Previewing a map in the game setup screen.

Can't we just change the preview box to a square and use 512x512 images?

zoot and luziferius are correct.

If the golden ratio ever taught me anything, it's that squares aren't pleasing to the eye.

because of the perspective the complete map shots are elliptic, using square images would add much black space that doesn’t contain any information other than "it’s black"

when designed images are used, it would be ok

Agreed to the above.

• Like 1

I'm really against having images stretched to the correct dimensions, even if the result isn't too bad.

A little stretching isn't going to be that noticeable and it's much less effort to put a single constraint on the images (512x512), rather than saying the result has to be 512x512 but make sure it looks OK when cropped to an arbitrary ratio that could change whenever we modify the UI (and similarly for requiring the user to "pre-stretch" the image to an arbitrary ratio which gets offset again by the engine).

A little stretching isn't going to be that noticeable and it's much less effort to put a single constraint on the images (512x512), rather than saying the result has to be 512x512 but make sure it looks OK when cropped to an arbitrary ratio that could change whenever we modify the UI (and similarly for requiring the user to "pre-stretch" the image to an arbitrary ratio which gets offset again by the engine).

How is the technically imposed ratio any less arbitrary than one that works visually?

Slightly off-topic but related to the scenarios: Mythos, could you create some new sub-categories? For example:

-1 Tech demo (Pathfinding, battle, decals, ....)

-2 Civ. Showcase (Romans, Persians, ...)

-3 ....

At the moment all scenarios are put together in one category. Slightly messy imo. Any comments?

Also, please change 'Matches' into 'Skirmish' for Alpha 11 :P

You need to add a "Preview" = "xxx.png" to the settings of the map in the xml file.

I'll need a proper example, then I'll be good to go.

400x300 for the images then?

EDIT: Got it working. :) Might not be able to do them all before work, but I'll get some done and commit.

EDIT 2: One request for the map drop down list: When I select a map, then go to the drop list again, I think the list should start at the selected map, instead of starting over again at the top. It's a usability thing.

Thank you very much. (y) I'll commit them into the SVN.

I’ll assume thats a "Yes, please do the rest!" :hypocrite:

so here you go (upload runs, should be 100 files when finished): http://luziferius.lu.../0ad/Scenarios/

I’ve done those by using Atlas + KSnapshot and batch process the pics in Phatch

While creating those I noticed several bugs:

• These maps throw errors that files can’t be found (celtic war dogs, easy to reproduce):
    Arcadia II
    Gallic Fields
    The Massacre of Delphi
  • When loading several maps one after another Atlas begins to flicker(at first reloading the map helps, but then even restarting Atlas does not help anymore, complete user logout/login fixes it for some time)
    Atlas changes between showing the background and the drawing area quickly while moving the mouse, and shows only the background when mouse stops
    Screenshot
  • particle effects stay across map loadings (but fade away since they aren’t looped anymore in the new map, noticable best with dust/smoke effects)
  • file names aren’t optimal:
    you use roman numbers in filenames(not always), but arabic(12345…, not always) in the descriptions, should be swapped
    some maps use _ as word seperator, most use " "(whitespace)
    some unplayable maps aren’t marked as demos(like Tropical Island)
    I think it would be better to name demo maps with "demo_"-prefix and sandbox maps with "sandbox_" prefix (so they stick together)

What about using this as the no-preview-available-texture :wink2::bangin: :

nopreview.png

Edited by luziferius