Suggestion about garrison button in civilization centre

I have played a few RTS games in my life, and most of them have the custamary "garrison all villagers" button.

At first sight this option looks really useful, and in some ways it is. But when you have 70 citizens working all around the map, and 20 of them are suddenly under atack, you won't probably want to hide them all. You will only want to protect the group that is in danger, while the rest of them keep on working.

So my suggestion is to create a civilization centre's button that allows us to automatically garrison citizens in territory that is under attack. This way, the rest of the citizens can continue working during the assault.

Now, what if the enemy starts to attack another group of citizens? well, in this case we push the button again, and this new group of citizens automatically seek shelter.

Sounds usefull. Don't you think?

I think it'd be better to build this into the AI. If any defenceless person is attacked, they run for the nearest garrisonable building (tower, town center etc). And they don't leave it until the enemy units within the area are gone. Adding a button to do this makes it very micro-managementy, which will slow down the games pace.

I think it'd be better to build this into the AI. If any defenseless person is attacked, they run for the nearest garrisonable building (tower, town center etc). And they don't leave it until the enemy units within the area are gone. Adding a button to do this makes it very micro-managementy, which will slow down the games pace.

I agree with build the behavior into AI. Most RTS have citizens either stands still or run in limited distance when attacked by enemy. Some have their citizens armed with simple weapon that obviously cannot win. They should have run into the nearest building and lock the door until everything is safe, ie there is no enemy detected by the building's line of sight.

But I agree with Zeta1127. The button is important. The AI only could save the one who is nearest to the enemy, so the citizens who is far away couldn't know what is coming for them. We still need to ring the emergency bell so everyone in town would know if there is a large force coming.

I think it'd be better to build this into the AI. If any defenceless person is attacked, they run for the nearest garrisonable building (tower, town center etc). And they don't leave it until the enemy units within the area are gone. Adding a button to do this makes it very micro-managementy, which will slow down the games pace.

Well, maybe what K776 said is true, and a "garrison only citizens that are under attack" button, and pushing it time and time again would be micro-managementy.

But, just as the rest of members, I think that at least a tradicional "garrison all citizens" buttond would be necessary.

On the other hand, I think that regardless of citizens reaction when under attack, having the possiblity of manually garrison them will be really useful. And that is because it will allow us to protect them even before the enemy troops arrived. In other words, citizens won't have to wait until arrows are stuk in their backs to realise that is time to run away and hide.

So what do you guys think?

Maybe we could have the next 2 options in the game:

A "garrison all citizens" button, and at the same time, the posibility of garrison citizens whenever we want, just by selecting a desired group and right-clicking on civ centre (Or tower, or fortress).

the posibility of garrison citizens whenever we want, just by selecting a desired group and right-clicking on civ centre (Or tower, or fortress).

That already exists, though you need to press the Ctrl button first :) (Maybe you do know about it and just want to make sure it's not removed? :) ) And yeah, at the very least a garrison all female citizens button will exist :) It's the citizen soldiers that present the biggest issue, since you may or may not want to garrison them.

That already exists, though you need to press the Ctrl button first :) (Maybe you do know about it and just want to make sure it's not removed? :) ) And yeah, at the very least a garrison all female citizens button will exist :) It's the citizen soldiers that present the biggest issue, since you may or may not want to garrison them.

ohh no no, I din't know it was that simple (Just pressing Ctrl button). Actually, I started to play 0 A.D. about 1 month ago, and there are a lot of things I'm unaware of.

On the other hand, when I started this topic I was only thinking of female citizens since citizens soldiers can fight back.

I strongly disagree with this. I do not want my workers garrisoning when an enemy raiding force arrives. I want to move them myself to a safer gathering spot instead. The game is currently designed with direct unit control by players, which I like, I don't think adding this special case would be good.

• Like 1

Ok. Then a button is needed. Something you can toggle the units AI's "Auto flee" functionality. If enabled, units garrison, if not, units stay put and fight.

A town bell which garrisons everything inside on the users request would be a different button.

I strongly disagree with this. I do not want my workers garrisoning when an enemy raiding force arrives. I want to move them myself to a safer gathering spot instead. The game is currently designed with direct unit control by players, which I like, I don't think adding this special case would be good.

Now deciding the safe gathering spot, that is the real problem.

I'm with Quantumstate on this one. This would be good to have as an option. Some players like full control.

Also: the AI player should not have this functionality. The AI should garrison its unit itself if it wants to, not rely on the unitAI which is much harder to check and might lead to bugs in various forms.

I started this post because I thought that a "garrison only citizens that are under attack" button would be a good idea. But as K776 said, maybe it would be micro-managementy. And thinking about it, he's right.

I was only looking for a quick way to hide my citizens when attacked. And as Feneur said, Ctrl + Right Click is the perfect solution.

Finally, I have no doubt that a traditional "garrison all citizens" button is necessary. At least in some cases.

So guys, I have nothing left to say on this post. Thank you.

Up till now I've been using the using the ctrl-right click to garrison my female citizens, but this has several drawbacks:

-When they leave their respective buildings I have to assign them to gather resources again

-They don't always fit in one building which means I have to search for other buildings to hide them in

These are two problems which can easily be solved by the town bell button from aoe2 but there was one thing I could not stand in aoe2: all my villagers would garrison. This is not what I want. I only want the villagers near the place that is under attack to go and hide.

If I recall correctly someone said that this option is not necessary as it is better to reassign your workers to a safer resource spot. There is one flaw in this reasoning. This only works when you spot the enemy in time. Once your villagers are under attack you don't want to move them to a 'safe spot' as the enemies will follow them there. You want to put them somewhere where they are really safe.

I would love to see the town-bell ingame like this:

(this isn’t written with the programming in mind)

'maybe'-points are pure nice-to-have/if-time-permits things

• each cc has it’s own town-bell with limited range(a bit larger than cc’s territory), the bell only affects units within range
  • units try to garrison in all structures that support garrisoning
    (maybe, to maximize potential defensive: females primarily try to garrison in buildings that cannot attack, soldiers try to garrison in buildings that counter-attack; that way females don’t eat slots that soldiers could use to provide more defense)
  • when there are more units near a structure than it can hold, the units that don’t get a place try another building
    (imagine 20 units standing around a full tower while the fortress right next to it stays empty)
  • clicking on the town-bell icon garrisons the females
    (maybe: retask citizen soldiers to stop gathering, group near cc(drop their resources?) and attack enemies when in LOS)
  • a second icon(or a shift-click) to garrison all citizens
  • (maybe: alt-click garrisons even heros and champion units)

Edited by luziferius