Previewing a map in the game setup screen.

Well, I think everyone (including me) wants such a preview. So I added it. The programming side of the thing for random maps is completed and it won't be difficult to do the same for scenarios. The only things that remain are art related. As you can see in the screenshot, it is horribly ugly. It would be nice if someone from art department makes a good texture for around the preview so that it doesn't look so odd. Also I'm waiting for suggestions about the size/placement.

post-12825-0-10818300-1340798914_thumb.j

Will the random map seen be the one finally available? I'd rather not. It loses some of the fun of "random" maps. In this case, perhaps a "picture not necessarily exact" warning of some kind might be interesting.

Good addition overall, though you should probably place it somewhere else. But that whole screen should be redone anyway.

The programming side of the thing for random maps is completed and it won't be difficult to do the same for scenarios.

How it works: uses pregenerated preview images or generates them on the fly?

Also I'm waiting for suggestions about the size/placement.

One of the options is to show the preview on the separate tab. It has obvious drawback that you don't see everything at once (i.e. both players assignments and preview), but in this case preview will be as large as possible (so more details will be visible), and in case if current tab index will be saved when another map is selected (and it should as I think) you will be able to either to look at players settings (as you currently can) or to previews while iterating over maps list.

Will the random map seen be the one finally available? I'd rather not. It loses some of the fun of "random" maps. In this case, perhaps a "picture not necessarily exact" warning of some kind might be interesting.

Good addition overall, though you should probably place it somewhere else. But that whole screen should be redone anyway.

No. It is just a pre-generated image taken by atlas.

How it works: uses pregenerated preview images or generates them on the fly?

Pre-generated of course.

Then the next question: when images are generated? Is this process triggered manually?

Edit: or they just created manually (as screenshots) and placed where game expects to find them?

Manually. I created a folder in session/icons/ called "mappreview" and placed the files there. There is a "nopreview.png" there that works as placeholder for maps that don't have a preview yet (which meant all maps except aegean sea). So that when someone creates a new random map and didn't make the screenshot, the game won't break.

Edit: The name of the preview image is defined in the map's JSON file.

Minimap needs to be generated. Also what is the problem with the current image?

Using an autogenerated map avoids differences when the map changes (see for example the screenshot that appear during game load, some, e.g. Iberian fortress, are different from the current game content, changed in the meantime). Also less work for the artists.

Using an autogenerated map avoids differences when the map changes (see for example the screenshot that appear during game load, some, e.g. Iberian fortress, are different from the current game content, changed in the meantime). Also less work for the artists.

I agree, though the nice view which Spahbod used should be just as easy to generate. A pro like myconid could probably figure it out if he didn't already have tons of things to do :)

Edited by zoot

Those screenshots can simply be changed, I'm not going to use any Iberians in the screenshots and the point of that image is to show the map's general look not the details. Also an auto generated image will be a lot more work for programmers.

I like wraitii's concept. Many games I've played have a similar level selection menu. It is detailed yet in a nice layout that is pleasing to the eyes. With a little touch up from the GUI/Art departments this concept would improve the level selection menu for the better :)

If you're using the left side completely, it might even be worth to remove the "land map-naval map-demo map" box, and to list each of them on the left in categories, this way:

-- Land Maps --

Acropolis

Oasis

Whatever

-- Naval Maps --

Archipelago

Islands

Whatever

--Demo Maps--

…

I think it would be an easy-ish way to improve the interface.

I think in a rearranged title screen it could, along with the preview, fit in the middle of the screen.

Using my Ugly Photoshop Powers©, I'd say something like this:

post-9128-0-69586300-1340802463_thumb.jp

Looks like an improvement over all. The thing to consider is where to put e.g. the chat when setting up a multiplayer match, but with an lobby for that it probably needs to be different anyway as the needs are different.

If you're using the left side completely, it might even be worth to remove the "land map-naval map-demo map" box, and to list each of them on the left in categories, this way:

-- Land Maps --

Acropolis

Oasis

Whatever

-- Naval Maps --

Archipelago

Islands

Whatever

--Demo Maps--

…

I think it would be an easy-ish way to improve the interface.

I agree with this too, often the dropdown menus are ignored, so we should see how this works. We've moved our Naval maps into their own category to reduce their usage as AIs don't perform well on island maps. The plan moving forward is to have a smaller selection of 'recommended' maps visible initially, while the others are accessed using the map categories.

I would prefer these images not to be a capture of the full map but rather of a of a local area showing it's traits (e.g. a river, an island, a cliff, a forest ..). It would be more beautiful IMHO, avoids to reveal too much information (preserve the map discovery excitement), and give the player an idea of what the maps looks like, so that he can pick one.

What about this layout?

For me it feels more common to have the picture on the upper right corner. It's also more logical for the "workflow" of configuring a game. You first choose the map and how large it should be and after that you setup the players.

post-7202-0-36301800-1340827517_thumb.pn