System requirements

Just to throw my ideas out here, I think the recommended system requirements should be:

• 2GB RAM
  • Dual Core CPU @ 2.0GHz
  • 3GBs HD space
  • 512Mb graphics card supporting OpenGL 2.0 or better (ex: All AMD HD series cards and select ATI 9000 series cards)
  • 1280x720 Screen Resolution

• Like 1

Hmm not good enough for minimum requirements? I know even that is subjective, do we want minimum requirements to be very playable, or just the game works without errors?

I was the one arguing the radeon 7000 series support. The problem is 0AD can't fit the textures and models in 64MB which is the most the radeon 7000 series supports. The game won't even start without setting novbo=true and once you have gotten the game to start, most of the textures won't load.

Edit: Here is my old bug report, the above is my assessment of the problem

Edit 2: But if we are dropping the fixed renderer, minimum requirements should be at least a Radeon 9500 (which is the start of GLSL support)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units#Radeon_R100_.287xxx.29_series

Edited by Josh

The problem is 0AD can't fit the textures and models in 64MB which is the most the radeon 7000 series supports

Ah, indeed after some analysis with gDEBugger, it appears we are beyond that limit. Even on fixed renderpath, the GL textures alone are 57MB at the start of the default map. I suppose the requirements can also be updated to specify a minimum of 128 MB video memory.