Scandinavian rock formations

idanwin

I just went on holiday in sweden (Gotland) and saw some very nice rock formations. As a big fan of the scandinavian countries I would like to see some of them implemented in the game.

Like this one for example (as found on the island of Fårö):

post-4287-0-89796300-1343397351_thumb.jp

This is not a priority, of course, but having a variety of nice rock formations to play with in the editor would be great!

I'm willing to try and model it myself, but I'm no good, so it would be better if someone with more experience gave it a try.

(it would be amazing if units could walk through the opening ... when the rock is placed on land of course :rolleyes:

This what happens when I try to make a model :(

post-4287-0-55084100-1343397414_thumb.jp

Edited by idanwin

Yes, that topic is what lead me to imagine this formation being implemented. I would like to try to do it myself if no one else is interested so if anyone knows some good sites that explain how to model and/or texture rocks, please do enlighten me. I'll be away from my computer for some weeks so I won't be able to do it immediately, but if no one has given it a try yet when I get back I'll take it in my own clumsy hands.

Sweden rocks! (as does this game!!!)

Nice start out there buddy!

However to get nice looking rocks, you must not work on a single mesh. To create rock formations you must work mostly with primitives. Add several cubes, scale them around, place them above each other. Them you can start doing some minor edits, in order to get the effect. Or do a template rock, them start duplicating and editing it a bit.

I'll record a timelapse video tonight - If I get home early :P - So you can see how I do it. (I'm not the best, there could be some better ways around, but I'll show off how I do it :) )

Hope that will help :)

I'll model your reference if you let me hehehe :P

All the new rock models still need foundations to go below ground. Also many faces are UV mapped sticking out of the UV image - I was always under the impression faces should be mapped fully on the image canvas to stop seems appearing when shader effects are added, but perhaps this is no longer the case?

Cool video! :)

Well, I personally don't see problems with the use of UV outside the image area.

I've never seen a professional game where UVs are outside the UV grid, and I know most modelers stick to within the grid, but I don't know the technical reasons behind it.

Hmm... If we're going to stick with the grid, we're going to need High-Quality textures... I mean, specially for nature objects like Rocks. With units and buildings I have to agree with you. You'll never see UVs outside the UV area, mostly because these textures are not seamless :) If they were, maybe we would see that more ;)

Hmm... If we're going to stick with the grid, we're going to need High-Quality textures... I mean, specially for nature objects like Rocks. With units and buildings I have to agree with you. You'll never see UVs outside the UV area, mostly because these textures are not seamless :) If they were, maybe we would see that more ;)

One 512x512 rock texture for each biome should do the trick. Also, look in the folder to make sure there aren't already high def rock textures. I'm pretty sure there are some.