Scaffolding, framing

I saw this on Trac:

Scaffold test object by Enrique. Looks nice. No errors. Possible prototype for some kind of construction scaffolding for buildings.

If scaffolding is done (I realize it is hypothetical at the moment), presumably building frames would also need to be done? If frames are done, I wonder if we could also use them for rendering nice looking damaged buildings (like where part of the roof is gone, so you see part of the frame/interior instead)?

It would be an approximation, like what is done in AOEO....

Click button in UI. Place foundation actor. When builder starts building, then scaffolding pops into place. As the building gets more and more complete, it rises up into place through the scaffold and through a bunch of dust. Then boom, it's complete. It's simple and elegant, looks nice, certainly better than what we have now, and is easier on the art department than having them model multiple instances of every single building based on completeness. :)

I guess it would be technically possible to do something like that without having to create new models, but it looks a bit too modern in this particular implementation (ancient folks wouldn't use 'building modules' like that). Perhaps someone skilled enough could find a way to derive a frame model from the basic building model, but it would be non-trivial (beyond non-trivial probably).

Edited by zoot

The problem is that each structure has often different forms and layouts, this makes the frames obligatory to be made by hand for each building. My opinion is to have predefined scaffolding positions for the different foundation sizes.

Scaffolding + construction materials from the foundation asset + building emerging from the ground + dust, should be enough IMO.

It's also easy to make one or two scaffolding variations like one-level scaffold for small buildings for example, or add some cranes on bigger building foundations.

• Like 1

The problem is that each structure has often different forms and layouts, this makes the frames obligatory to be made by hand for each building. My opinion is to have predefined scaffolding positions for the different foundation sizes.

Scaffolding + construction materials from the foundation asset + building emerging from the ground + dust, should be enough IMO.

It's also easy to make one or two scaffolding variations like one-level scaffold for small buildings for example, or add some cranes on bigger building foundations.

Yep! One or two scaffold meshes for each footprint size should do the trick. Just base them off of the foundation mesh sizes and we're good to go. :)

I really loved the way Knights and Merchants ( old RTS game) handled construction.

Basically around every 10 % of the construction shows a new visual of the building. The main difference with games like Age of Empires, tropico or the settlers is that they actually showed the framework of the building getting constructed first! For me this is an amazing feature. Imagine: first the wooden beams , then the rest.

I really loved the way Knights and Merchants ( old RTS game) handled construction.

Basically around every 10 % of the construction shows a new visual of the building. The main difference with games like Age of Empires, tropico or the settlers is that they actually showed the framework of the building getting constructed first! For me this is an amazing feature. Imagine: first the wooden beams , then the rest.

You are aware that that would add ten times as much work for each and every building, right?

Personally I don't think it looks bad. Rising scaffolding might look a tad better, but I'm not sure since if the scaffolding rises slowly from the ground it looks like part of the structure. If the scaffolding would rise in steps, i.e. first the bottom, then the next piece of scaffolding is added after a while, that might be better overall.

This looks cool, but do we really want the building overlapping the scaffolding like that? Not a huge deal, but it may come off as a bit hacky.

Is there anything that prevents the scaffolding from being put outside the buildings footprint? I mean there's the risk that units will walk through it unless we give buildings-under-construction a different obstruction size than finished buildings (which probably would look better if it's not too much extra work), but as long as it doesn't make things harder to implement that sounds like the nicer thing to do.