Terrain erosion

Nice, but I am wondering what was autogenerated and what was authored? The heightmap was generated randomly and then 'flooded' to some height level? To which degree can the layout be controlled?

The heightmap is from Google. I just wrote the rmgen script to import it into the game and see what happens. I was curious if terrain erosion looks good with a low-fi mesh. It does, even without proper textures.

You wrote a script to import height maps? That one would be very useful by itself.

Alas, I cheated. I used GIMP's save-image-as-.h-file option to get the values as a comma-separated list and then used that to initialise an array in the rmgen script. :ph34r:

There have been a few fits and false starts over the years on implementing height map importation. Maybe this can be the final (successful) attempt. ;)

The problem is, the game uses Spidermonkey so I don't think there's a way to load files directly from Javascript, but it should be possible to do through Atlas...

How big is the map in the screenshot? It seems there's not much room to build and the scale of buildings to terrain is a bit off. The terrain shape itself looks good though.

Agreed. With shorelines and terrain that detailed, it seems like it should be placed on the largest map size available. Perhaps the importer can size the map based on the resolution of the height map.

Agreed. With shorelines and terrain that detailed, it seems like it should be placed on the largest map size available. Perhaps the importer can size the map based on the resolution of the height map.

Yeah, the heightmap in the screenshot was for a MUCH larger terrain. I'll need to resize the map to the heightmap size, that's the best solution.

I played around a bit and finally found a way of converting data of the SRTM into a heightmap.

You need:

http://earth.google.com/

http://www.ambiotek.com/topoview

and

http://www.micromous...ml#DownloadHelp

the result is a heightmap like this (if i remember correctly, this is near Kalkriese, where the battle of Varus took place)

vmp82jvhumry.jpg

Is this usable ingame? I'm too silly to manage to build the game with the new code^^

If yes, I can probably create heightmaps for famous battles that could be used for campaigns etc.

Edited by kosmo