RANDOM MAPS: Suggestions, Bug reports and Ideas about random maps here.

Andy: 

(in A26)

I tried Carpathian 3 times at medium map size (4 vs 4) and each time it put me in a valley  on a flank with no path out.  The first time I built a fortress up against a cliff and I was able to free 1 soldier up top  at a time by emptying a full house in that direction (So that bug  is still kind of there).

They were able to build a camp but by that time my allies were all too far gone. I found it odd that I was the only civ that was locked in in all of my three attempts

I changed to a normal sized map and the problem went away.

I don't know if its worth debugging (or if it can be reproduced) but it is an interesting map. I've really enjoyed Homer's delight, Stan's Sorrow and Cliffs of Carnage from the latest release.

• Thanks 1

On 29/08/2022 at 6:33 AM, Stan` said:

Well you have the seed in the replay to replay the exact same map...

@Old Roman 

For example, let’s say you wanted to generate a random number in Excel (Note: Excel sets a limit of 9999 for the seed). If you enter a number into the Random Seed box during the process, you’ll be able to use the same set of random numbers again. If you typed “77” into the box, and typed “77” the next time you run the random number generator, Excel will display that same set of random numbers. If you type “99”, you’ll get an entirely different set of numbers. But if you revert back to a seed of 77, then you’ll get the same set of random numbers you started with.

The seed used for each game is stored in the replay file. 0ad has cmd line options to use the same seed. They're listed in binaries/system/readme.txt

Ok the following seeds generated a valley In medium Carpathian in which I was completely trapped:

"Seed":2164250698
"Seed":118454041
"Seed":1002090554

These may be useful to someone who might want to figure out why the map code is occasionally doing this.  For myself, I have no desire to play these seeds again.  However you may have answered a question I posted a long time ago about replaying a randomly generated game.  At that time I interpreted certain suggestions that I should use the seed in Atlas (which of course failed).  Thanks to Stan and Andy I see that the seed will probably work by starting the game with the command line and will investigate when I come across a particularly interesting iteration of a random map.  

2 hours ago, Old Roman said:

Ok the following seeds generated a valley In medium Carpathian in which I was completely trapped:

"Seed":2164250698
"Seed":118454041
"Seed":1002090554

These may be useful to someone who might want to figure out why the map code is occasionally doing this.  For myself, I have no desire to play these seeds again.  However you may have answered a question I posted a long time ago about replaying a randomly generated game.  At that time I interpreted certain suggestions that I should use the seed in Atlas (which of course failed).  Thanks to Stan and Andy I see that the seed will probably work by starting the game with the command line and will investigate when I come across a particularly interesting iteration of a random map.  

No need for you to do that @Old Roman:) Could you attach a replay though?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2022 at 8:06 PM, Old Roman said:

Andy: 

(in A26)

I tried Carpathian 3 times at medium map size (4 vs 4) and each time it put me in a valley  on a flank with no path out.  The first time I built a fortress up against a cliff and I was able to free 1 soldier up top  at a time by emptying a full house in that direction (So that bug  is still kind of there).

They were able to build a camp but by that time my allies were all too far gone. I found it odd that I was the only civ that was locked in in all of my three attempts

I changed to a normal sized map and the problem went away.

I don't know if its worth debugging (or if it can be reproduced) but it is an interesting map. I've really enjoyed Homer's delight, Stan's Sorrow and Cliffs of Carnage from the latest release.

I have remade the system to be more reliable, starting with giving every player a customized starting area, which should make the surrounding area more reproductible.
I would really recommend this map, the ramps to the different levels are much smaller and cramped, but much more likely to be traversable.

The new map-generator is linked down below.

And for fixing the map "Carpathian",
at line 16 is a variable

distHill = 45

increasing the variable makes the valley larger, and also make the ramps more likely to go all the way down and up to the plateaus and valleys.

The variable distHill is the amount of fields, every structure (valley/hill) is separated from each other.
The variable

randHillMax = 12

is an random displacement. Reducing the value reduces the amount of awkward geological features like cut of valley.
Reducing it to zero makes the whole topology look like honeycombs.

• Like 1

unknown, isthmus generation.

Spoiler

image.png.2cfc748bc8eb206f3c961e702080113a.png

I love these bugged islands all squished together, it makes for amazing gameplay. A central crossing with multiple potential flanking routes.

Ships are possible but not as effective as in the open ocean variant:

Spoiler

image.png.46df740b1a8745e2c0aa4dc8f95e8e46.png

and idk why anyone would want this generation, i guess it looks kinda cool. The islands don't really make for great gameplay.

Spoiler

image.png.ce2f6d433eadef207e3758e278df0f2c.png

One could reverse engineer the bug and find a way to make the map generate like the first picture every time.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
46 },
47 "Gaia": {
48 "tree1": "gaia/tree/fir_winter",
49 "tree2": "gaia/tree/fir_winter",
50 "tree3": "gaia/tree/temperate_winter",
51 "tree4": "gaia/tree/fir_winter",
52 "tree5": "gaia/tree/temperate_winter",
53 "fruitBush": "gaia/fauna_deer",
54 "chicken": "gaia/fauna_chicken",
55 "mainHuntableAnimal": "gaia/fauna_deer",
56 "secondaryHuntableAnimal": "gaia/fauna_deer",
57 "fish": "gaia/fish/generic",
58 "stoneLarge": "gaia/rock/polar_02",
59 "stoneSmall": "gaia/rock/alpine_small",
60 "metalLarge": "gaia/ore/polar_01",
61 "metalSmall": "gaia/ore/temperate_small"
62 },

I see that the berry spawns on gulf of bothnia frozen lake are instead deer. Was this intended? I guess it makes things seem more 'harsh' of an environment, but I would say this is holding back the multiplayer potential of the map.

I'd rather it just be berries.

2 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I also allowed a little space in between forests and hills in mainland, so that players do not get "walled in" by combinations of forests and hills.

Are there any other easy to fix issues people have with some random maps?

The only complaint I have is that more berries are missing, the only ones that are in the starting positions (in most maps).

Maybe more hunting on some other maps.

• 4 months later...

Just to say, the game's skirmish maps are amazing! :thumbup:

Real pretty! Yesterday I played in the "Mediterranean Coves" and, having spent many years down there, I did get the sudden urge to leave on a vacation... It only lacks the constant cicada background noise! The Hindu Kush map with it's hot sunset light was very suggestive too (especially since it's still sweltering hot here). Too many to mention, and I didn't try them all anyway.

I like when my maps make me travel, maybe because I don't travel as much as I used to. Atmosphere is very important to me, and 0 A.D. maps are amazing in that aspect. Thanks guys!

:notworthy:

Edited to add:
Forgot to add what I'd like to see -- More of the same please, but bigger. Same maps, in larger sizes?
Especially the maps for more than 2 players which are ridiculously crowded; I understand the competition folks like it when it means business, but my own thing is rather to "create my settlement despite the nasty neighbors". Said neighbors should be some way away, not right beyond the fog of war. There should be interesting landscapes to discover (and potentially use), things like that. Don't make it a cage fight.

Edited by krt0143
Add stuff
  • Thanks 1

Im currently working on reviving @badosu's maps for a26 and a27

function getFoodAmount(multiplier = 1, biomeConfig) {
  let initialFoodAmount = Math.floor(1 * biomeConfig.initialFood());
  dWarn("Mutiplier:"+multiplier+" biomeConfig.initialFood():"+biomeConfig.initialFood()+" resulting initialfoodamount:"+initialFoodAmount);
  if (biomeConfig['evenInitialFood']) {
    if (initialFoodAmount % 2 == 1) initialFoodAmount++;
  }

Have we done an update on the js version since a23? multiplier = 1 in the function declaration ends up being:

<p class="warning">WARNING: Mutiplier:[object Object]

Thus giving NaN to initialFoodAmount, unless I replace multiplier with 1 in the line defining this variable.

Not sure why defining multiplier in the declaration doesn't work. Would it be the same do do it within the function with the following?

multiplier = 1;
Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2

K they are all fixed, as far as I can tell for a26 and a27. Since the secondary animal for savannah is an elephant, its not super great at balancing those, but it is no more than 400/500 food res difference.

Maybe just see if you find any issues first.balancedmapsbyBAD.zip

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

Random map biomes need tertiary huntables too. :/ Sucks that a map using the biomes is limited to only 2 types of huntables. For instance, the Savana or Nubia biomes should have a wealth of animal types to hunt: Elephants, Crocodiles, Gazelles, Giraffe, Wildebeests, etc., which are all available for skirmish maps but not random map biomes. 

• Like 1