Think for including Asian and Far Eastern factions.

Not everything happened in Europe.... Even I believe the other part of the old world had fiercer warriors and skills.... Even the technology was better accomplished...

Though I know that there was no direct conflict between the eastern and western factions, its still worth!!!!

I am very happy about inclusion of the Mauryans (even though Porus was NOT a Mauryan). Its a great step and I hope we come up with Chinese Dynasties, the Chola kingdoms, the Kalingas, South Eastern factions.....

Well, I've read The Art of War, but I think today Machiavelli and Clausewitz are better to study. Nonetheless, they were written a long time after Sun Tzu's book. About new factions, there will be like 10? with the Mauryan faction I think. I think if there are added a lot more it'll be quite hard to make the factions 'feel' different.

well someday come to india, and see yourself, unity in diversity.....

The most diverse are by culture is the subcontinent itself..

Comming to the ancient period, we have the western aryans, go further south, cross the river jhelum you will meet porus. The diversity starts from here....

The mauryans have varied cosmopoliton interests and empire as large as what alexander covered...

In south we have cheras, cholas and pandyas. Try to beat their navy and say wow.

Chinese are totally different in every aspect, used to fighting in marshy or plateu area. China can contain as many as three factions comparable to th korean, the japs of aoe 2.

Come to south east asia, though not much difference is there, it is comparable to the aztecs and mayan differences.

There is more to The Art of War than its methodology on military strategy and tactics. I consider it to be superior to Machiavelli and Clausewitz. The total warfare methodology championed by Clausewitz has been proved time and time again to be inferior to Sun Tzu's methodology. The Far East still has things to teach the Western World.

At some point of time, we have to add the eastern half, as nobody will call an aoe style game, with only handfull of civ....

Maybe, we can complete the game with the handfull west, and then get into asia, with a revised edition next year....

0ad has to go very far.... We are on alpha, then we get to beta, then we get to test and then release candidates, then final version... We have lots of time too.

0ad has to go very far.... We are on alpha, then we get to beta, then we get to test and then release candidates, then final version... We have lots of time too.

No new civilizations should be added once we're out of Alpha. Nor any new gameplay features. The only things which should be done then are balance fixes, code improvements (to improve performance etc), bug fixes, overall graphics code (i.e. things which improve things overall without requiring a lot of things to be remade/edited), and non-gameplay additions (the translation system could be added in an early beta perhaps for example, and a config dialog doesn't have to be done before we call it a beta, and improvements to the multiplayer lobby and such things).

Actually the content is pretty much guaranteed. 0 AD has 7 detailed factions with detailed tech tress in the works along with complete profiles of each faction that include a range of units and buildings. Not to mention the awesome gameplay that can keep one entertained for hours at end. On top of that there are the confirmed but not yet implemented features that will augment the gameplay experience. The game continunes to evolve and improve, thats why its in alpha. Don't worry the content will get there but like Erik and many others have said, the focus is about having a finished product first. Analogy: One cannot have the best car body and best interior design and expect it drive well if the engine is missing. A bit stretched but I hope you get the point. :))

Why the need of going so far east? I'd rather have them keep with the general theme. If one wants more factions, there is still enough material in the region, yes even when it's uniqueness you are looking at.

1. Because it makes possible to see clash of civs and historical units from different sides of the world that never happened in history
  2. To gain more audience und participants from the east

Edited by majapahit

The mauryan addition is excellent step forward... I saw the factions link on the main page of the 0AD website... There was no mention of mauryans, but there was a mention of germans, eastern romans, huns...

If these are the future factions, then it would surely add content but no twist :-o

Adding asian factions will add to twist... As mythos said waiting for the sweetest fruit is the best bet

what would be the roadmap of part two? I seldom hear about part 2, but I think that the most advance age of part two will be a start of dark age!! in europe......

All I want to say is that if not in part 1, part 2 should have the balance of the whole world in general..

The inclusion of mauryans is a great step forward, and I must congrujulate everyone involved...

Edited by sankrant.chaubey