RANDOM MAPS: Suggestions, Bug reports and Ideas about random maps here.

I'm working on making wall_builder.js more generic.

This includes using the "Footprint" property of the templates.

However, this is matching the visual actor much less accurate than the information in wall_builder.js.

All tested footprints are bigger than the visual entities.

Here the gaps left by wall towers when the Footprint is used:

post-14196-0-47369200-1439493572_thumb.jpost-14196-0-06057500-1439493609_thumb.jpost-14196-0-30587100-1439493622_thumb.j

...some are just slightly bigger, others nearly 50% bigger.

Should I have used another property? And what is "Footprint" for if not matching the actor size?

The size of the "Footprint" is the size of the coloured box/circle around the base of a selected entity. It may have another use mind you, but...

Wall piece templates (or at least the ones used in wallset_*s) all invoke the WallPiece component, which takes the form:

<WallPiece>    <Length>38.0</Length>  </WallPiece>
This is used by the wall placement code (see "simulation/helpers/Walls.js") used when a player places a wall in game.

That said, I notice that the length given for the cart gate is shorter than the cart medium wall... which is evidently incorrect. Other given lengths may also be... off.

While you're at it, would it be wrong if I asked if you would replace all the instances of 0*PI in the file with simply 0? And 2*PI/2 with PI?

Edit: Added line about lengths possibly being wrong.

Edited by s0600204

@s0600204: Thanks much for the explanation what the "Footprint" property is originally meant for. Still I can't figure out why it's values vary that much compared to the actor's extend (which is even worse considering it's use for the hitbox as wowgetoffyourcellphone stated).

Concerning the usage of 0*PI: That was meant to clearly show that this argument is an angle (No Idea why I used 2*PI/2, the patch was more forced in like propperly reviewed back when it was added). I'll likely remove all of them as you asked (which is of cause appropriate ;) )

I'll try the WallPiece property but the ingame placement varies quite a lot from that in wall_builder.

EDIT:

The problem readjusting wall_builder.js mainy originate from this:

- The wall_builder was added prematurely

- The clean original wall concept (one scale per wall set, wall elements of the same type have the same length ratio within each wall set) was put to reality neither by the actor designers nor by the ingame wall placement (it was replaced by arbitrary length values only roughly matching the idea)

- wall_builder.js has extended functionality beyond the concept (originally due to the fact that no template information where available to RMS, wall set scales where the best available information anyways. Some team members strongly objected exposing template data to RMS so there was no reason to beleave that this would change)

- Mod support was added after wall_builder.js (as well as the ingame wall placement)

The WallPiece.Length property does not match the actor's size either (The distance between the towers is the WallPiece.Length value):
post-14196-0-75637700-1439543780_thumb.j

I put 3 towers next to each other and manually replaced the middle one to show that the poportion WallPiece.Length to actual actor width is neither 1 nor constant for different templates.

It might be that those values are optimized for ingame wall placement.

However, without correct information I can't remove the hardoded length values in in wall_builder.js without extending the number of propperties of the entity templates further or accepting to make the RMS wall placement fit worse.

Trying the Obstruction (though that will likely leave gaps when e.g. towers are cone-like)...

EDIT: For the Maurian tower the values match quite well.

The WallPiece.Length property values are more or less just coppied from the Obstruction values.

Actually they are to big, not to small. I had it wrong by a factor 2^(-0.5).

I'm adjusting WallPiece.Length to actually fit the space the given entity can fill in a wall without leaving gaps.

IMO this should have been done when the property/a new entity template with that property was added.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reminder (Random order):

1. Alpine Lakes: Unfair expansion mine distribution
  2. Alpine Valley: Unfair player and expansion mine distribution
  3. Amazon: There are some puddles (thanks fatherbushido ^^). Maybe lower water level slightly.
  4. Anatolian Plateau: IMO needs slightly more trees or at least decoration and strengthened elevation
  5. Belgian Uplands: Make it round. Adjust environment settings to be more bog like. Maybe increase elevation. Add spots (Groves, treasures, ruins, mist, ...)
  6. Caledonian Meadown: Forests grow into bases (Player bases height adjustment need to be done earlier)
  7. Cantabrian Highlands: Aren't the plateaus to small?
  8. Corinthian Isthmus: Water settings seam strange (at least in my system, feedback very welcome!)
  9. Deep Forest: Center cliff texture could need smoother transition to surroundings
  10. Empire: Better name suggestions?
  11. Guadalquivir River: Smooth delta, maybe make river more curvy
  12. Gulf of Bothnia: Uhm, there are seeds where the gulf is frozen. Really? Well, I guess it's fun x)
  13. Harbor: Remove Iberian walls or grand players more space
  14. Hell's Pass: Sharp transition from player base texture to surroundings (solve e.g. by using layered painter)
  15. ...

Also Atlas reports warnings and errors when generating a random map without triggers if a random map (or any map?) with triggers where generated beforehand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I'm playing against 2 to 3 very hard AI but so far there are very few maps that I have interest...I know no one "GAS" but...

1. Tuscan Acropolis very nice map but would love to have either 3 Acropolis on one side against 1 on the other. Or 2 vs 4. In addition the rivers should be wider and deep with maybe 3-4 shallow crossings. More animal types(horses, elephants for civ purposes) esp the wild ones. One nice addition are Gaia structures and ranked mercenaries or champions guarding.

2. Alphine valley is awesome but maybe larger to accommodate another player or more. In addition more animals and Gaia structures and toughest mercenaries or champs. 

3. Greek Acropolis is nice but one player on the right is not on the Acropolis. That river shouldn't be shallow with 3 crossings(wide). Maybe a larger map or right side player bigger with Acropolis farther away from the river. 

4. Caledonia meadows needs more animals. I once managed to have a map with a very big lake in the middle like a Mediterranean map in RoN but more land mass on opposite players side. I can't regenerate anymore unfortunately.

0AD naval maps are just not very interesting to play IMO. I think with 0AD gameplay naval battle is more interesting than AoE and RoN with ships being garrisoned.  

Skirmish and random naval maps lacks space to maneuver naval vessels. RoN maps like Atlantic Sea power and East Vs West have more water spaces in the middle.

Very plain terrain on many maps just don't  look good except on Mainland which doesn't look plain though because of some trees and resources placements. RoN Sahara plain/flat map posses better tactical gameplay because there are small mountains. I think there should be no stone and metal resources if there's no mountain like in Alphine Valley. 

Just watched one Aleksu YouTube for 3v3 on Red Sea and it was a nice game where all players are initially on one half side of the map. That map is good too but hard to generate. If it has Gaia structures and mercenaries on the other empty half it would be very interesting too.

BTW evertime the game is loaded the CCs are always facing downward of the screen?! Wouldn't it be nice if they are facing opposite enemies?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

@Servo "Caledonia meadows needs more animals"

Do you mean more huntables or domestic or fish or different types of animals?

I actually thought there where to many huntable animals and berry bushes. I reduced the ammount of fish due to reviewers requests BTW.

I agree we should have at least some maps that support teams being much closer to each other and allowing uneven teams. This shouldn't be the default though.

If you have the replay of the map you liked you can regenerate the map in Atlas by using the same random map seed.

• Like 2

@Lion.Kanzen In metadata.json search for "mapSetting" and you should find Seed there alongside the other settings.

To recreate the map setup Atlas to those settings - usually random map, map size (see below), and number of players should be enough - as listed in metadata.json and generate. You can save the map (as a scenario) then to replay it.

Map sizes strings correspond to the following map widths in tiles.

Tiny: 128
Small: 192
Medium: 256
Normal: 320
Large: 384
Very Large: 448
Giant: 512

The first line in commands.txt also contain the map settings.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For a SP game I wish we could have more maps with CCs are on bigger Acropolis, Tuscan Acropolis size is fine. I mostly play against 3 Hardest AIs on 300 pop if the lag allows and looking for good maps. 

One best map is Cycladic Archipelago but  CC be in Acropolis with very nice random fauna and faura. Instead of having hills on the edges I think it’s best CC situated in the Acropolis. One scenario to happen also is if the human player can be situated in the middle island and being ganged up by the sorrounding AIs. Gaia units can even spawn from time to time but not in a very large scale as in Danubius and Gallic fields. Too flat/plains below the Acropolis is not too nice too.

BtW since walls are being discussed here I noticed that when the terrain is not too flat the wall turrets can sometimes become lower than the wall and not looking really good.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I played a lot of games and have been Alpha game tester for many games including COD and BF  1, 2, 3, and 4, I have fixed glitches and bugs. I am a gamer and have seen many bugs and glitches still in the original maps. I know my screenshot is not the best ( fishes jumping from land and can not be collected ). I have only just started playing 0 A.D and found many that I can fix ( am now trying to find the location of these 2 fishes and fix the location properly ). Trees also in the water and can not be collected ( army still keep trying to gather it with 0 success ). I do not know if you do updating regularly or patches throughout the year. 

Screenshot from 2018-08-23 12-26-33.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it really is the Archipelago map, then its the fact that the “player islands” (created in both nomad and non-nomad) arent marked with the land tileclass. Not as prevalent in non nomad games as fish also avoids player tileclass IIRC. Atleast thats what I recall from the investigation during the A23 feature freeze starting days. So could be wrong, been a while.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the info that's great :). I was thinking as many have issues with hosting or connecting if it were possible to get https://www.gameservers.com/dedicated/ and to host the lobby and setup servers. You get 29 IP's and great bandwidth. I used game servers many times before, hosting COD, BF4 and other games. It is not to expensive. I would be willing to donate £10 - £15 ( that's a 5th of the cost p/m ). This would solve alot of issues. Having torrent files is good but if needed to update a map or upgrade, it would be easier to have one location i.e the dedicated server with independent IP ( game could be updated automatically ). Just a few suggestions.

With the dedicated, each IP would act as 1 server, this giving options, so when full ( 1 - 8 players ) it would auto start, they would be as default. Regarding 1v1, there would be like 5 - 9 IP's for this. 

How is this spam? it was a suggestion :((

Thank you Stan, BTW, I am going through every map fast 20x LOL. seeing glitches and bugs like I found on several. Taking a while but I am doing a complete depth of each map :). Any bugs I find, I will post here with SS. Feel would be easier for you guys to fix as you know all the files :). 

Edited by Trigger1982
Sorry about updating like this :(

40 minutes ago, Trigger1982 said:

Thanks for the info that's great :). I was thinking as many have issues with hosting or connecting if it were possible to get https://www.gameservers.com/dedicated/ and to host the lobby and setup servers. You get 29 IP's and great bandwidth. I used game servers many times before, hosting COD, BF4 and other games. It is not to expensive. I would be willing to donate £10 - £15 ( that's a 5th of the cost p/m ). This would solve alot of issues. Having torrent files is good but if needed to update a map or upgrade, it would be easier to have one location i.e the dedicated server with independent IP ( game could be updated automatically ). Just a few suggestions.

With the dedicated, each IP would act as 1 server, this giving options, so when full ( 1 - 8 players ) it would auto start, they would be as default. Regarding 1v1, there would be like 5 - 9 IP's for this. 

Why sound like spam?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen