

My concern with the music is that a different track for each clip would produce too many transitions and feel jarring, especially if the video were shortened. What do you think?

I agree, switching between songs would be annoying. So I think you should stick to one song, but just make sure to change between shots based on the beats of the song.

I think this video may help explain the idea. Even if you use a different video editing program, here is a good example from 1:28 onwards:

And the data files are located in the data folder? Do I just replace the files from Alpha X with the ones from the SVN? Thank you for helping me with all this!

--Brynn

You'll want to "check out" (download) a full copy of the SVN files as described in the guide to be sure you don't miss anything. It is a bit intricate at first, but once you have things set up, its very easy to keep to date.

The musical transitions and the length of the video seems to work well now.

I wonder if any of the programmers here don't know a trick to turn off those pesky territory borders... and perhaps a way to set camera speed from the developer console? Anyone?

Unit silhouettes (the red and blue figures that show up at various points, e.g. 0:25), at least, can be disabled from the in-game options menu.

Since the video's central message is "Fight across the Ancient World!", have you considered adding a few fighting scenes? Perhaps at the point where the music picks up and onwards...?

Edited by zoot

(The easiest way to record a map without territory borders is to record a map where there are no buildings :rolleyes: Or if you want to have buildings I guess you could use Gaia, though then you'd not get any player color on the buildings. These would just be workarounds though, there could already be a way, or otherwise it could be done :) Generally speaking it's hardly a priority, but since it sounds relatively easy, and would be a huge difference for anyone taking screenshots I think it could be worth looking into at least.)

Great video, Brynn! Here's my suggestions

- I think it would be better to make the words appear dynamically (with transition animation and effects) instead of just appear and disappear like subtitles.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_GQx-qmYo

I believe there is such feature in the video editing software of yours. Even Microsoft MovieMaker have this.

-I hope there could be more units and buildings in the video. You know, to make them seems more 'epic' :) (I know the main focus is supposed to be the environment, but yeah). And make them more involved in the scene. Like a scout that discovering a new environment, or a group of soldiers crossing the river, etc

Also, +1 to some fighting scenes. Put it in the last, while the words 'Fight across the ancient world' appears.

-I see that you use mixed shots, panning and rotating alternately. Don't you think it would be better to make video transition smoother by using pan shots first, and then slowly using the rotate shots? Also make each shots getting shorter and each transition faster. To add tension, like in movie teasers. So in fight scenes, it would only flashes through several quick scenes, and then cut to title scene, the end. Well, I guess you are more experienced than me.

-Did you know that the newest version in SVN has windy trees and special effects that makes textures more pronounced? It would be a great for videos!

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments! I did not see an obvious way to turn off the silhouettes or territory borders. Where is the option?

Since the video's central message is "Fight across the Ancient World!", have you considered adding a few fighting scenes? Perhaps at the point where the music picks up and onwards...?

I had considered adding a bit of fighting at the end; the problem is that fighting drops the frame rate on the game, and the jerky camera looks awful in a video.

Great video, Brynn! Here's my suggestions

- I think it would be better to make the words appear dynamically (with transition animation and effects) instead of just appear and disappear like subtitles.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_GQx-qmYo

I believe there is such feature in the video editing software of yours. Even Microsoft MovieMaker have this.

-I hope there could be more units and buildings in the video. You know, to make them seems more 'epic' :) (I know the main focus is supposed to be the environment, but yeah). And make them more involved in the scene. Like a scout that discovering a new environment, or a group of soldiers crossing the river, etc

Also, +1 to some fighting scenes. Put it in the last, while the words 'Fight across the ancient world' appears.

-I see that you use mixed shots, panning and rotating alternately. Don't you think it would be better to make video transition smoother by using pan shots first, and then slowly using the rotate shots? Also make each shots getting shorter and each transition faster. To add tension, like in movie teasers. So in fight scenes, it would only flashes through several quick scenes, and then cut to title scene, the end. Well, I guess you are more experienced than me.

-Did you know that the newest version in SVN has windy trees and special effects that makes textures more pronounced? It would be a great for videos!

I'm glad you like it! I can certainly add effects to the text, but the look I wanted for this video was a smooth, "flying" look, so the fades go well with that. That is also why there are not many units, because the focus is on environments and locations. Your last suggestion would make a good video, but is not what I wanted for this video. That style seems more appropriate for a video that focuses on battle, rather than on locations.

Thank you for your feedback!

--Brynn

I like the video, but I noticed three things that could be imroved in my opinion.

1. The music starts at a peak in terms of intensity. I mean if you listen to that track, I guess the part you start with is somewhere in the second half.

It would be better if the music's tension increased in the video or at least started with a simpler and slower part. I hope you know what I mean, it's difficult to explain.

2. I think the camera movement could be improved, but that's probably a technical problem at the moment.

3. In my opinion you have shown some parts of maps which are visually below average or you focused too much on them. An example is "the rivers of Gaul".

It's too much zoomed in and both the textures and the transition between water and land don't look quite good.

Hi! It was requested that the video transitions synchronise with the music, so that is why the track starts where it does. Starting at the beginning did not work with the video clips.

Regarding the camera movement, do you mean cleaner transitions on the straight to spin part? I would like this also, but the camera needs more inertia to smooth this out. And I thought the river looked fine zoomed in and produces a more dramatic shot; I inculded more zoomed out shots elsewhere as was suggested.

Thank you for your feedback!

--Brynn

Hi! It was requested that the video transitions synchronise with the music, so that is why the track starts where it does. Starting at the beginning did not work with the video clips.

Yeah, it would require some sound-savvy person to 'compress' (in time) the track to get it any better, I think.

That was criticizing on a high level. :)

Regarding the camera movement, do you mean cleaner transitions on the straight to spin part? I would like this also, but the camera needs more inertia to smooth this out.

There are multiple details that aren't optimal when using the ingame controls for camera movement. One thing is also that the camera's altitude sometimes doesn't change smoothly enough.

A separate camera control for ingame video-sequences (or how's that called?) and for videos like yours will be needed.

Maybe I can do something about that in the next weeks... if there's no solution available yet.

And I thought the river looked fine zoomed in and produces a more dramatic shot; I inculded more zoomed out shots elsewhere as was suggested.

Indeed, that's the part I also like about that shot.

I didn't mean you have to change it. I just mentioned an aspect I don't like about it and maybe you have an idea how that aspect can be improved. :)

There are multiple details that aren't optimal when using the ingame controls for camera movement. One thing is also that the camera's altitude sometimes doesn't change smoothly enough.

A separate camera control for ingame video-sequences (or how's that called?) and for videos like yours will be needed.

Maybe I can do something about that in the next weeks... if there's no solution available yet.

That would be really cool if you could get a special camera for video. It would help smooth things out.

Indeed, that's the part I also like about that shot.

I didn't mean you have to change it. I just mentioned an aspect I don't like about it and maybe you have an idea how that aspect can be improved. :)

Oh, okay! Yes, there are always things to improve in the game as well as the videos. Unfortunately, I do not not know much about actually changing those sorts of things, not having really done any programming.

--Brynn

The controls that would be most useful would be in-game controls for the camera speed. Even just keyboard shortcuts to speed up and slow down the camera without exiting the game and editing the configuration file would really help!

I just committed this to svn. You will need a rebuild since it is in the C++ part. Take a look at the default.config for the hotkeys and you can adjust how much pressing the hotkey changes the speed (view.scroll/zoom/rotate.speed.modifier).

Thank you for your comments! I did not see an obvious way to turn off the silhouettes or territory borders. Where is the option?

When in a game session, click MENU in the upper right corner, then "Settings". You should get a dialog like this:

DyUXD.png

A territory border toggle has not been implemented yet, I believe.