Wall Gates - how should they work

luziferius

Check out the Iberian gate. Not only is it low poly, and could stand a remodel anyways to bring it up to Civ Center/Temple/Fortress quality, but the way the gate's round towers joins with the round towers right next to it look bad.

On a totally un-related note, I've just discovered that you can build walls on top of gates. And then turn those walls into gates themselves. And then build another wall over the top of that :) I've written it up in ticket 1529.

Edited by gudo

lol, that's one of my new models :down:

Thanks for the bug report. There are still a few issues with the new system

I like the model but it's very different from the other gates because of the "towers" at the ends. It fits well between two wall towers and leave a gap if you put a wall next to it (see random map "Wall Demo" at the bottom though this is not the common case ofc).

I like differences between races though so I'd just make it a bit longer to fit directly to a wall. Sorry for grousing :unsure:

lol, that's one of my new models :down:

>_> I took another look at it and realized I got confused. I thought the wooden crenelations were like on the scout tower: perfectly even and round. I didn't see that each boar was it's own piece of the model. Still though, it looks like it was designed as a stand-alone structure and not as a piece of a wall. It's certainly usable, don't get me wrong :) I'd rather you work on replacing some of the outdated Hellene buildings and making new Mauryan structures.

Hooray double post. Found another bug, submitted as ticket 1531. Currently, it is impossible to replace wall towers once they are destroyed without first destroying all connecting wall segments.

when you place a wall tower, it snaps to nearby wall towers. you may try to implement that it also snaps to nearby loose wall ends, that would solve the problem

You know... If you check trac, specifically changeset 12081 you'd see that gates are in SVN. Currently, they lack animations and a few may need to be re-modeled. But the important thing is that they are in and they work!

Correction, they DID work. Now when I load up the fortress map I get a mess of errors about the gate, the gates themselves disappear for everyone, and the upgrade buttons on wall pieces are gone. Hence my popping over here today.

Edit: Gave it another try on the continent map playing as Iberian, I got the upgrade button to show, but a bunch of errors when I tried to change the wall piece to a gate.

Edited by chaosislife

Correction, they DID work. Now when I load up the fortress map I get a mess of errors about the gate, the gates themselves disappear for everyone, and the upgrade buttons on wall pieces are gone. Hence my popping over here today.

Edit: Gave it another try on the continent map playing as Iberian, I got the upgrade button to show, but a bunch of errors when I tried to change the wall piece to a gate.

I think you need to rebuild the game.

when get order lock and the gate are already open the gates dont close if there are units close to gates, in other games, walls close immediately

Even if units are passing through the gate, so it crushes them? :unsure: I suggested not making the gate close immediately as it created the possibility of a unit becoming trapped on an impassable tile. Maybe better would be to test the area immediately within the gate for unit obstructions, instead of the much larger opening range.

Test the smaller area for sure. This lets us jam the gate open with a well timed rush. :)

I like that aspect of it too. Gates shouldn't be magic, there should be a risk involved in opening them, which is in the middle of a battle, you risk letting the enemy in. There's no way you could close and lock a gate in practice with enemies already inside, you need to drive them back first.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I have a proposal. (I'm yet to understand the game design, so pardon if there are some parts that are obviously impossible to implement).

1. Gates operated by two soldiers, each on the sides of the gates. It could be pre-added or garrisoned soldiers, but the most important part is that gates uses their LOS.

2. Every time a unit is in the gatekeepers LOS, the gate reacts automatically. It opens for friendly units and keep closed for enemies. If there are both the gates prefer to be closed (sacrificed the friendly units outside)

3. There is an option for gates to be manually opened/closed.

4. The gates opens slowly, takes about 5 seconds to be fully opened so you could be sure who are you letting inside.

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I have a proposal. (I'm yet to understand the game design, so pardon if there are some parts that are obviously impossible to implement).

1. Gates operated by two soldiers, each on the sides of the gates. It could be pre-added or garrisoned soldiers, but the most important part is that gates uses their LOS.

2. Every time a unit is in the gatekeepers LOS, the gate reacts automatically. It opens for friendly units and keep closed for enemies. If there are both the gates prefer to be closed (sacrificed the friendly units outside)

3. There is an option for gates to be manually opened/closed.

4. The gates opens slowly, takes about 5 seconds to be fully opened so you could be sure who are you letting inside.

Do you play the regular Alpha release? The current development version (in the SVN repository) implements gates almost exactly as you describe :) So you can expect it in the next Alpha release. No visual gatekeepers though, and I do not think a gate sacrifices units when enemies are near. One or two enemies slipping through are not a big problem with a defense tower nearby.

Do you play the regular Alpha release? The current development version (in the SVN repository) implements gates almost exactly as you describe :) So you can expect it in the next Alpha release. No visual gatekeepers though, and I do not think a gate sacrifices units when enemies are near. One or two enemies slipping through are not a big problem with a defense tower nearby.

(It doesn't include any units inside though, and most likely will not. If modders will want to add something like that they can feel free to, but for the main game it's too much micromanagement for little or no gain.)

So there is downloadable nightly build? Wow, haven't tried yet... If I'm not wrong one of the tower in a civilization I've played have one visual soldiers upside. It would be nice to have it in the gates too... So the gates only open and closed? No attacker inside (arrows when near enemy)?

If I'm not wrong one of the tower in a civilization I've played have one visual soldiers upside. It would be nice to have it in the gates too... So the gates only open and closed? No attacker inside (arrows when near enemy)?

One of the Celt defense towers has an infantry unit attached as a prop, but the unit isn't animated and doesn't add to gameplay in any way. There are no plans to have units on top of gates or walls for Part 1 release, but lets see what happens in the future.

For Windows there are regular builds but not every night. For all platforms you can build the game yourself, just look at the Build Instructions. It does require a bit of knowledge on computing, especially if things go wrong.

If one is on Ubuntu one can try the development snapshot PPA: https://launchpad.net/~wfg/+archive/0ad.dev :) It's not updated every day, but far more often than the alpha release PPA ;)