Random Map Script: Pyrenean Sierra

Pyrenean Sierra random map based on the indication by Mythos (in Map and Biome guide). I did not completely follow the indications: there are two passes, and in some cases a path could be allowed around the mountains and in some others not (because it's really hard to control :) ).

I've included three different light settings: a sunny one, a cumulus one, and a stormy one, which look very different... I'm not too sure about the later, though. I think it'd look cooler with myconid's improvements, but I couldn't really try.

(screenshots are a "Very large, sunny" map, and a "small, stormy" one).

rv49Os.jpg ppyMts.jpg

Note: this requires the latest SVN version as of July the 2nd.

pyrenean_sierra.zip

Edited by wraitii
  • Like 1

You cheated! I wanted to make that one! :balrog:

Just joking. :D Nice map. I think the forest floors can be improved to be matched better with the terrain and the ocean floor can be some wet sand instead of the "thing" it is now. And it is better to write a little more description about the map.

Overall nice work. :thumbsup:

Map loaded like this:

0ADRandomMap04.jpg

I didn't receive any errors when it was loading, so not sure what happened. But i did take a look around - I'll be honest and say I don't like the mountain in the middle being perfectly straight, but the terrain textures and mountain tops look really good. Perhaps adding more variety to the thickness of the mountain range will help visually and not impact map balance too much.

The coastline looks really nice too :)

Great map! Finally a map with lots of trees but not too many. Looks like more of a boom-and-build kind of map than a rusher's map because of the narrow passes.

[rant] One thing is that maybe the sea should have some fish. That's one thing i've noticed with a lot of maps: not enough fish. Fishing really was a very important source of food in the classical age, and since fish aren't infinite, there should be a lot of them on all naval maps. [/rant]

@Pureon: was it on the latest SVN version? I've forgot to say it, but I discovered a bug with the water setting level during the creation of this map, which Spahbod fixed very recently.

I should give a try at making the mountains less perfectly straight.

@Mythos: I could consider that for larger map, but I feel like for small maps it would crowd everything too much. Will try.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, tonight I wanted to ask you what happened to this map. It is now much better. I think you should change the sea floor into "sand wet" because it looks ugly with fancy water off. Apart from that, I think it is ready to be committed. :)

PS:And don't forget a stretched preview.

Edit: To sort the players, use this:

playerIDs = primeSortPlayers(sortPlayers(playerIDs));

And remove "log (heightDiff);" from line 648

Last I read on IRC we were doing a 400x300 preview image aligned top left on a 512x512 image - no stretching. Has this changed again?

An aligned picture won't work. I can't explain how with my poor english but it won't work without further changes in the code.

All previews are 400x300 right now... I made one at this size.

Made the changes you recommanded, Spahbod, and added a few more fishes. I don't believe there is any other problem, so I'm going to go ahead and commit it.

edit: and committed with a wrong commit message. Oh well, let's say it's obvious.

Actually, that's normal. The map doesn't work in alpha 10 because some stuffs had to be fixed in a few other files. They are in the SVN version, but were not back in alpha 10.

I believe if you look at the beginning of the thread, there is a sort of fix. Or wait for Alpha 11, which hopefully won't be in too long.

Yeah, I had forgotten about the fact it wasn't supported in Alpha 10. I had been waiting for Alpha 11 for that very reason, but between 0 A.D. and the Ultimate Empire at War (UEaW) mod (for the Forces of Corruption (FoC) expansion to Star Wars: Empire at War (EaW)) being left incomplete and requiring SVN in order to play, I got TortiseSVN recently, since using such tools is something I should probably get more experience doing being a programmer.

Edited by Zeta1127

Actually, that's normal. The map doesn't work in alpha 10 because some stuffs had to be fixed in a few other files. They are in the SVN version, but were not back in alpha 10.

I believe if you look at the beginning of the thread, there is a sort of fix. Or wait for Alpha 11, which hopefully won't be in too long.

But you can set the default height to 4, can't you? It is currently -100 (actually less than that because there is a height range in the game)