Suggestions about Quote of the Day

azayrahmad

Our current loading screen has a progress bar, a picture of a unit type/building and its explanation on the right, and below there is a "Quote of the Day" which is apparently change every time I load a game instead of every day and filled with latin phrases and abbreviations.

I guess (and hope) those latin phrases are just like lorem ipsum that later will be replaced by actual quote of the day. I'm still curious as to what will it be replaced into?

If there is no plan to replace the quote, I have some suggestions in my mind. How about we replace it with:

1. Tips of the day. This is quite common in every game and software. It's basically Learn to Play split into sentences and displayed randomly.

2. Actual quote of the day. Like in Rome Total War, they have a quote about war in every loading screen.

3. Fun facts/ Trivia: I think it's nice to see some random facts about the era that not many people know or many common people get it wrong. Like why those Gaesatae fought battle naked, etc. I bet many of you from history division found many things in this era actually different from what many people today think they know.

I wonder if there is already a team assembled to gather these quotes. If there is, I am willing to participate.

Upon reading the tip of the day while loading, I always expect it to pertain to the map somehow. It would IMO be nice if we could relate tips to maps with some JSON or some such, so e.g. on a naval map you would be likely to get tips about naval warfare, on a map with pyramids, you might get a tip about mining pyramids, etc.

Upon reading the tip of the day while loading, I always expect it to pertain to the map somehow. It would IMO be nice if we could relate tips to maps with some JSON or some such, so e.g. on a naval map you would be likely to get tips about naval warfare, on a map with pyramids, you might get a tip about mining pyramids, etc.

It could be keyword based, the map data already supports keywords which are simply an array of strings. Not a bad idea, but because map loading might be too fast on some systems, if we want tips and loading screens to be more practical we should also implement this: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/689

I also like how in other games you can view tips and instructions specific to a map, even after the game has started. That's most useful for campaigns but really any map could benefit from a list of tips and guidelines.

I really like the Latin phrases, I don't see why we should replace them... Tips are already there next to the picture. It would be nice for the quote to last at least 12 hours though. And we could include some trivia too.

It's lovely but I don't think it's suitable to be displayed in an action RTS game. Also it's not 'Quote of the Day', more like 'Words/Phrase of the Day'.

If it's really supposed to be filled with phrases, I think it should be limited to things relevant to the topic (war) like military terms. So instead of getting words like alma mater or ad nauseum, it's nice to see military terms like syntagma and primum agmen. Also it would be nice to see military terms from other languages which factions featured in the game, if available. Like Indian terms when you load the screen and play Mauryan, etc.

It could be keyword based, the map data already supports keywords which are simply an array of strings. Not a bad idea, but because map loading might be too fast on some systems, if we want tips and loading screens to be more practical we should also implement this: http://trac.wildfire....com/ticket/689

I also like how in other games you can view tips and instructions specific to a map, even after the game has started. That's most useful for campaigns but really any map could benefit from a list of tips and guidelines.

I agree. Many games uses this way. You load the screen, and then after 100% loaded, instead of going straight to the game, a 'Start Game' button appears. So if you aren't finished yet reading the tips, don't worry, just read it thoroughly and then start the game. This is also useful for those who likes to going to the toilet while waiting the game to load (usually those with slower computer). You don't want to go back from the toilet only to find your citizens being slain while doing nothing, won't you? But before implementing this, I think first we need to make sure that the loading screen is worth staring at.

Also the unit/building pictures and quotes seems to be appear randomly. Keyword based means that when you play Spartan faction in a naval map, the picture (and the explanation beside it) is one of Spartan units, preferably naval units. And the quote/ tips below is about naval warfare. Really nice.

Also it would be nice to see military terms from other languages which factions featured in the game, if available. Like Indian terms when you load the screen and play Mauryan, etc.

In general we should strive to have a good representation of all the cultures in the game and not just have a boring, Eurocentric Greco-Roman bias.

I think most people get the latin pronunciation wrong already :) . I like the latin phrases but wouldn't mind at all if others were used. Could also improve the screen on the right (with some updated information and some useful tips(not "recruit villagers to collect resources"))

I expect we use Latin quotes so far because they are the most plentiful and easy to find.

IIRC our quotes.txt is just some old (year 2006) copy of this wikipedia page: List of Latin phrases (full), there is even a couple of numbered links inside ([1], [2]), so it looks like it was intended as temporary placeholder (we can ask Jason btw, since it was his commit). Before there were quotes from this page, which are even more placeholder-like.

I really hope you don't remove the latin phrases! I don't mind that they're not always war-themed, sometimes I write them down for future use in conversations xD

I do agree that we might want to limit the latin phrases to the romans and give the other civs quotes from their own languages. I don't know in how far we can make those quotes relevant to the game you will be playing, but having quotes that talk of 'nostra mare' while loading an Ardennes Forest map should not happen.

Anyway, if we add hints of the day, that doesn't mean we have to remove the quotes does it? Personally I was never a fan of those hints in other strategy games and I didn't tend to read them, so if we have to chose I would prefer the quotes!

Vote Quotes! :thumbup:

• Like 1

IIRC our quotes.txt is just some old (year 2006) copy of this wikipedia page: List of Latin phrases (full), there is even a couple of numbered links inside ([1], [2]), so it looks like it was intended as temporary placeholder (we can ask Jason btw, since it was his commit). Before there were quotes from this page, which are even more placeholder-like.

So that's where the quotes are written. quotes.txt. Well, if there are no team assigned yet to compile this quotes collection, I guess I could start gathering it right away.

I really hope you don't remove the latin phrases! I don't mind that they're not always war-themed, sometimes I write them down for future use in conversations xD

I do agree that we might want to limit the latin phrases to the romans and give the other civs quotes from their own languages. I don't know in how far we can make those quotes relevant to the game you will be playing, but having quotes that talk of 'nostra mare' while loading an Ardennes Forest map should not happen.

Anyway, if we add hints of the day, that doesn't mean we have to remove the quotes does it? Personally I was never a fan of those hints in other strategy games and I didn't tend to read them, so if we have to chose I would prefer the quotes!

Vote Quotes! :thumbup:

I guess tips and quotes have their own place each. Tips are in the center, with picture, while quotes are below it. So don't worry about losing one of them.

This is my vision of a great loading screen:

1. The tips section would be called 'Did you know?' and it would feature general hints/tips and trick, preferably related to the map that is about to be played. For example 'You could select only military units by pressing Alt while dragging.' and on the right there is a picture of selected army and deselected female citizens.

And it could also feature fun facts/trivia about the era, like 'Chemical and biological warfare have been used long before World War 1. During the Peloponnesian War in the 5th century BC, Spartans used sulfur and pitch to overcome the enemy.' with the picture of Peloponnesian war on the right.

2. The quotes section would feature quotes about war/combat and also unique phrases from related factions.

How about that?

• Like 1

I like that idea! It could really be fun to read some fun facts while waiting.

But don't feel obligated to have only war-related quotes and facts. This is a strategy game so I expect most of them will be, but add some quotes and trivia that are solely cultural.

Thumbs up! x2

Line 385 of the Quote of the Day, Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant -- Where they make a wasteland, they call it peace" - Gaius Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola, ch. 30., is missing the opening quote on the translation.

Edited by Zeta1127

All the medieval/modern/Christian phrases should go, e.g.:

• Ad lucem -- "Towards the light" - the motto of the University of Lisbon.
  • Christus Rex -- "Christ the King."
  • Citius altius fortius -- "Faster, higher, stronger" - Motto of the modern Olympics.
  • Claves Sancti Petri -- "The keys of St. Peter" - symbol of the Papacy.
  • Confoederatio Helvetica (C.H.) -- "Helvetian Confederation" - the official name of Switzerland, which explains the use of "ch" for its ISO country code and Internet domain.
  • Consummatum est -- "It is completed" - In the Latin translation of John 19:30, the last words of Jesus Christ on the Cross.
  • Contemptus saeculi -- "Contempt of the secular (world)" - the monk's or philosopher's rejection of mundane life and values.
  • Corpus Christi -- "Body of Christ."
  • Habemus papam -- "We have a pope" - used in a Catholic Church conclave to announce a successful ballot to elect a new pope.
  • Imago dei -- "In the image of God" - a religious concept.
  • Imprimatur -- "(It) may be printed" - an authorization to publish, granted by some censoring authority (originally a Catholic Bishop).
  • Index librorum prohibitorum -- "List of prohibited books" - a list of books considered heretic by the Catholic Church.
  • Inter caetera -- "Among others". Title of a papal bull.

Yep, what is currently being displayed was intended to just be a place holder.

• 4 weeks later...

It could be keyword based, the map data already supports keywords which are simply an array of strings. Not a bad idea, but because map loading might be too fast on some systems, if we want tips and loading screens to be more practical we should also implement this: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/689

Where are these keywords stored and how are they usually accessed?

• 3 weeks later...

Line 385 of the Quote of the Day, Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant -- "Where they make a wasteland, they call it peace" - Gaius Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola, ch. 30., is missing the opening quote on the translation.

Here is a good one to add.

Si vis pacem, para bellum -- "If you want peace, prepare for war" - i.e. "peace through strength", Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De Re Militari, Book III.

Instead of phrases, for some of the other civilizations, we should use traditional proverbs. I know that there is a traditional Persian proverb (I don't know the Persian for it) Only at night can you see the stars. And there is a traditional Lebanese (Phoenician) proverb 'alim noor, jahal thalaam (literally: knowledge is light, ignorance is darkness). If anybody has played Civilization IV, when you research technologies there are proverbs relating to the technologies, maybe we could use some of those proverbs as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...