Previewing a map in the game setup screen.

That's not 1024x768 :P It gives me an idea though. To help fill in the empty space on larger displays, we could expand the map preview and description -- the right side of that mockup, instead of only the player assignment area (as it is now). And if we resize the player assignment area, let's make sure it's not all aligned to the left, but the extra space is evenly distributed per column.

That's not 1024x768 :P It gives me an idea though. To help fill in the empty space on larger displays, we could expand the map preview and description -- the right side of that mockup, instead of only the player assignment area (as it is now). And if we resize the player assignment area, let's make sure it's not all aligned to the left, but the extra space is evenly distributed per column.

:P I was only 'designing' the preview image box, not the overall layout of the page, so wasn't focusing on any particular resolution. The preview image should not scale, so I don't know how the right column would expand?

I have no objections then. :) When shall I commit the new ui?

Note: The engine sketches the preview image if it doesn't fit the whole thing. That means that it is not necessary to have a preview exactly at the same size.

I sketched the player assignment area. How do you think?

post-12825-0-15909000-1341207948_thumb.j

i like it. It is in the right direction!

Now that we have some extra space...

Are we going to start distinguishing between the different types of maps: like scenarios, random maps, etc - maybe with a dropdown above the map preview?

I think almost every texture we have is power of two :) I found one that isn't and should be fixed: art\textures\ui\session\portraits\emblems\emblem_athens.png (128x125)

I agree that all we have to do is stretch them before and after. Atlas could do that automatically if we integrate the preview capturing with it.

The preview should be something like 400x300 (Or more specifically, 398x298) or the game will sketch it to that size.

gamesetup.zip

This one is a little tricky. Should go to "art/textures/ui/icons/session/mappreview/"

mappreview.zip

It's broken at 1024x768, all the controls overlap :(

Also I hate having to move from one side of the screen to the other for related actions, in this case opening the map selection is on the right, choosing a map is on the left, then you have to move back to the right to OK it. (Especially annoying at 1920x1080)

Is there a way to find the resolution of the page?

Don't think so. The best thing is probably to design something that looks good at 1024x768 (easy to test with windowed mode, default.cfg or user.cfg can be set with yres/xres) and then just stretch things for higher resolution, distributing the extra space. It doesn't allow some fancy behavior but it mostly works :)