Previewing a map in the game setup screen.

I would have done that if there was a way to find the resolution.

So currently there is no way to do resolution dependent scaling? Is this in the entire UI or just the setup screen? If it's the entire UI couldn't we just query the system somewhere in hwdetect.js and send the response to a UI variable?

(sorry for my silly questions, I'm still not familiar with the 0ad codebase.)

Edited by Josh

It took more than I anticipated to make it use relative positioning but I'm satisfied with the result. See it for yourself. :)

gamesetup.zip

It looks really good :). Do you think the reveal map and teams locked boxes would look better in drop-downs for the sake of consistency?

Also can the dropped-down part of the drop-down scale?

And as they say, a picture says a thousand words:

post-14700-0-71692600-1342104441_thumb.p

Edited by Josh

It looks really good :). Do you think the reveal map and teams locked boxes would look better in drop-downs for the sake of consistency?

Also can the dropped-down part of the drop-down scale?

And as they say, a picture says a thousand words:

post-14700-0-71692600-1342104441_thumb.p

Unfortunately, both answers are no. At least, for now.

Reveal map is going to change to a dropdown of "None, Explored, Reveal" but that's not something I'd be going to do and what option should we put there for teams locked? A checkbox is much more relevant here.

For the other one, well, I'm afraid I can't do anything about it. Not without changing some of the core UI code that can cause other problems elsewhere.

Unfortunately, both answers are no. At least, for now.

Reveal map is going to change to a dropdown of "None, Explored, Reveal" but that's not something I'd be going to do and what option should we put there for teams locked? A checkbox is much more relevant here.

For the other one, well, I'm afraid I can't do anything about it. Not without changing some of the core UI code that can cause other problems elsewhere.

OK :(. Do you think what you currently have could be committed to the SVN? Even without the changes I still think it looks a lot better :thumbup: .

I really like Josh's mockup (?), post 130 in this thread.

Anyhow, a big improvement over the current lay-out.

His mockup is not very different from the current behavior except that it has some flaws that are not present in the latest version of the concept.

OK :(. Do you think what you currently have could be committed to the SVN? Even without the changes I still think it looks a lot better :thumbup: .

What I currently have can be committed into SVN at any moment. But it is better to see what other member think about it. :)

Looks good to me and IMO it solves a problem we've noticed for some time: new players have apparently been overlooking the "Match type" dropdown and the filter as well. Now it should be obvious there are some options. This layout also solves the problem of the UI looking empty on wide screens :)

A few minor cosmetic bugs on the multiplayer client window (dropdown should be hidden, text should be visible):

post-10080-0-63706700-1342132837_thumb.p

I'm sure they can be fixed easily and I'd also say commit it (y)

Looks good to me and IMO it solves a problem we've noticed for some time: new players have apparently been overlooking the "Match type" dropdown and the filter as well. Now it should be obvious there are some options. This layout also solves the problem of the UI looking empty on wide screens :)

A few minor cosmetic bugs on the multiplayer client window (dropdown should be hidden, text should be visible):

post-10080-0-63706700-1342132837_thumb.p

I'm sure they can be fixed easily and I'd also say commit it (y)

Fixed and committed. :D

I like the new changes, however I cannot see any preview and I get this:

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glCompressedTexImage2D(invalid width or height for compression format)
ERROR: CRenderer::EndFrame: GL errors occurred
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glCompressedTexImage2D(invalid width or height for compression format)

This is probably because textures are not power of two.

Also would not be better to put the Match setup on top and Players setup under it? The Match setup has to be done before Player setup, which change depending on the map.

Edited by fabio

I like the new changes, however I cannot see any preview and I get this:

ERROR: CRenderer::EndFrame: GL errors occurred

This is probably because textures are not power of two.

Also would not be better to put the Match setup on top and Players setup under it? The Match setup has to be done before Player setup, which change depending on the map.

That problem is going to be fixed in time. Which OS are you using though?

Well, we experienced many possibilities and this was the best one.

That won't work. We should create 512x384 screenshots and sketch them to 512x512. The GUI engine will take care of the rest.

That's not a good solution I'm afraid, both in terms of image quality and ease of creation. Creating a 512x512 image and only seeing the top part of it should be sufficient, why wouldn't that work?

Remember fans will be creating their own maps, and they may not know how to use image editing programs.

That's not a good solution I'm afraid, both in terms of image quality and ease of creation. Creating a 512x512 image and only seeing the top part of it should be sufficient, why wouldn't that work?

Remember fans will be creating their own maps, and they may not know how to use image editing programs.

The quality will not be a concern as far as I have experienced but in terms of ease of creation, well, you can still use non-power-of-two images but they won't work in debug mode.

That won't work. We should create 512x384 screenshots and sketch them to 512x512. The GUI engine will take care of the rest.

"Stretch" you mean? There's no reason why what I'm proposing can't work. The GUI code can handle taking a range of pixels from an image. And displaying an image in its native resolution would look better than stretching, then re-shrinking it. :) But here, let's see what your idea looks like first.

Yeah, again, I think there should be a "Take Preview Screenshot" option in Atlas that does all this for the designer.